Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-21-14, 05:35 AM  
Lucky Star
VF Supporter

Donna I always enjoy reading your posts. You have always sounded enthusiastic about your workouts and seem super fit to me!
I have no aspirations to ever become an 'advanced' exerciser. I'm not an athlete (and think of the many injuries they sustain over their careers ). I just want to be generally fit, strong and agile. At my job I run up and down stairs all day long and lift children (and other weights) and the younger teachers look at me in amazement. Really, it's no big thing but it's so sad how few people out there do any exercise, at any age!
Lucky Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-14, 06:24 AM  
Sara1000

dnna our fitness journeys are very similar except so far I have not had a serious health problem - other than asthma that is.

Thanks again all who have responded.

BTW I do Hiit because I don't believe just walking is enough 'exercise' for my heart. When I was just walking (about 3 miles a day) and then had to climb a couple of flights of stairs for the first time in a long time I got extremely winded and had to stop and catch my breath. Now the occasional stairs I have a t work are not a problem.
Sara1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-14, 07:37 AM  
Jane1721

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky Star View Post
Wow - imagine how fantastically fit humanity could be if we could all do low impact HIIT and Cathe at 70yo!
Okay now you're officially *my* inspiration!
I AGREE! I also agree with Phyllis that the idea is to be fit and not injured.

Sara, I am 30 years younger than you and am having to slow down! I had to lower my poundage for weights a number of years ago after a shoulder injury didn't heal quite right, and I can't do as much high impact as I used to or I risk injury to my calf muscles. And that's okay. I am actually more healthy and fit than I have been in my life, despite taking my workouts down a notch or two, so I am okay with my middle-aged related limitations.
Jane1721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-14, 07:39 AM  
dnna

I started doing the Firm Express to really condition the cardio with the end result of a great blood pressure of 117/70. I was really happy with that!

I try to workout with the idea in mind to work out smart enough to be able to work out tomorrow. also, moderation is the key for me as I am apt to go crazy and do too much. Also, if I love a workout I will do it to death -this happened with Strong Strides, I was getting good results and overdid it -once again!!!

sometimes I get a little down on myself- always a before, never an after- when I read the posts and the Bandwagon grows and grows! but I have come to realize and not hate myself for being who I am. If I take Anna's flex posture off the shelf and work at it for 40 minutes, I am still in the game.

I was able to do the Fix-21 doubles for 4 weeks and am still going at it. no remarkable results but I feel good, strong, and that elusive hope that I could improve is still alive.

lol, I should use that as a tag line- always a before, never an after.
dnna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-14, 08:07 AM  
Sara1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnna View Post
lol, I should use that as a tag line- always a before, never an after.
Not such a bad place to be, I think. Being a 'before' implies looking forward to improvement, right?

FIRM Express is a great workout set for cardio fitness - too much impact for me, however. That's great you lowered your blood pressure - I believe that type of workout is good for that
Old 03-21-14, 08:12 AM  
Sue B
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah-lara View Post
NROL for Life seems to suggest this. I've been a bag full of injuries this year myself. Sorry to hear you are going through something similar, but the best thing (you already know it) is to keep trying as much as you can, as wisely as you know how.
I think this is the best NROL book, in terms of useful information and readability. I like how it doesn't treat older people like preschoolers, but lays it out about the inevitability of the body's decline.

One thing about Jack and Ernestine is that they were into working out for most of their adult lives. It's never too late to start, but if you start too late, maybe there's only so far you can go.

(Another interesting fact about Jack: his brother, Norman, a golfer, lived to be 97, a year older than Jack!)

Drop Two Sizes, Fit Body Blueprint, STRONG Eat. Lift. Thrive. and Revamp grad

DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
Sue B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-14, 08:24 AM  
eyefit
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky Star View Post
Wow - imagine how fantastically fit humanity could be if we could all do low impact HIIT and Cathe at 70yo!
Okay now you're officially *my* inspiration!
Agreed!
Old 03-21-14, 08:28 AM  
Sara1000

I didn't know who Ernestine was but I found this little video about her http://www.cbn.com/tv/1481548602001

She is amazing. I'm sure part of what enables her to do what she does without joint or ligament problems must be genetics. Still, she is an inspiration!
Old 03-21-14, 08:53 AM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

The other day I realized that I'll just have to get rid of my workouts that are too difficult for me, or cause that BAD kind of soreness. Ones that have too much impact, or twisty pivot moves. It's kind of sad, because they are good workouts and I enjoyed doing them.

To be honest, I don't usually find these "elderly super-athlete" stories that helpful. As inspiring as they may be, I just figure that they are genetic freaks.

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-14, 09:47 AM  
ncl

Interesting thread. I am 45 and also have had various injuries and sorenesses over the years. I am taking a new approach as I am sick of getting injured as it always seems to take an extra long time to recover from those injuries and it also seems the injuries create more vulnerable areas in the long term.

I am taking a more relaxed approach. I realize that over the years, my head has been directing my physical activity without much input from my body. I realize that mind and body are all one thing, but I do think I lean more heavily into what I think (rather than what I feel) I SHOULD be doing physically to get stronger and stronger and more fit rather than including how my body feels into the equation. This equals continued soreness, overtraining, overuse injuries etc. I also do think we are all more sensitive to injury as we age. I also think this intellectual approach without body input is fear driven…fear of not being acceptable as I am, fear of becoming overweight, if you see what I mean.

So now, though I might have an idea of what to do physically, I wake up in the morning and while lying in bed consult with how I feel physically. Do I feel like doing what I had planned? Do I feel like going back to sleep (surprisingly though part of me always wants to go back to sleep, this is not usually the case)? Do I feel like changing the plan, doing some yoga, taking a walk?

I am not able right now (due to a slooooowly healing injury) to workout with the intensity that I like, but have also learned that my body has not gone completely awry without it as I feared. I have not gained a bunch of weight and my clothes still fit. Previously, I almost always worked out at my maximum intensity, ALWAYS pushing my edge and never having a moderate or light day, though I have always taken at least one complete rest day per week. Also, heavy lifting is not for me I learned early on. It activates trigger points in my shoulders and it is basically no fun to feel so uncomfortable.

So 2 other thoughts. What is fitness and what do I want to be fit for? In other words, fit for what? Fitness to me very definitely includes being injury free, comfortable in my body (so not in pain all the time) with ease of movement and able to do the things I want to do. I want to be fit for general health reasons (bones, heart, etc etc). I want to be fit to do my job, to dance, to hike, to have sex, to kayak. I also want to look as good as possible. Ahhh, the vanity.

But wherever did I get the idea that the best way to be fit is to flog myself on an almost daily basis? Perhaps I will be able to become more fit over time if I simply pay attention to my body more and what it wants from day to day. Actually, that certainly makes a lot more sense. Those are just my thoughts lately coming from an injury.
ncl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aging, injuries, injury prevention, intense workouts, limitations, longevity