Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-29-13, 08:54 PM  
yahoo205

The Stick or Tiger Tail Rolling Muscle Massager vs Foam Roller

http://www.performbetter.com/webapp/...ick%2Bmassager

https://www.thestick.com/

There are also 18" and 22" Tiger Tail Rolling Massager at AMazon which are cheaper but I don't know if they are better.

I use the Stick at my gym and really like it-better than the foam roller.

Anyone think one is better. I definitely want a firmer one because I have enough soft tissue.
yahoo205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-13, 01:29 AM  
starbelly

I use a combination of foam rolling and Tiger Tail. I have the Trigger Point foam roller which is very hard since it's a layer of foam over a PC pipe. It won't ever get worn out, but it is a bit much when you first start with it. What's really good about foam rolling is that you can use your body weight and sort of relax into the tension. I use the Tiger Tail for my calves since I don't find the foam roller very effective for that.

Have you considered Yamuna balls? I had them years ago and the valve on the firm one pushed in. I just replaced that (the red ball is the firm one and it is now silver) and I love body rolling. A ball can get to places that flat massagers cannot. It's great to lie down with the ball under a shoulder blade and feel the tension melt away.
starbelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-13, 08:18 AM  
Linda KH
VF Supporter

My husband prefers the Tiger Tail, I like the foam roller. I think it depends on where you need the pressure. DH uses it on his upper thighs and calves (he's a cyclist), and with the Tiger Tail you can just sit on a chair and use it. I need it more for my hips, so it's easier for me to use the foam roller.
Old 05-30-13, 09:35 AM  
Kyra

I have them all. Actually I have two foam rollers, at that. LOL. (One is shorter - got it so I could take it to the gym.)

I like the foam roller for BIG areas - legs, low back, lats, and glutes to some extent. I like The Stick for smaller areas, and for taking on the road (like to trail races) for post-event use. I also use a lacrosse ball for glutes, calves, and small areas, and anywhere you want to get deeper. I think it works better for glutes - a huge muscle mass - than the roller. AAANNND I have a funky foot roller that absolutely rocks.

In all, I think it's a matter of personal preference and what works best with your body.

Certified Bulletproof Athlete
Kyra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-13, 09:46 AM  
Debbie S.
VF Supporter

I have them all.

I now have a Grid that I LOVE. I have a regular foam roller and the one I got with P90X 2. That one really hurts, so it's put away.

I foam roll and use my Miracle ball after every workout. I rarely use my Tiger Tail. Anthony from AOS recommends holding a stretch based on your age, and I highly recommend doing so. What a huge difference.
Don't Compare Yourself to somebody else. BE YOUR BEST! Chalene Johnson

A Spark of Hope

In memory of:
Michael Sparkman
October 11th, 2001-October 21st, 2008
Hope Fimiani
August 26th, 2006-October 13th, 2008
Debbie S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-13, 09:48 AM  
Sophie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyra View Post
I have them all. Actually I have two foam rollers, at that. LOL. (One is shorter - got it so I could take it to the gym.)
Like Kyra, I have them all, PLUS the infamous Theracane. I also have duplicates, some of which I keep at the office - and I literally will shut and lock my door so I can roll around. And in my defense, I have duplicates because the kids and I work out together so sometimes that means rolling together.

They all have different applications - the foam roller I like best for the back body, particularly the back itself, I prefer the stick for calves, shins, outer quads, traps (it's more refined in getting to the right places), Jill Millers bouncy balls/dollar store balls for neck, traps, and very targeted glute work.

It's like different sized paint brushes - depends on what you want to target, and how you want to work on it. So, back to the usual VF answer - you need 'em all

be as relaxed as you can be, as you do what you gotta do.

~erich schiffman
Sophie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-13, 01:26 PM  
slysam

I use a fairly short foam roller and Jill Miller "Yoga Tuneup balls". I've been curious about the sticks or tiger tails but not sure if I really need a third item for this purpose. Admittedly I am curious about the stick mainly for the calfs/shins though the balls work for that area it just takes a bit of trick to position them right. I imagine the stick might be easier?
slysam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-13, 02:12 PM  
isebelleg44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debbie S. View Post
I have them all.

I now have a Grid that I LOVE. I have a regular foam roller and the one I got with P90X 2. That one really hurts, so it's put away.

I foam roll and use my Miracle ball after every workout. I rarely use my Tiger Tail. Anthony from AOS recommends holding a stretch based on your age, and I highly recommend doing so. What a huge difference.
Miracle ball? Is that this? I am intrigued!

http://www.amazon.com/The-Miracle-Ba...s=Miracle+ball

Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.
~Attributed to both T.H. Thompson and John Watson
isebelleg44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-13, 11:53 AM  
Kyra

Quote:
Originally Posted by slysam View Post
I imagine the stick might be easier?
Much. I held off buying one for a long time because I had the tiger tail and it seemed redundant, but I haven't regretted the purchase for a second. Portable, useful tool.

Certified Bulletproof Athlete
Kyra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-13, 01:30 PM  
Sophie

Quote:
Originally Posted by isebelleg44 View Post
Miracle ball? Is that this? I am intrigued!

http://www.amazon.com/The-Miracle-Ba...s=Miracle+ball
I'm not sure if that's the one Debbie meant, but I have these and they are also terrific. Really, all these tools have their usefulness. It's just a matter of preference.

I was thinking the other day that another benefit of the Tiger tail is that you don't have to lie down to use it, even when rolling the back. That's super useful, and easier if you're wearing office clothes. You can also put the sticky end against the wall to stabilize it while holding the other side of the handle to roll, and that's good too.

be as relaxed as you can be, as you do what you gotta do.

~erich schiffman
Sophie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
foam roller, foam rolling, massage, rolling muscle massager, the stick, yamuna