Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-23-12, 07:34 PM  
kristi

Good suggestions with the planks and pushups. I might keep my Bosu longer to try these out and buy P90x2.
kristi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-12, 09:13 PM  
Castella

After wanting a bosu forever, and then getting one, I've been ready to get rid of it...forever. I like challenging my balance and core, but overall I prefer working with balls than with the bosu, which isn't kind to my knees.

I have definitely moved into the "less is more" camp when it comes to equipment.
Castella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-12, 08:16 AM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

I had a BOSU Sport for a long time and something happened to it so that it didn't hold air. When I used it a lot, I did simple step workouts on it. When it died, I wasn't using it for what it was intended, because climbing on it hurt my knees. However, I was using it with ramping workouts, so I replaced it with a inclinable step.

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Something is better than nothing
The best workout is the one you will DO
Laura S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-12, 08:32 AM  
Jewels5

I have a BOSU that collects dust also, when it's not being bounced on by my kiddos that is.

I often think about getting rid of it, but I know it is a great piece of equipment for enhancing balancing skills, etc. I used it as part of my PT exercises when I injured my knee, but I just don't ever use it anymore. My problem is if there isn't a DVD to follow I'm not as likely to do it.
Jewels5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-12, 12:07 AM  
nevertoolate

I really like my Bosu! It's a great balance trainer. I don't use it often enough, mainly because I have so many fitness tools to choose from. But since you all brought it up, I walked on it tonight in between my Skogg intervals, which gave me a good active, balance-training rest interval. I'm going to try to incorporate it that way with more interval workouts. I've also got a half dozen or so good DVDs using the Bosu -- even one with Chalene Johnson! LOL!

Ann
nevertoolate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-12, 04:49 AM  
kpieczy

I ended up going to therapy for knees and they showed me some exercises to do on the bosu. So I'm going to try to use it 2-3 times a week to continue these exercises.
Old 05-25-12, 09:41 AM  
Artist of Eyes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jewels5 View Post
I have a BOSU that collects dust also, when it's not being bounced on by my kiddos that is.

I often think about getting rid of it, but I know it is a great piece of equipment for enhancing balancing skills, etc. I used it as part of my PT exercises when I injured my knee, but I just don't ever use it anymore. My problem is if there isn't a DVD to follow I'm not as likely to do it.
This is why I originally got mine. I was in PT for so long working on my hips and back and the Bosu was one of the peices of equipment that they used. I enjoyed working with it and it does do wonders for the core and adding a new element to your strength workouts. After posting originally, I've given it some thought. I have room to store it so I am going to keep mine. I considered selling it and donating it for a while. I'm moving away from traditional strength work and strength DVDs in general so perhaps now I can find a way to work it into my routine. The only Bosu Instructor I like is Tracey Staehle and her Bosu workouts are limited so I put it in the closet.

Bridges, one legged squats, and deadlifts are really good to use with the Bosu. Perhaps I'll do some of these this weekend.

FWIW there is a Bosu Book on amazon that gives some good exercise ideas for those that are intersted in creating their own strength routines. I haven't opened mine in a while but I thought it included some yoga/pilates balance work too.

" We have to embrace who we are today. We have to say, this is me, and I can live a wonderful life today." FitBoop

"Walking is Man's Best Medicine for Life" Hippocrates

"Of all exercises walking is the best." Thomas Jefferson

"Thoughts come clearly while one walks." Thomas Mann
Artist of Eyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-13, 09:11 PM  
Irisg1

Interesting that I pulled this old thread just as I've been contemplating getting a bosu. I've been looking on Craigslist, but haven't found any in my area yet. Does anyone have this type bosu. I'm afraid it may be crappy compared to the home or pro version, but really don't want to spend a lot, just in case I don't care for it and it becomes a dust collector:

http://www.amazon.com/Bosu-Sport-55-...rds=Bosu+sport

I actually ordered it, then had 2nd thoughts and cancelled it right away. Any opinions would be appreciated. TIA.
Old 01-22-13, 09:29 PM  
JanaK

I got a BOSU from Target a while ago. I turn it upside down and stand on it for a few minutes while I watch t.v. at night. I like it, but for the way I use it I probably should have stuck with my balance board http://www.amazon.com/Reebok-05-5510...ef=pd_sim_sg_8 which I like just as much.
Old 01-22-13, 09:39 PM  
Irisg1

I actually have something similar and did use it for a couple of the bosu exercises, but some moves felt like an accident waiting to happen. I will try putting a puzzle mat underneath the next time I use it, and see how that goes. I am just seeing more and more workouts on The Gymbox that utilize a bosu, and that's what got me thinking of getting one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanaK View Post
I got a BOSU from Target a while ago. I turn it upside down and stand on it for a few minutes while I watch t.v. at night. I like it, but for the way I use it I probably should have stuck with my balance board http://www.amazon.com/Reebok-05-5510...ef=pd_sim_sg_8 which I like just as much.

Tags
bosu, bosu sport