Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Recipe Box
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-28-14, 05:21 PM  
Rivercat
VF Supporter

The goddess bowl with brown rice in place of the spelt turned out well, and the seed & oat flatbread has become a regular in my breakfast rotation.

~~~Inaugural Star Wars Half Marathon, Jan 2015~~~

"Work your own shovel" - John "The Penguin" Bingham
Rivercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-14, 05:49 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

I used brown rice in the Goddess bowl too and it worked fine.

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-14, 08:03 AM  
isebelleg44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivercat View Post
The goddess bowl with brown rice in place of the spelt turned out well, and the seed & oat flatbread has become a regular in my breakfast rotation.

That bread sounds good. Has anyone tried the one below? Is it the same thing?

http://ohsheglows.com/2013/05/22/sup...d-gluten-free/

Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.
~Attributed to both T.H. Thompson and John Watson
isebelleg44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-14, 12:28 PM  
Rivercat
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by isebelleg44 View Post
That bread sounds good. Has anyone tried the one below? Is it the same thing?

http://ohsheglows.com/2013/05/22/sup...d-gluten-free/
It's very similar, but the proportions of flour and seeds are a little different. Toasting is a must, and I usually eat it with smashed up avocado or hummus. Very filling!

~~~Inaugural Star Wars Half Marathon, Jan 2015~~~

"Work your own shovel" - John "The Penguin" Bingham
Rivercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-14, 05:08 PM  
isebelleg44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivercat View Post
It's very similar, but the proportions of flour and seeds are a little different. Toasting is a must, and I usually eat it with smashed up avocado or hummus. Very filling!
Thanks! Can't wait to try it.

Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.
~Attributed to both T.H. Thompson and John Watson
isebelleg44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-14, 02:28 PM  
adawn
VF Supporter

I was on the waiting list for the cookbook at my library and my turn finally came.

So far I've made the avocado potato salad, the enchiladas, and the chocolate cake. (I normally do not do much cooking and also happen to be the slowest veggie chopper ever.) Mini food processor was necessary for 2 recipes (I used my little ninja master).

I followed the recipes exactly except I used my favorite vegan chocolate frosting recipe rather than hers. Mine was similar to her buttercream choc except mine also incorporates dairy free cream cheese. I'm interested to try her avocado choc frosting option though at some point.

Verdict(s):

Avocado potato salad
More like avocado-asparagus-potato salad. Extremely yummy & pretty looking. Some effort involved but very worth it. Better tasting than regular potato salad. Perfect for spring/summer. I ate it while the potatoes were still warm but it was good cold from the fridge as well.* Doesn't taste like it's missing anything. Perfection.

*After tasting it cold from the fridge, I realized it needed more salt & pepper seasoning & possibly more herbs in cream sauce. When warm, seasoning level was good.

Chocolate cake
I did it as a simple sheet cake. Tasted like plain old ordinary chocolate cake. Sugary. Simple to make. Would also make good cupcakes. Nothing exciting to see here but I would make again if simple chocolate cake was needed.

Enchiladas
The prep times are a lie. These took me almost 2 hours to make and my kitchen today looks like a bomb went off in it last night (and I normally try to clean as I go). I'm still not sure where the 5 min part of the 5 min enchilada sauce came from except you simmer it at the end for 5 min??!

Very colorful enchilada filling. I did slightly miss having cheese slathered everywhere but it was a tasty enchilada rendition. It would have been missing something if not for the cool green sauce at the end (which I almost didn't make due to exhaustion).

I liked it...but did I love it enough to do it again? Can't say yet. If I do make this one again, I will definitely be chopping the veggies & measuring out the spices the night before.

And I will be buying the cookbook because it looks like there will be enough winners in this one to make it worthwhile.

Last edited by adawn; 06-01-14 at 03:32 PM. Reason: Added seasoning note
adawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-14, 02:56 PM  
DeepSeaSue

Thanks for all the feedback. I bought Oh She Glows on Friday and I'm looking forward to trying out some recipes...especially the smoothie ones
DeepSeaSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-14, 05:36 PM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

ADawn thanks for your feedback. Good idea to see if it's available in the library! Your enchilada experience is exactly what has this book on my back burner.
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-14, 03:00 PM  
DeepSeaSue

I made the Classic Green Monster smoothie today. It was great! I really liked the combination of almond butter, cinnamon and vanilla extract--they gave it a bit of extra "zing". I'm going to try the Flu Fighter smoothie tomorrow.
DeepSeaSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-14, 03:03 PM  
sherry7899

The flu fighter smoothie is delicious. I made it when I was sick with a cold, and it really did make me feel better.

Thanks everyone for all your opinions!

Sherry

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
oh she glows, recipe, vegan, vegan cookbook, vegetarian, vegetarian cookbooks