Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-07-12, 12:56 PM  
sheepla
VF Supporter

Workout suggestions for fabulous arms?

I've torn a hip flexor muscle and am mostly limited to upper body work for now. Most of the strength workouts I prefer are full body. If I want to spend this time working on getting fabulous arms, which workouts would you recommend? There really can't be a lower body component until I am further along in the healing process.

PUB is a standby favorite of mine but I'm a little burned out on it so would welcome other suggestions.
Old 09-07-12, 01:01 PM  
marmact

The Shoulder & Arm workout from P90X is an oldie but a seriously excellent goody.

I also really like Cathe's Trisets. It includes a really nice UB premix. Some of the work is done on a ball but I imagine you could easily modify to a step or bench if necessary to avoid putting any weight on your injury.
Old 09-07-12, 01:02 PM  
alydinva

I was also going to suggest Cathe's Trisets (there are UB and LB premixes). That, in combo with PUB, have given me beautiful arms and shoulders.
alydinva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-12, 02:45 PM  
ebianco
VF Supporter

My arms never looked better than when I did the Firm Upper Body workout (original compilation) regularly and a lot of cardio.

I'm mostly doing total body work now (kettlebells and such) and a LOT of cardio to get back down to that weight in which my arms looked that good At which time I would like to really focus on them again in part using the Firm Upper Body workout. I really did get a lot of compliments on my arms at the time though!

I also like the other Firm UB workouts, like BSS4 Jiggle Free Arms (which also has cardio) and BSS2(IIRC?) Upper Body, but the original compilation was the toughest.

I also really like 10 Days to a Better Body UB portion with Cindy Witmarsh - great cardio/strength routine, the UB workouts from S90 (Chest & Back; Arms & Shoulders), Barry's Bootcamp UB emphasis with Cindy again, but I still felt like Firm Upper Body just gave the best results for me.

PS, I'm sorry to hear about your injury and I hope you heal up quickly!
Old 09-07-12, 02:47 PM  
Jane P.
VF Supporter

I like the upper body premixes on High Reps, Muscle Max, and STS Total Body.

Some moves require standing, but you could sit if you needed to.
Old 09-07-12, 02:54 PM  
hotncmom

I'm going to go against the grain here and say that bodyweight exercises (various planks/side planks/pushups/tricep pushups) combined with hi-rep light weights and a smidge of unweighted arms works best for me. I don't know if doing the mat work would be uncomfortable for you or not.
hotncmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-12, 03:03 PM  
zippity

I'm sorry you tore your hip flexor; ouch! What's PUB, by the way? Is it Cathe's Pyramid Upper Body?
Old 09-07-12, 03:16 PM  
marmact

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotncmom View Post
I'm going to go against the grain here and say that bodyweight exercises (various planks/side planks/pushups/tricep pushups) combined with hi-rep light weights and a smidge of unweighted arms works best for me. I don't know if doing the mat work would be uncomfortable for you or not.
Planks and their relatives are actually what work best for me, too, but I wouldn't attempt that type of work with a problematic hip flexor.
Old 09-07-12, 10:08 PM  
bfit

This past winter I had an SI joint injury and for a few weeks I could do only seated exercises. Cathe's Slow and Heavy worked well in a chair. Leslie Sansone's Short Cuts Upper Body is all done in a chair and with heavy weights it's not too easy. Safe and Strong at 50 shows a chair modification, and it uses weights and a band. For push-ups and planks I avoided them at first and then I started doing them by putting my hands on the washing machine or the kitchen counter instead of the floor.
bfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-12, 04:22 AM  
PhyllisG

[QUOTE=hotncmom;2098614]I'm going to go against the grain here and say that bodyweight exercises (various planks/side planks/pushups/tricep pushups) combined with hi-rep light weights and a smidge of unweighted arms works best for me.

I am going to agree. Heavy weights did not give me the results I wanted. Light weights high reps really helped to slim and tone my arms along with unweighted work plus planks, push ups etc.
PhyllisG is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
arm definition, arms, chair dumbbell workouts, chair workouts, seated workouts, terri walsh