Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-08-11, 06:02 PM  
daisysunshine

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindseylu8 View Post
  • slow and steady wins the race.
  • Dont do anything extreme (extreme calorie cuts or crazy 3 hour workouts)
  • pick one thing you can change & change it. Keep on doing that
  • Youve done it before, you can do it again
  • Make it a lifestyle change
  • Once you get to your goal- dont go back to what you were doing. You have to stick w/ it or youll get right back to where you started in no time.

to be fair - I love working out for long periods of time to make sure I get done everything I want to get done. I don't do it as an extreme measure - i do it because I enjoy it and when I have time, have the time

...right now you're saying, no i can't do this. you should know by now i don't train that way - Dasha Libin

offering the two tracey mallet dance workouts, pm me.
daisysunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-11, 06:09 PM  
smissy

You know...talking of the extended workout time...I have SO MANY different workout DVDs (over 300 ) and so many different types of workouts...I get workout ADD..I literally put it off because I can't decide on what I want to do

Maybe I just need to put many of those away (the majority are high intermediate to advanced that I can no longer do) and only keep ten or so out.. too many options!!
smissy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-11, 06:22 PM  
CHAPLYN61

Excellent thread. I have about 20 to lose and have fluctuated with this amount for the past couple of years. My problem is that I am tall and can carry ( hide) my weight due to my height. On my team at work, they started a weight loss challange but would not let me partake as they felt that I did not have alot to loose. I wanted to join for the motivation and encouragement. If you ladies do start a check in....would it be restricted? This time of the year is tough on my motivation...and I would finally like to be at my goal weight before I hit 50. And truly..I don't care if I'm a few pounds off, I just want to feel better.
CHAPLYN61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-11, 06:29 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

((((sherry))))

hope you don't mind me posting since i can't say i lost as many pounds as you and the rest of the posters, but i think that whether you have many or "just" several pounds to lose, it comes down to the same technique of being consistent and just focusing on actions for the current day.

about 10 years ago, i lost around 18#. that was weight accumulated over an 11 year period. took me about 18 months to lose the 18#. i wasn't weighing myself at all. i was just focusing on "doing X for today," not whether i had lost weight. (by the way, i gained half back!!!)

since you've had the experience of having lost a significant amount, i'm sure there were daily actions/habits that you can recall that led to your success.

try writing them down. then commit to just doing one of those actions starting today, and do them for 7 days, then add another from your list.

to me, that's what baby steps are. i use to think baby steps meant "ok, i have to lose 100#, so that means 1# today. i have to lose 1# today (she weighs herself); oh no, i didn't lose 1# today, so i am a FAILURE."

actions would include:
complimenting yourself for 3 things you did right today
writing in your food and/or exercise log
working out for 30 minutes today
drank 8 glasses of water
taking the stairs X# of times today
getting to bed 10 min earlier than my average bedtime

...great thread, by the way, & thanks for starting it!

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-11, 06:31 PM  
Dobby
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dickensgirl View Post
Pam: Bravo for your success!! Your story was very motivating to me. I'm struggling with some weight to lose, but also my body has seemingly turned on me, new aches & pains everywhere But your method is so sensible & doable & it's going to be my new role model Thanks-
Jeri
Thanks Jeri. I have been shocked by the weight loss. I am 61 so weight does not come off easily. There is a link in the Recipe Box forum to the PCRM (Physician's Committee on Responsible Medicine) vegan kickstart which was the 1st 3 weeks of Jan. Another one is coming up in April if anyone is interested in cleaning up your act, food-wise.

smissy, that is what has always kind of paralyzed me in formulating a rotation...as soon as I start weights I decide I am interested in Barre! Weeks ago someone else posted a similar rotation to what I settled on and I thought WOW that's it! I get the strength, I get the cardio and if I really want a Jari Love or a CLX or heaven forfend a P90X thrown in there on a Friday it all works!! I'm pretty liberal on my interpretation of barre...some are not really barre but the instructor has a barre workout so that much count for something!

However, when I started with this in January, someone posted about ABB (aerobic base building) which really thru me off. I researched that and thought maybe I should try it, then decided Barre/Cardio was REALLY what I wanted so I should go for it! I have to be careful that I don't get myself into that bandwagon mindset that some other training method might work better. I need to just concentrate on putting in my 6 days a week and enjoying it!

Pam
Dobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-11, 06:48 PM  
lfcjasp
Exchange Moderator

Cool

Sherry, I'm there with you and way too many of us I was doing so good, loved all the compliments...I'm not sure just what went awry, but here I am, at least 40# regained I am trying to just eat intuitively and less of anything and everything and being more active (a lot of walking) and my jeans were not so tight today My knees have been complaining a lot about the excess poundage they're having to cope with, so are my feet.

I'd be game with a check-in...though I've not been too good at them...

I was broken-hearted at having to give away my small size tops and get them in bigger sizes...but it is what it is. I've said before to just not give up...now I need to apply this to ME
Old 02-08-11, 06:56 PM  
cmarsh4

Are we doing a check in here or at Facebook. I can go either way.

Thanks
cmarsh4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-11, 07:13 PM  
mommy2two

Quote:
Originally Posted by daisysunshine View Post
kauaigirl - please PM me with your FB information - I'll add you right now
[as some people have realised - I LIVE on facebook].

if anyone wants to do a list-serv kind of thing - I guess I can do it. (I can't forget if I am getting tons of emails a day now, Can I! ).

(anyone who wants to do one and ones too - pm me your email address - as some people have gathered: I am a chatty goose. I can talk your ear off. it might annoy you though LOL).

I also would be open to any and all forms. Would love to get to know some of you and get and give encouragement.
mommy2two is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-11, 07:25 PM  
paideiamom
VF Supporter

I, too, am amenable to any forum. As far as FB goes, you don't have to use your real name and you can block anyone outside your chosen few from seeing anything. That being said, there can be a yahoo group or we can do a blog on blogger, restricted just to invitees.

Maybe a poll would work to get a feel for what people want. The problem with doing a check in here is it may inhibit posters from sharing fully.

"Moderation is remembered only after the deed is done." Mirabelle Watkinson, fabulous writer in residence.

"I am patient with stupidity but not those who are proud of it." Edith Sitwell

Words matter.

I thought I had seen it all. Then I tried on my bathing suit. (Unknown sage at craft show)
paideiamom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-11, 07:32 PM  
Nuggie's Auntie

There are some great suggestions on this thread. Thanks for sharing!

I wouldn't be participating in a check-in, but I would suggest choosing a forum other than VF. That way you could speak more freely and in greater depth about your eating plans.

All the best to all of you on your weight loss!!
Nuggie's Auntie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
motivation, successful weight loss, weight loss