Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-30-12, 09:57 AM  
boukilisa

Is HIIT working for you?

Is anybody doing mostly HIIT for cardio? How is it working for you? Thanks!
Old 08-30-12, 10:47 AM  
eyefit
VF Supporter

I love Hiit so much more than steady state cardio, it's crazy! If I could do it all the time I would. I tend to do either Hiit or Tabata workouts a lot if it's going to be a cardio day, although I throw a few steady state workouts in there just for variety. I really don't feel like I get much out of steady state cardio, to be honest. I do think it's good to keep the variety in there, though.
My body didn't really change until I started doing mostly Hiit for my cardio, strength training and metabolic workouts (cardio with weights like Afterburn or kettlebells). I don't do Hiit workouts more than twice a week because I know I *shouldn't*...it would probably run me down...but if I could get away with it I would . I love the endorphin release I get when my heart rate goes way up and then down briefly and then up again, and I get in the anaerobic zone.
Old 08-30-12, 10:49 AM  
blablubb

I do 50/10 ZWOW style workouts 4-5 times per week. Since I do them, my husband commented on my "slimming down" all by himself. For me it works (better than BB, unfortunately, which I love, too).
blablubb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-12, 10:59 AM  
boukilisa

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyefit View Post
My body didn't really change until I started doing mostly Hiit for my cardio, strength training and metabolic workouts (cardio with weights like Afterburn or kettlebells). I don't do Hiit workouts more than twice a week because I know I *shouldn't*...it would probably run me down...but if I could get away with it I would . I love the endorphin release I get when my heart rate goes way up and then down briefly and then up again, and I get in the anaerobic zone.
What changes are you seeing? Which HIITs do you do? I can't bring myself to do more than a few minutes of Amy Dixon's Breathless Body workouts. I'm still trying to find the HIIT that I don't dread doing.

Quote:
I do 50/10 ZWOW style workouts 4-5 times per week. Since I do them, my husband commented on my "slimming down" all by himself. For me it works (better than BB, unfortunately, which I love, too).
Blabubb,, what is ZWOW? (As I vidiot I know I may regret asking!)
Old 08-30-12, 11:39 AM  
eyefit
VF Supporter

I love Cathe's Hiit workouts. The STS Hiit and the two new ones with the tabata's and Hiit's are so awesome. I do like the Breathless Body ones by Amy Dixon, however on the BB2 I have to modify a few of the exercises as they just feel like an injury waiting to happen for me. I think Afterburn is actually considered a Hiit workout, too. I also consider Cathe's Plyo legs workouts from STS to be sort of Hiit-ish. I have disc 26 on tap for tomorrow.
Another good one is Tabata inferno from S90, although I always forget I have that one and don't use it too often .

I just got the Delta Fit set but haven't done those workouts yet. I believe he has some Hiit type workouts in that set, too but I don't know if they will be a favorite yet.

I'd say Cathe's CrossFire and To the Max are the ones I'm using the most right now. I am in love!

ETA: As far as changes, I definitely have lost more body fat this year, although I also attribute that to weight training and metabolic workouts as well as Hiit. I think combining those have made all the difference. Oh, and Horizontal Conditioning, too has changed my body a lot so I've developed a huge appreciation for body weight exercise. HC did great things for my core, but also my glutes seem even firmer than before.
Old 08-30-12, 11:41 AM  
blablubb

Quote:
Originally Posted by boukilisa View Post
Blabubb,, what is ZWOW? (As I vidiot I know I may regret asking!)
Don't worry, it's free!
ZuzkaLight

She is doing ZWOWs 50/10 style for 100 days:
Cyclone Fit

She is also doing Hiits for free:
BodyRipped

12 minute Hiit workouts are pretty popular, there is probably a lot more to find.
blablubb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-12, 03:41 PM  
Shelbyfit

Another Thumbs Up for Results of HIIT!!

I LOVE HIIT training!! I do Breathless Body and To the Max regularly, in addition to workouts like Lean Hot Body, Ultimate Cardio Body and Kickbox Surge, and I have definitely seen a leaner look since I picked up HIIT and Tabata. I know I have focused more on my diet as well, so the two really go hand in hand for results!

Just wanted to cast another vote in favor of HIIT.
Shelbyfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-12, 06:12 PM  
Pratima
Exchange Moderator

Short answer--yes! I was doing CLX and only the included cardio at first. It wasn't quite II enough for me. So then I switched to Cathe's HIIT and Breathless Body, which really made a difference.

Now I'm part of an R&D group for a new workout set from Lindsay Brin. I'm nearing the end of the first phase (3 weeks long) which is mostly HIIT and Tabata. I thought I'd lose strength, but there seems to be just enough weighted and unweighted work to keep that from happening. I've lost a couple of pounds and am leaning out all over. I have more muscle on my legs and my arms.

So now I feel like maybe pure HIIT is the key for me. Short, intense workouts were apparently what I needed to get the last couple of pounds of baby weight off.

DISCLOSURE: I have professional relationships with several producers of fitness videos and related products; please see my profile for details.
Pratima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-12, 07:34 PM  
CoolGirlinFl888

Amazingly! I actually have Turbo Fire and they have Hiits. I love them!!! I cheated and did Hiits when I should have done fire. It got me down two dress sizes in a month. I will continue to do them as I have an 8 pound goal to get to and I want to do it quick.
CoolGirlinFl888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-12, 07:49 PM  
AnMrsDe

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyefit View Post

I'd say Cathe's CrossFire and To the Max are the ones I'm using the most right now. I am in love!
Me too!!
AnMrsDe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hiit, lowered blood pressure, successful weight loss