Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-30-11, 01:01 PM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

Ana Forrest in NYT

Interesting Forrest Yoga article in the New York Times.

"Computer roadkill bodies," raising hand here. Interesting about her Guardians - reminds me of the Pilates trainers who are linked to Joe Pilates by having trained with Romana or one of his handful of key trainers.
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-11, 01:05 PM  
Danielle*
VF Supporter

Hi Pat!
My DH emailed me the same article this morning, I really enjoyed it. Ana Forrest was my very first yoga workshop. I don't use her DVDs anymore, but I have good memories from that workshop.

Danielle
Danielle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-11, 01:33 PM  
cyana

Guardians, emissaries, assistants.....whatever she wants to call them.....they were without a doubt the best "helpers" I've ever had the pleasure of experiencing in a yoga workshop. She likes to refer to them as "healers"....they knew exactly where to touch, how to correct, how to help you understand how to relax into a pose.....and would administer a little neck massage while they were in the neighborhood! Ahhhhhhh......

"I've decided to grow old disgracefully." - Twigs
cyana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-11, 09:27 PM  
lreidgreen
VF Supporter

Interesting article. I used to take classes with someone that trained with Ana Forrest and she is an excellent teacher.
I would love to go to one of Ana's upcoming workshops in New York City but early November will not work for me. I am thinking of maybe taking a road trip to Connecticut or Boston to do one of the September workshops.
I did a 3 day workshop with Ana several years ago at Kripalu and it was INTENSE.
Does anyone here have her book? I am thinking of adding it to my next Amazon order or checking to see if Borders has it at a deep discount.

Leslie
lreidgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-11, 06:16 AM  
sherry7899

Leslie, did you attend a yoga studio in Pennington? I remember there were classes by teachers who were trained by Ana.

Sherry
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-11, 08:44 AM  
SharonNYC
VF Supporter

If you've never workshop a class with Ana and you still think yoga isn't enough for strength benefit I recommend the experience. My three (or was it four) sessions with her were more than enough for me. I don't jibe well with emphatic-personality yoga. Doesn't give me (personally) room to grow. However, she's definitely left a mark on my practice.

I do still use her DVDs, now and then, with a lot of time between them.

I think her approach probably works wonderfully well for the right person. I tend to push myself too much -- so Ana is overkill for me. If I'm going to get mentally and physically beaten into submission I guess I'd rather do it with Ana than one of her guardians. But it'd be a pit-or-pendulum thing for me.
I'm what I am, and what I am,
Is back on Boogie Street.

Leonard Cohen/Sharon Robinson "Boogie Street" 10 New Songs.

(I have a professional/personal relationship with an instructor who produces video and book material relevant to this site.)
SharonNYC is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ana forrest