Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-26-16, 09:58 AM  
Jewels5

How far would you travel for a Transfirmer?

I am new to The Firm and feeling a little unsteady on my high step, possibly because I work out on puzzle mats? I never noticed this when using it for Cathe workouts but maybe because the moves didn't feel as fast and frequent? Anyway, I have seen a couple on Craig's List but they've been pretty far from me. Just wondered if it was worth the drive (45-50 minutes without traffic) to purchase a Transfirmer. A fanny lifter seems out of the question.

Thanks!

"To the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world." -Heather Cortez
Jewels5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-16, 10:32 AM  
Candiceena

OMG, I would kill for a Transfirmer.

I have a fanny lifter and I hang onto that thing for dear life!! I would say that yes, I would be willing to drive that far for one, but I am a diehard FIRM fan, the FIRM is what got me started on home workouts 10 years ago.
Old 07-26-16, 10:40 AM  
dutchgirl
VF Supporter

You need to leave the house to buy groceries, run errands, etc. Make an afternoon out of it and get that Transfirmer!

Even though I have enough risers to make my club step as tall as a Transfirmer (and I can incline it too), I like having both. When doing a Firm workout I set up both, the club step regular and the Transfirmer at an incline. That way I can just go from one exercise to another without having to adjust equipment.

Fitness happens one choice at a time - Michelle Dozois

The truth is, my body, whether I love it or not, is the vessel that houses my soul. And for that, it should be honored - Theresa Ruth Howard
dutchgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-16, 01:05 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

I drove to the other side of the island for mine - a craigslist purchase. it was a less than 20 min drive w/o traffic. she lived on a military base, so we agreed to meet at a civilian mall nearby. it was in its original box and came with the base set of DVDs.

I owned one of the add-on DVDs prior to getting my TF (I think it was Jiggle Free Buns) and rigged my Step Co. Step into an incline - and set up my FL on the side for tall box climbs. it wasn't very convenient, and took up a lot of space while working out!

once I got a REAL TF, I was so stoked! I did all of the moves w/o issues. loved setting up the incline.

the farthest I ever drove was for a Fluidity Barre. about 20 miles away, and a 30 min drive. and I fit it into my corolla!!!

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-16, 01:46 PM  
CharM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchgirl View Post
You need to leave the house to buy groceries, run errands, etc. Make an afternoon out of it and get that Transfirmer!
Yes, or see what thrift stores are out there, or maybe a restaurant you'd never drive that far to try.
I'd drive that far if it's reasonably priced and I couldn't find it anywhere else for less.
CharM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-16, 02:04 PM  
ckirkpat

I once drove almost 2 hours for a Fanny Lifter. So hard to come by in Canada. The seller was selling the sculpting stick, 3 BSS2 DVDS and the FL for $50. I've not told anyone I drove that far. They would think I was crazy and wouldn't understand. I had my own seller's remorse
Old 07-26-16, 02:08 PM  
red1013

My fanny lifter is covered in paint splatters (if you have 9' ceilings it is perfect for painting and so easy to move around), so I don't really use it for workouts.

I use my high step whenever I do leg presses. My knees don't like anything taller than 12" anymore.

I love the transFirmer though! I drag that thing out whenever there are lunges to do, no matter the workout. I really wish the Firm had made more workouts for it, BSS 3 and 4 are my favorite Firms.

So yes, I vote it's worth traveling for!
Old 07-26-16, 02:18 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharM View Post
Yes, or see what thrift stores are out there, or maybe a restaurant you'd never drive that far to try.
I'd drive that far if it's reasonably priced and I couldn't find it anywhere else for less.
I just looked on Amazon and Ebay, and only Ebay has listings for the TF for roughly $50 (excluding s/h).

Quote:
Originally Posted by red1013 View Post
I love the transFirmer though! I drag that thing out whenever there are lunges to do, no matter the workout. I really wish the Firm had made more workouts for it, BSS 3 and 4 are my favorite Firms.

So yes, I vote it's worth traveling for!
BSS4 & BSS3 are ideal for the TF - you'll at least have over a dozen videos for it. people have also used leslie's and Gin's ramp videos with the TF.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-16, 10:28 PM  
Jewels5

Thanks all--you guys are awesome! I took your advice and made the trip today. It definitely took up the afternoon but it was worth it...I'm so happy! It's the perfect size and I like that it's much wider than the high step. The Transfirmer and Transfirmer DVDs, plus 5 others all for $25. Not sure my DH understood the urgency of it but glad I had your support.

bzar, I'm still not sure I know what all the different systems are but she had included two of the original BSS workouts. One of the Transfirmer DVDs was really scratched and unplayable but the others all look great. Thanks for the reminder that I could use the incline for other workouts! Someone had recommended Leslie's Walkblaster awhile back but I could never find one.

red, I have to be careful with my knees too. I do love my high step, just felt a little wobbly on the puzzles mats. (Glad to hear you found another use for your fanny lifter.)

ckirkpat, your secrets are safe here, we understand! I'm not sure my DH understood though.�� I drove a good 30 minutes or more for my rebounder and probably more than that for my fluidity bar that I have since gotten rid of.

CharM, loved your idea of checking out other thrift stores! Too bad I didn't have time but I'm going to have to make another afternoon of that sometime.

dutchgirl, I don't have a club step, mine's a Reebok and while I like it, it's never been too convenient for setting up an incline.

Candice, I have only been doing Firm workouts for a few weeks and loving them!

ETA: Thanks to whomever added the tag to the thread. I forgot to do that and when I went back to try and edit it I couldn't figure it out, so thanks.

"To the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world." -Heather Cortez
Jewels5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-16, 10:43 PM  
StephE

The TransFIRMer is a keeper and my favorite piece of FIRM equipment ever! I'll never get rid of mine. In fact, I once found another one in mint condition at Goodwill for $8.00 and snatched it up! I couldn't believe it! At that price, I thought "Surely I need a back up in case anything ever happens to mine!" Hope you enjoy yours. The workouts are fantastic. One of my favorite FIRM workouts is Stephanie Huckabee's Ultimate Calorie Blaster in the TransFIRMer set. Love it!

Exercise is THERAPY for all the challenges and trials life throws my way!!
StephE is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
transfirmer, walkblaster