Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-19-16, 12:56 PM  
marki64

I just got a foam roller a few months ago. It really helped with tightness in my hamstrings and calves. My achilles tendons hurt so much when I would do step, but the foam really has helped with that. I virtually have no problems with my tendons anymore and can do step more regularly. But I have minor lower back/hip pain on my right side and the foam roller does seem to aggravate it and after reading all these posts I think I will stop using it for my hip area. I don't want to make it worse.
marki64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-16, 01:15 PM  
adrien_73

Today I decided to skip yoga and foam rolling, and my glute/hip feels much better. I did take Aleve as well, so maybe that helps with the inflammation.

I will give it a few days and if it is not better I will call my ortho doc.

Come to think of it...I have also been getting these strange warm sensations in my heels & legs. They come and go, and only last for 10-20 seconds. Now I wonder if there could could be a nerve issue going on...?
adrien_73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-16, 02:57 PM  
AsSweetAsSugar

Marki, do you foam roll your low back area?

Adrien, I'm glad you're feeling much better today.

LMP - Grad/Aug 13 * TheRack - Grad/Nov 13 * PowerFit H - Grad/Jan 14 * FIF: SB - Grad/ Feb 14 * Cage/Box/KB 6WR - Comp/Mar 14 * Ugi/Kb/Pilates 6WR - Comp/May 14 * ThunderBell - Comp/Sep 14 * Obsidian - Comp/Jan 15 * JNL - DO/Sept 15 * D2S - Grad/Feb 16 * KbKb/TBS - Grad/Jun 16 * FusionMixx - Com/Aug 16 * F8F - Grad/Oct 16

Sonríe a la vida y ella te sonreíra siempre!
AsSweetAsSugar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-16, 03:21 PM  
Nuggie's Auntie

Yikes, I would not roll on the lower back! Be very careful of the spine. A friend of mine broke a rib using a hard roller. Be sure you're only rolling on meatier muscle tissue.
Nuggie's Auntie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-16, 08:51 PM  
Vantreesta

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrien_73 View Post
Today I decided to skip yoga and foam rolling, and my glute/hip feels much better. I did take Aleve as well, so maybe that helps with the inflammation.

I will give it a few days and if it is not better I will call my ortho doc.

Come to think of it...I have also been getting these strange warm sensations in my heels & legs. They come and go, and only last for 10-20 seconds. Now I wonder if there could could be a nerve issue going on...?
That maybe does sound like sciatica. I would get it checked.
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-16, 09:23 PM  
marki64

[QUOTE=AsSweetAsSugar;2602803]Marki, do you foam roll your low back area?

A little bit. I feel so awkward with that thing though. I don't really know how long to roll for, but it can get very uncomfortable quickly. MY hip is hurting a little since my workout tonight. I may try rolling before bed and see how it feels.I don't notice much of a difference with my back and hip area. Sure helps the hams and calves though.
marki64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-16, 10:14 PM  
AsSweetAsSugar

Quote:
Originally Posted by marki64 View Post
A little bit. I feel so awkward with that thing though. I don't really know how long to roll for, but it can get very uncomfortable quickly. MY hip is hurting a little since my workout tonight. I may try rolling before bed and see how it feels.I don't notice much of a difference with my back and hip area. Sure helps the hams and calves though.
Marki, please stop doing it! I've seen some videos where people mentioned to not foam roll the lower back area at all, you can get hurt or make problems get worse. I'm doing Drop 2 Sizes right now, and the foam roll portion is very short just 5 min. but she does mention to not roll that area. She just foam roll calves, hamstrings, quads, IT bands, glutes and then go up to upper back and lats area, that's it. And that's what I usually do on my own as well, I foam roll 5 to 10 reps for each area. A great foam roll workout I like is the bonus section of Cardio Dance Flow, it is only 20 min. but it is very good to follow along, you need a full size roller for that one. Now, I have to mention this, I tried the Repair Roller from the Katami 4x4 set, and he did foam roll the lower back, I just skipped it, but I'm surprised he did. I've to be very careful with my lower back myself to not get hurt or get pain back. Please be careful.

LMP - Grad/Aug 13 * TheRack - Grad/Nov 13 * PowerFit H - Grad/Jan 14 * FIF: SB - Grad/ Feb 14 * Cage/Box/KB 6WR - Comp/Mar 14 * Ugi/Kb/Pilates 6WR - Comp/May 14 * ThunderBell - Comp/Sep 14 * Obsidian - Comp/Jan 15 * JNL - DO/Sept 15 * D2S - Grad/Feb 16 * KbKb/TBS - Grad/Jun 16 * FusionMixx - Com/Aug 16 * F8F - Grad/Oct 16

Sonríe a la vida y ella te sonreíra siempre!
AsSweetAsSugar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-16, 10:43 PM  
Vantreesta

I don't foam roll my lower back but I do love Jill Miller's Yoga Tune Up balls for rolling hips, glutes and lower back (and everywhere else!).
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
foam roller, foam roller and injury, foam rolling