Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-09-13, 11:15 AM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

Good DVD For Frail Senior With Osteoporosis?

We went to visit my MIL over the 4th of July holiday and she asked me this question:

Is there a good exercise DVD she can use in her efforts to address her recent diagnosis of osteoporosis in her lower spine? Apparently, it's not too bad yet and she wants to do whatever she can to prevent it from getting worse. She's 81 and fairly frail with not the best balance, so if there is a seated workout she could start with to help strengthen her muscles, that would probably be best. But, I'll take any and all suggestions. Along with this, she will probably get PT and do exercises they suggest at home. So, this would probably be an adjunct to what they tell her.

She asked me because she has watched me drag exercise videos into her house for over a decade and has enjoyed watching me exercise. I told her I knew a bunch of people I could ask!

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Something is better than nothing
The best workout is the one you will DO
Laura S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-13, 11:28 AM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

I have Lee Holden's Qi Gong for Seniors and it is really good. The moves can be done standing or seated. Lee's mom does the routine seated in a chair. The Lake Tahoe background is gorgeous!

http://www.exercisetoheal.com/Qi+Gon...r+Seniors.html

The site has a clip and more info about the program.

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-13, 11:39 AM  
dnna

karen voight has an exercise for seniors that is at collagevideo, it is almost all seated with some standing push ups against the wall ( this is from memory) and is not babyish or condescending at all
Karen holden, Lee's Mom has some dvds but I think they are all standing.beautiful though
The sit and be fit series is worth a look, I have the seated yoga and I love it, also on amazon on demand there is a seated yoga practice by Ann Richmond that is lovely called Chair Yoga.
dnna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-13, 11:43 AM  
MsThistlebottom

I second Alta's recommendation for Qi Gong for Seniors. Margaret Richard's Exercise: Nat'l Institute on Aging is also excellent. All exercises are done either seated or standing (holding on to chair for support). If your MIL is frail, she will likely not be able to complete all the reps (two sets of 15 for most exercises) and may not want to use weights at all at first. But this would be a great program to start with.

"When I was young, I used to admire intelligent people; as I grow older, I admire kind people." -- Abraham Joshua Heschel
MsThistlebottom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-13, 11:49 AM  
Demeris

many, many good recommendations here. I'd add Teresa Tapp's chair workout
Demeris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-13, 12:34 PM  
monterey vidiot
VF Supporter

Chair Dancing. They have several videos, some for cardio, some for toning. See chairdancing.com or amazon or collage

Sit Down T-Tapp, as Demeris suggested.
monterey vidiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-13, 12:54 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

Peggy Cappy has some dvds that might work well. Here is a link to several on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...%3APeggy+Cappy

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-13, 01:28 PM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

Thanks for all the suggestions. Some are new to me, some I had forgotten about. It gives me choices for her.

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Something is better than nothing
The best workout is the one you will DO
Laura S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-13, 01:56 PM  
hotncmom

As a fan of Katy Bowman, I'd just like to suggest Biomechanics of Strong Bones from the Aligned and Well series.
hotncmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-13, 03:02 PM  
Hattie
VF Supporter

Here are a few osteoporosis exercise dvds I know of. I have done Rebekkah's and like it. It has chapters. I have also done Mirabai's, but they are too easy for me and I think, a little boring. I think she has some others also which may be more fun. Susie Hathaway is an instructor trained in teaching safe exercises to ostoporosis clients and posts on the inspire forum ( You have to register to read or post to their forum). susiehathaway-answers-your-exercise-questions/

'Pilates for Buff Bones' - Rebekkah Rothstein
'Pilates Exercises for Osteoporosis' - Sherri Betz
'Fabulous Forever Easy Strength' - Mirabai Holland
'Moving Free Longevity Solution Strength Level 1' - Mirabai Holland
'Skeletal Fitness' - Mirabai Holland
'Safe Strength Training for Osteoporosis Prevention' - Susie Hathaway
'Strong Women: Preventing Osteoporosis' - Miriam Nelson

Sara Meeks has a booklet, 'Walk Tall', which has safe exercises especially good for the frail. Another similar booklet is
'Exercises for Osteoporosis: A Safe and Effective Way to Build Bone Density and Muscle Strength', Revised Edition... by Dianne Daniels and Peter Field Peck. I think at least one good book on form for osteoporosis exercises would be of great help.
Hattie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mirabai holland, miriam nelson, osteopenia, osteoporosis, peggy cappy, seated yoga, senior exercise, seniors, susie hathaway, suzie hathaway