Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-23-13, 12:09 PM  
Gams

I like chocolate chip cookies made with butter. I don't care for ones made with shortening. I need that sweet/salty taste that comes from the combination of butter and sugars.

P. S. My ex-father-in-law baked a lot and made candy and stuff, but I hated his chocolate chip cookies. I used to ask my husband, "How can a man who usually bakes such yummy things make chocolate chip cookies that taste just like store bought?"

BTW, I'm rather impressed by the chocolate chip cookies they sell at McDonald's - they are not bad at all.
Gams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-13, 12:24 PM  
Dorothy J
VF Supporter

What a great thread--I'm sending it to my Evernote right now!

"You want to go into life feeling great, feeling strong, and as you get older, feeling even stronger!" Gin Miller
Dorothy J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-13, 12:28 PM  
isebelleg44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura S. View Post
I have always used the original Toll House Cookie recipe, NOT the one they have had on the packages since the 1980s, but the ORIGINAL original recipe that my mom pulled off the package back in the early 1960s. The recipe below is doubled since it never seemed worth the effort to back what was one batch back in 1960.

2 1/4 c. flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp salt

Mix those ingredients. Then add:

1 c. sugar
1/2 c. brown sugar
2 eggs
2 tsp. vanilla
1 c. shortening

Mix those ingredients. Then add:

2 c. chocolate chips
1 c. chopped nuts (optional)

Bake at 350 degrees for 12-15 minutes. The key is to pull them out of the oven just after they have begun to brown and the raw look is done.

Good luck with your search!
Thanks I am so making this today. I bought all vegetable shortening for the recipe below, so I actually have it on hand.

http://www.elanaspantry.com/primal-c...-chip-cookies/

This is one my favorite chocolate chip cookie recipe and my girls love them. I use one cup of almond meal instead of the oats. I also nix the oil and use all butter instead.

http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes/be...p_cookies.html

Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.
~Attributed to both T.H. Thompson and John Watson
isebelleg44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-13, 12:43 PM  
Jane1721

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaia View Post
Without a doubt, this recipe from Cooks Illustrated:

Published January 1, 1996.
MAKES 1 1/2 DOZEN 3-INCH COOKIES
These truly chewy chocolate chip cookies are delicious served warm from the oven or cooled. To ensure a chewy texture, leave the cookies on the cookie sheet to cool. You can substitute white, milk chocolate, or peanut butter chips for the semi- or bittersweet chips called for in the recipe. In addition to chips, you can flavor the dough with one cup of nuts, raisins, or shredded coconut.
INGREDIENTS
2 1/8cups bleached all-purpose flour (about 10 1/2 ounces)
1/2teaspoon table salt
1/2teaspoon baking soda
12tablespoons unsalted butter (1 1/2 sticks), melted and cooled slightly
1cup brown sugar (light or dark), 7 ounces
1/2cup granulated sugar (3 1/2 ounces)
1 large egg
1 large egg yolk
2teaspoons vanilla extract
1 - 2cups chocolate chips or chunks (semi or bittersweet)
INSTRUCTIONS
1. Heat oven to 325 degrees. Adjust oven racks to upper- and lower-middle positions. Mix flour, salt, and baking soda together in medium bowl; set aside.
2. Either by hand or with electric mixer, mix butter and sugars until thoroughly blended. Mix in egg, yolk, and vanilla. Add dry ingredients; mix until just combined. Stir in chips.
3. Following illustrations below, form scant 1/4 cup dough into ball. Holding dough ball using fingertips of both hands, pull into two equal halves. Rotate halves ninety degrees and, with jagged surfaces exposed, join halves together at their base, again forming a single cookie, being careful not to smooth dough’s uneven surface. Place formed dough onto one of two parchment paper-lined 20-by-14-inch lipless cookie sheets, about nine dough balls per sheet. Smaller cookie sheets can be used, but fewer cookies can be baked at one time and baking time may need to be adjusted. (Dough can be refrigerated up to 2 days or frozen up to 1 month—shaped or not.)
4. Bake, reversing cookie sheets’ positions halfway through baking, until cookies are light golden brown and outer edges start to harden yet centers are still soft and puffy, 15 to 18 minutes (start checking at 13 minutes). (Frozen dough requires an extra 1 to 2 minutes baking time.) Cool cookies on cookie sheets. Serve or store in airtight container.
STEP-BY-STEP

SHAPING THICK CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES

1. Creating a jagged surface on each dough ball gives the finished cookies an attractive appearance. Start by rolling a scant 1/4 cup of dough into a smooth ball.

2. Holding the dough ball in the fingertips of both hands, pull the dough apart into two equal halves.

3. Each half will have a jagged surface where it was ripped from the other. Rotate each piece 90 degrees so that the jagged edge faces up.

4. Jam the halves back together into one ball so that the top surface remains jagged.
I have made this recipe probably hundreds of times, and they are amazing! This is my go-to chocolate chip cookie recipe, but this one from allrecipes.com is a close second (please ignore the picture that currently accomanies the recipe on this site...it doesn't do them justice!). It makes a cakier cookie.

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Best-Ch...es/Detail.aspx
Jane1721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-13, 02:46 PM  
lrb04

I use the one Laura posted but I love to bake & a couple of important steps for any recipe is use BAKING SUGAR it makes a HUGE difference in taste for any baking recipe & if you are using a recipe butter is better than others IMO but for any let the butter/margine to room temperature & then beat with mixer for 3 minutes prior to adding sugar. This will add to flavor. Then mix in sugars for 2-3 minutes. When adding eggs unless the recipe calls for extra beating on beat until egg is incorporated & do not over beat.
lrb04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-13, 03:19 PM  
ronnee
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherry7899 View Post
I didn't know about chilling the dough-thanks for the tip!

I don't have a copy right now, but I really like the recipe on the back of the Trader Joe's bag of chocolate chips
They come out soft and chewy every time. I think I almost underbake them by one minute (exactly) and they firm up a little while
they cool off.

Sherry
I was going to post this too. My teen daughter uses this recipe and the cookies are great! I like them soft and chewy too.

Ronnee
ronnee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-13, 03:21 PM  
ronnee
VF Supporter

Not chocolate chip, it these are AMAZING cookies. Soft and uber chocolately.

http://www.vegetariantimes.com/recip...ocolate-chews/

Ronnee
ronnee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-13, 03:26 PM  
ARTmethodfan
VF Supporter

This thread reminded me of an article in the New York Times -
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/07/09/di...anted=all&_r=0

Here's the actual recipe at NYT.com -
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/07/09/dining/091crex.html

It is also posted on many blogs and is easily found by googling "New York Times chocolate chip cookie"
ARTmethodfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-13, 03:39 PM  
sherry7899

Ronnee-I'm glad I'm not the only one who likes the Trader Joe's recipe. I haven't written down the recipe since I always get it off of the bag. At one point in the last year or two, they stopped carrying the chocolate chips for about three weeks due to kosher labeling concerns. I was worried they wouldn't sell them again-I wanted that recipe! I am going to type it up from the bag I have just in case!

Sherry

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-13, 05:08 PM  
Jules

Not sure if this has been mentioned yet, but Alton Brown did an episode on chocolate chip cookies a few years ago. He made 3 different cookies: The Chewy (my fave), The Puffy, and The Thin.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/good-eats...ha2/index.html
Jules is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chocolate chip cookies, off-topic