Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-29-15, 03:16 PM  
susan p
VF Supporter

Interesting thread, since I have just been thinking about doing Nick Tuminello's Strength Training for Fat Loss. . . I haven't done a paper workout since I did NROL4W which made me gain 8 pounds and swear never to do heavy lifting again. lol.
susan p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-15, 11:00 AM  
PhyllisG

I borrowed NROLW plus Supercharged and a couple of books by Joan Pagano. Great books but not really for me. I got out my old copy of Lisa Lyons Body Magic from 1981 and found what I was looking for. I will heavy up on the weights and use this as a guide.
Love this book. Wonder whatever became of Lisa. Googled her but found no current information.
PhyllisG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-15, 11:59 AM  
lreidgreen
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jilybeann View Post
I'd suggest looking at Nia Shanks. She has several great programs on her website Lift Like a Girl. Depending on what equipment you have, she has several options, including some bodyweight only workouts.
I love Nia's programs but it is more for heavy lifters. PhyllisG IIRC you prefer barre and TA type workouts, no? In which case I think Valerie Waters programs would be more suited to you. I agree with the poster that said Action Hero Babe works better as a paper program for the reasons she stated-at least for me. Also the production values of the DVD were not great. She has other programs one of which I own (I want that Bikini Body-stupid name but decent program) All of her programs use weights but there are quite a few bodyweight exercises and you can go light. Val trains a lot of celebrities that are going for that long lean look.
lreidgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-15, 12:02 PM  
lreidgreen
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by susan p View Post
Interesting thread, since I have just been thinking about doing Nick Tuminello's Strength Training for Fat Loss. . . I haven't done a paper workout since I did NROL4W which made me gain 8 pounds and swear never to do heavy lifting again. lol.
I could be wrong but I think Nick T's program is going to be similar to NROL for women. This is just from following his blog and FB page. Then again it depends what you consider heavy lifting. Toaster has the book so you might want to PM her.
lreidgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-15, 02:07 PM  
Sophie

Quote:
Originally Posted by lreidgreen View Post
I could be wrong but I think Nick T's program is going to be similar to NROL for women. This is just from following his blog and FB page. Then again it depends what you consider heavy lifting. Toaster has the book so you might want to PM her.
Mmmmm not really. I started Nick's program last year, after coming off a NROL for oldies (I forget the real name) rotation. They certainly do complement each other, and there are similar underlying philosophies and components (use of RAMP, etc) but the routines themselves are quite different.

Honestly I found Nick's routines longer and more challenging - we had a strength check-in going on at the time and those of us doing it (me, and I think Chris Miyachi) were somewhat agog at how long they took compared to NROL or Strong Curves. But they were a good change-up. I'm pretty sure Chris actually finished a whole rotation.

I never finished it because travelling/holidays interrupted it, but I think they're worth a try if you like that kind of thing. I'd certainly revisit them again.

eta: a barre/TA fan who really enjoys the high rep approach may not like this book - somewhat lower reps, higher weights and a lot of volume emphasized here.
eta: Susan, it's different enough from NROLW that you might find it OK....or not I'd be interested in what you think.

be as relaxed as you can be, as you do what you gotta do.

~erich schiffman
Sophie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-15, 02:37 PM  
PhyllisG

There was an interesting thread on Cathes forums that talked about lifting heavy for 5 & 5 or 8 & 3 reps and sets to build strength but not bulk. Long rests in between sets. I want to try this. When I was dong Cathe exclusively my biceps and quads got too big for the look I,like so I switched to barre, TA, fusion to slim down and it worked. Now I would like to gain more strength without building bulk. I am mainly interested in doing upper body work trying this. I figure I can keep doing what I like best in the morning which is my regular workout time but add the heavier weight work at night while watching TV ......
Give it a shot.
PhyllisG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-15, 02:47 PM  
Sophie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhyllisG View Post
but add the heavier weight work at night while watching TV ......
Give it a shot.
Everyone's different, but I'd never be able to do a routine like Nick's or NROL while watching TV. I have to focus on form and effort a LOT. Especially with the exercises that incorporate balance, like one legged deads, skater squats, etc.

Now riding a stationary bike, I can pretty much play Skyrim while doing that. But with lifting, I can't concentrate on anything but lifting.

be as relaxed as you can be, as you do what you gotta do.

~erich schiffman
Sophie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-15, 03:22 PM  
laurajhawk

I just bought the book "Power of 10" by Adam Zickerman and started the workouts. So far, I really like it. It's slow-motion lifting (10 seconds up, hold for 2 at the max effort, 10 seconds down) and you do reps until failure - it's suggested you choose weights that produce failure at about 8 reps to start with. Most of the sequences in the book are for machines, but there are 2 home workouts (dumbbells & stability ball), and one travel workout (bodyweight only). I'm using the home workouts.

"Don't say 'I can't' ... say 'I presently suck at this thing.'" - Matt Meese, BYU Divine Comedy
laurajhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-15, 08:10 PM  
katmom

Adam Zickerman's Power of 10 is similar to Dr. Ellington Darden's training that was published in the 90's.
Old 06-01-15, 09:18 PM  
laurajhawk

Yes, I think there are at least four or five authors who've advocated this sort of "super-slow" lifting ... probably more.

"Don't say 'I can't' ... say 'I presently suck at this thing.'" - Matt Meese, BYU Divine Comedy
laurajhawk is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
calisthenics, cory everson, lgi8, look great in 8, muscle and fitness hers, paper workouts