Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Recipe Box
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-12-14, 05:11 PM  
Nuggie's Auntie

You can make them in the slow cooker, too. Cooks overnight and they're all ready for you when you wake up!
Nuggie's Auntie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-14, 05:33 PM  
sherry7899

Thank you for the ideas and recipes. Trader Joe's makes quick cooking steel cut oats that are really good. They take about seven minutes instead of a half hour. I tried them out after posting this thread. I'll make up a big pot and eat them all next week. Or I might make double batches of blueberry protein pancakes I can't decide.

Sherry

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-14, 06:32 PM  
marya

While We're on the Subject of Steel Cut Oats...

I love steel cuts, but honestly, I don't dare go out in public after I eat them. Does anyone else have an oat bloat problem--and a no-fail remedy?
marya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-14, 07:07 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Coaches' Oats at costco is like steel cut but you can cook them in the micro.

http://www.amazon.com/Coachs-Oats-Wh...s=coaches+oats

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-14, 12:40 PM  
jackie7

Jeannine,
Have you seen the Coaches' oats recently at Costco?
jackie7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-14, 06:31 PM  
BunnyHop

Just thought I'd mention this recipe from one of the blogs I trust/follow. Sounds really tasty and convenient.

http://www.melskitchencafe.com/blueb...of-variations/
BunnyHop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-14, 02:24 AM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie7 View Post
Jeannine,
Have you seen the Coaches' oats recently at Costco?
Hi Jackie - yes - as recent as last month. it sells out fast. i happened to be in a Costco that i don't normally shop at too. sometimes that is a factor - the district might have different buying habits.

i remember when my regular costco wasn't selling Neutrogena 70 spf sunscreen. it didn't seem as if they were going to re-stock too. then i went to a different costco (i was in the area - i didn't drive all the way there just for the sunscreen), and there was an entire pallet full.

this also happened with some Amy Dixon videos too - i read online that her DVDs were only going to be stocked at certain Costcos across the country, and of all the ones on our island, only 1 of them was going to stock them! for that, i drove all the way to buy them! ha!

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
Old 10-16-14, 02:10 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

i had to buy a box of oatmeal to keep at work and found these Steel Cut oats at the local CVS store:

Country Choice Organic Oats

when you open a packet for a 1 serving amount, the dry oats are indeed steel cut oats, and you can cook them in the microwave.

the directions stated 2 min on 50% power, stir, then cook for another 2 min again at 50%. after the first 2 min, i checked it and it was ready to eat.

Old 10-16-14, 03:47 PM  
Lexy
VF Supporter

I HAD to try the method gladgirl posted. So I spent $20 to make oatmeal. $8 for superduper steel cut oats and $12 for Mason jars. I think those widemouth pint jars are adorable and make me feel all farmy.

The thing I like about this recipe is that it's super simple and takes 14 seconds to make. OK, seriously, like 5 minutes. This way you can change up what you add for flavor and condiments. And again, just love those little jars in the frig.

I divided it like the recipe said into 5 jars and found it was too much oatmeal for me. Next time I'll use 6 or 7 jars. I was thinking of what to add for additional protein besides powder too.
Lexy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-14, 04:02 PM  
sherry7899

Lexy-if you have trader Joe's near you-steel cut oats are half that price.

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
steel cut oats