Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-12-14, 08:10 PM  
LynnO
VF Supporter

Thanks ladies, I'll try the 20 dollar crock pot. I work from home so I can manually change the temps but with my old one, it was one of those boiling stuff on low, not what it is supposed to do, even if I am there to turn it down. I thought it was because I lived at around 7000 feet. Now I live at 1000.
LynnO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-14, 08:52 PM  
BunnyHop

Late to the discussion, but yeah, lower-tech and lower price seems to be the way to go.

My newest one has a removable crock, and some sort of weirdo lid that can fasten down for transport, but must not be latched during cooking, which makes no sense to me. Then again, I've never needed to bring a crockpot full of food anywhere in recent years, and I'm still unclear on the logistics.

My first one is one of those smaller models with Corel baking dishes as inserts. Very handy if you want to cook things back to back.
BunnyHop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-14, 08:58 PM  
Lucky Star
VF Supporter

I have two Rival pots that I've had for a number of years and no problems ever.
Lucky Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-14, 09:04 PM  
mrsscififanec

Hi,
Recently i wanted to get a new one and was checking reviews on different brands and the same thing kept coming up ,that they get too hot ,apparently sometime back they all switched the temperatures and they are different now from what i am used too so instead of buying a new one i hunted around at the thrift stores and found one that looked new and was the same model i was used to ,and it was only 10 bucks ! So if you have any thrifts around keep an eye out for them because i see them pretty often and most all are in great shape !
mrsscififanec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-14, 06:17 AM  
sherry7899

I have only used this one a few times, but I am very happy with it. I bought it at Kohl's on sale and had a coupon, so it was very cheap:

http://astore.amazon.com/ginsweiwatr...ail/B001AO2PXK

I picked this one because it was suggested by the blogger from "Skinnytaste"
(Gina's Skinny Recipes). She has a post somewhere about trying different crockpots and being very happy with this one.
Some reviews say it randomly shut off. I did not have that problem. Those reviews are a few years old, so I hope that issues has been fixed.

Her site has a lot of crockpot recipes as well....

Sherry

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-14, 08:52 AM  
juliel
VF Supporter

I got the one because it was smaller. I've liked it!
http://www.amazon.com/Calphalon-Digi...=slow+cooker+4
I've really enjoyed using it in cooler months for making oatmeal, stews, soups.
I'm a vegetarian and there are some newer good veggie cookbooks out there. I've made Chex mix in it!! (I'm only making enough for 1-2 people!!)

"One cat just leads to another." - Ernest Hemingway
juliel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-14, 12:04 PM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

I have a 4-quart, a 5-quart, and a 6-quart. I cook for leftoversn and I make a fair amount of soup and the 6-quart is the one I use the most. A year ago, my 6-quart broke and I replaced it with this one. It doesn't have all the bells and whistles of some of the newer ones, but it does have a timer (and goes to warm when the timer runs down). And, the pot is removable. That's all I need. I really like it because it cooks the food well and doesn't boil/burn the food.

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Something is better than nothing
The best workout is the one you will DO
Laura S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-14, 01:02 PM  
dianestjohn

I went through several crockpots and disliked them for various reasons. I finally "splurged" on this one (if the link doesn't come through it's the Hamilton Beach 3-in-1 Slow Cooker) and LOVE it. Its one base with 3 different size crocks so you can actually use the size specified by the recipe - it heats evenly, has low, high and warm settings, the stoneware is sturdy and seems not to scratch (my last one I discarded because the stoneware had deep scratches and I read scary things online about chemicals leaching into the food through the scratches). Anyhow, I'd highly recommend this one.

http://smile.amazon.com/Hamilton-Bea...n+one+crockpot
dianestjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-14, 01:16 PM  
Demeris

I've been reading all these posts avidly.

I'm trying to figure out why I hate crockpot prepared meat. I have a 6 qt Rival crockpot that is about 15 years old (maybe a bit older), and regardless of what I cook it in--chicken, beef, pork, lamb--the meat comes out stringy and inedible.

I have varied the heat (low or high--the only settings). I have varied the seasonings, the vegetables added. You name it. I've tried it.

And the meat is always stringy or chalky when it's done.

Is it my crockpot? Am I expecting too much?

I just pulled the crockpot out from the back of the cupboard, and I'm tempted to put it in the Goodwill box.
Demeris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-14, 01:31 PM  
angie_nrs

Demeris - maybe it's not being cooked long enough? If I check my roast and it is still a bit tough and stringy, I keep on cooking it until it falls apart. I add some water and a packet of onion soup mix and a couple of cubes of beef bouillon to it and I've never had a roast that didn't taste great. I leave mine in the crock pot on high for about 6 hours and then low for a couple more hours. With fluid in the crock, I think it's almost impossible to overcook it.
angie_nrs is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
crockpot, off topic, recipe, recipe box, soup