Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-12-14, 05:14 PM  
LynnO
VF Supporter

Anyone buy a crock pot recently

I threw away my original crockpot when I got a new one for Christmas several years ago. The new one was terrible and also too hot. It would overcook stuff in 3 hours on low.

I recently moved somewhere where it is just too darn hot to cook, so I really need another crock pot.

Any suggestions? I don't want to spend too much money and have a $10 credit at Kohls. I'd prefer one that actually did some slow cooking - so not as hot. I'm not a kitchen gadget person so I can't see myself buying one that cost more than $100. I'm ready! We still have so much stuff at your old house, so right now, it's a pan on the stove or a $20 charcoal bbq.
LynnO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-14, 05:35 PM  
jusca

I bought a Crockpot brand (that's the name on the pot) from Walmart about a year ago. It was $20, basic round pot with a floral design and had low hi and warm settings (non-porgrammable). It does the job well and definitely no burning on low. I put a rump roast in it on low for 10 hours and it was simmered tenderly and no burnt meat.
jusca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-14, 05:58 PM  
Mickey12

I got rid of my old crockpot (from the 70's) because it was too small. I bought a larger one and I really don't like it at all because it cooks too quickly. I believe (and I don't know if I came up with this theory on my own or if I read it somewhere) that the newer crock pots heat more quickly and hotter than the old ones because of worries about room temperature or lukewarm food becoming contaminated with bacteria. Therefore, they have to get the food hotter faster to protect against this.

So, now with my new crockpot, the food is overdone and/or burned on the outside surface at 8 hours. It stinks because I used to love to plug it in before I left for work and have a nice meal waiting for me at night. Now, with travel time and being at work for 8 hours, it's too long.

So, I pretty much only use the crockpot on the weekends when I can plug it in for a shorter time. I could kick myself because my old one worked fine, it was just too small.

Kim
Mickey12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-14, 06:23 PM  
Jules

I bought a large Rival crockpot a few years ago and I hate it... it burns everything even when I follow the recipe booklet that came with the darn thing. I should have returned it and got my money back.

Luckily, I inherited my grandma's old Farberware crock pot that cooks beautifully. I also have a smaller vintage Rival pot that belonged to DH's grandma for cooking smaller meals and it works great! Hopefully the older crock pots keep working for a long time.
Jules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-14, 06:26 PM  
Taramisu
VF Supporter

This is a good thread. I have had the same crockpot for over 10 years, I don't use it a ton but it does come in handy. I would like to use it more actually.

I have thought of replacing it with one that has the removable inside. I think I will just keep it, still works well!
Taramisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-14, 06:27 PM  
kimzwirez

I had the same problem with a crockpot I bought in 2008. I could actually hear the lid bumping as the food inside BOILED!! I got on ebay and found a couple of nice, old-type crockpots from the 70s that looked really clean and bought them. They work exactly the way I want them to work, roasts are cooked slowly and are tender, nothing has gotten burned. So far no one has gotten food poisoning from anything I cooked in them.
kimzwirez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-14, 06:29 PM  
FirmDancer
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey12 View Post

So, now with my new crockpot, the food is overdone and/or burned on the outside surface at 8 hours. It stinks because I used to love to plug it in before I left for work and have a nice meal waiting for me at night. Now, with travel time and being at work for 8 hours, it's too long.

So, I pretty much only use the crockpot on the weekends when I can plug it in for a shorter time. I could kick myself because my old one worked fine, it was just too small.
#1. I could've written this post.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Current Rotations:
JSmith: STRENGTHEN
ManFlowYoga: morning sessions & Strength Foundations
YogaGlo & MFML: easy, morning classes
FirmDancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-14, 06:32 PM  
wnt2bfirm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey12 View Post
I got rid of my old crockpot (from the 70's) because it was too small. I bought a larger one and I really don't like it at all because it cooks too quickly. I believe (and I don't know if I came up with this theory on my own or if I read it somewhere) that the newer crock pots heat more quickly and hotter than the old ones because of worries about room temperature or lukewarm food becoming contaminated with bacteria. Therefore, they have to get the food hotter faster to protect against this.
Kim
I read this too about the newer crockpots. It is unfortunate. Everything I cook in mine is over cooked.
wnt2bfirm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-14, 06:36 PM  
MomOf2Gremlins

I have this 2-quart crock pot and a 4-quart from the same company with no complains!
http://smile.amazon.com/Crock-Pot-SC...ords=crock+pot

I find the 2 quart works great for dips, desserts and even smaller portions. (I sold my 6 quart one as it was just too much! I like freezing leftovers and don't mind eating a 2nd portion the next day but still found it too much quantity-wise)
There are gr8 books out there for smaller crockpots. I like this one http://smile.amazon.com/Vegan-Slow-C...THC051QH8EZMYG

"Change what you can. Accept what you can't. Live peacefully with all that's left."

MomOf2Gremlins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-14, 06:51 PM  
unfetteredpast

Yup, yup and yup. I bought a fancy Rival one with a timer that you could switch it to "warm" at a certain point. Even the warm setting would burn whatever unfortunate contents happened to find their way in there. I took it back and got a lower end model with a knob that turns from Warm to High to Low. It's got pastel flowers on the outside unit so it looks like it came from the 1980s. I like it much better. My advice is to go super low-tech.
unfetteredpast is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
crockpot, off topic, recipe, recipe box, soup