Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-24-16, 01:26 PM  
Scorpio6

The Blood Pressure Police

Big Pharma now has another weapon in its arsenal to push additional products. The Blood Pressure Police.

I am already on as much rx as I can tolerate without getting sick or an allergic reaction and normally it is a good enough reading my family dr is satisfied with it. Also, according to the directions with my home blood pressure machine, one is not supposed to take a reading within 1 hr of eating or exercising, and you are supposed to sit quietly for 15 minutes before taking the reading. In addition, illness, an infection, lack of activity, and being in a doctor's office (white coat hypertension) can elevate the reading. In my case, a reading taken with the machines in the offices instead of a manual blood pressure (with a sphygmomanometer) gives an inaccurate reading and the machine cuff is actually painful.

Last week in the eye doctor's office within an hour of eating plus hiking with my arthritic hip all over the medical center and up and down the halls in the doctor's office, they took a machine blood pressure reading on me and guess what it was high. I also had been sick for over 2 wks with ear infections, on antibiotics, and not exercising much at all because of the dizziness. So they bitched at me about the blood pressure like that's going to be any help.

Then this morning the Blood Pressure Police called me from the medical center wanting to talk about it. One of the biggest causes of falls with seniors is over-medication. I refuse to call her back, it won't accomplish anything and will just spike my blood pressure from aggravation having to talk to stupid people. Incidentally, my family doctor just renewed my rx for valium to assist the blood pressure rx I'm already on.

And now I'm ready for a stress-busting session of aerobic weight training.
Scorpio6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-16, 02:10 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

I am so sorry that this is giving you so much irritation. I feel for you!

I can never get a good reading with machines. a human doing a manual reading is the only one that comes out fine, even in the dr's office.

a few times, I told my PCP that my home digital BP machine showed high-ish readings, and in his opinion, he didn't consider it high, and relied on the readings of his staff, which were lower.

isn't it ironic that the "help" we're getting from medical care is the source of our ills?

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-16, 02:15 PM  
monterey vidiot
VF Supporter

Wow. I had no idea. My BP has always been on the low side of normal. I do recall that it was higher than usual the first time I had an office visit with the oncologist.
monterey vidiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-16, 04:10 PM  
athompson10
VF Supporter

Grrrr. I'm sure the BP Police flag any high reading that gets entered into the computer, regardless of the circumstances behind it. How frustrating that they can't take the time to read your chart or just check in with you in a non-preachy way. Get in that workout - I hope there's some punching and kicking involved!

Quote:
Originally Posted by monterey vidiot View Post
Wow. I had no idea. My BP has always been on the low side of normal. I do recall that it was higher than usual the first time I had an office visit with the oncologist.
The only time I had a high reading, my (very good) internist said, wow, this is out of the blue, what did you do today? I told her I did a hard cardio session, had a flu shot and gulped a double espresso as I was walking into her waiting room. She smiled and said, yeah, guess we'll do your BP next visit!
Old 10-24-16, 04:23 PM  
Juliepie
VF Supporter

Always ask to have your BP taken the old-fashioned way...those electronic takers always skew high.

Surely a person of sense would submit to anything, like exercise, so as to obtain a well functioning mind and a pleasant, happy life. --Socrates
Juliepie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-16, 04:26 PM  
Jeanne Marie

I am one of those who experiences what they call the "white coat syndrome". No kidding... it's higher in the doctor's office than it ever is elsewhere.

Mine has been on the low side of normal my whole life. I can remember doctors being concerned when I was pregnant because it was so low. So my theory, for what it's worth, is that doctors jump to put people on BP meds too quickly. There can always be extenuating circumstances.

Same thing with cholesterol. It seems that nobody thinks about the fact that people are different, and different readings/levels can be different and not necessarily require medication. I was just talking to my neighbor who is sedentary, overweight and over 60 and she is on 4 different BP meds and her doctor is trying to add a 5th. What??

I'm with you Scorpio. I wouldn't call back either.
Old 10-24-16, 04:41 PM  
Juliepie
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeanne Marie View Post
I am one of those who experiences what they call the "white coat syndrome".
I get that too...I'll often get my vitals taken/retaken toward the end of the doctor visit.

Surely a person of sense would submit to anything, like exercise, so as to obtain a well functioning mind and a pleasant, happy life. --Socrates
Juliepie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-16, 05:48 PM  
Fitstick

Interesting thread! When I had my annual physical exam last year, they told me that my blood pressure was high. This is unheard of as I often test it and it has always been normal to low. When I was at my dentist about a week later, the dental assistant was telling me how great my blood pressure reading was -- so I told her about my experience at the doctor. I do dread going to the doctor, so that is interesting. The doctor wanted me to have it checked into further and recommended I go to another doctor but I did not follow up. It will be interesting to see what happens when I go back in for a physical this week.
Fitstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-16, 06:13 PM  
bolieikl
VF Supporter

My blood pressure is great at home. 100/60 or 110/70 . It is sky high.....and I do mean "sky high" at the doctor's office. I have to go through the same speech that I give every single time I go to the doctor. But I check it regularly at home and it is always great. I am so afraid they will make me take medicine and that will cause it to be too low and cause me to feel horrible. I wish I could control my fear of doctors.

Linda
bolieikl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-16, 07:24 PM  
LynnO
VF Supporter

Oh goodness. I hear you though. i get physicals for work and have an "alternative female pattern" ekg. And for some reason, no one can ever find the 5 -10 other ekg's I've had the last 15 years. People really freak out when you have a pattern that could indicate heart attack, if only it hadn't been like that for as long as i can remember. And believe me, I tell them repeatedly beforehand.

Until recently, it was also pretty slow- so irregular was all over the automatic reads. And no, redoing it another 5 times isn't going to change it. Well, it speeds it up as I get more irritated.

I laughed at my last results, (they messed up the hearing test, then the right person wasn't there for the recheck, so I never had the follow up). You're a bit fat, can't hear and might drop from a heart attack any second, but no work restrictions. Ha ha. Make those 25 year old, 200 lb kids I work with feel safe that I can help rescue them.
LynnO is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
blood pressure, high blood pressure, steel cut oats