Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-08-11, 01:17 PM  
ssgilby

Great post, Sherri! And congrats to you!!
Old 02-08-11, 01:33 PM  
Lucky Star
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kauaigirl View Post
If people are interested and on Facebook, I would be happy to set up a VF weight loss/maintenance support group. I can privatize it so that only approved people can see it. If there is interest, I'm happy to do it.
I love this idea but I'm not on FB (and no wish to be).
Lucky Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-11, 02:07 PM  
smissy

Oh my...I can sooo relate. I guess I'm supposed to help, but I'm not even helping myself I'm an emotional/stress eater and have been under a lot of stress (taking care of my 93 yr old Mom) the last 2-1/2 years. I really wish there was a way to start a support/encouragement group as I feel many who don't have this struggle don't understand...my story:

I was always active with a tendancy to put on a little weight from time to time..maybe up to 15 pounds...I was a cheerleader in high school (at that time the only girl's sport was tennis). In the 80's the aerobic dance revolution took hold and I was a certified group instructor (then IDEA, now ACE; and AFAA) and taught for ten years. I also took nine hours of nutrition classes when I was working on my degree, I KNOW WHAT TO DO!!! What is wrong with me?!?!

In my early 40's the weight started to creep on. I stopped teaching aerobics and got a 9-5 job. By the age of 45 I found myself 70 pounds overweight. I buckled down and lost 60 pounds. And like you, Sherry, for a brief year, enjoyed wearing cute smaller clothes and feeling fabulous. Then my son "vacationed" in sunny Iraq (Marine Corps) and then my Mom....I'm now 5 pounds above where I started. I've joined WW 3 times...lost 10-15 pounds, then...WHAM. I'm having trouble viewing myself in a positive light and find myself withdrawing away from social obligations...even online. Easy to do since I quit my job four years ago to return to school. With Mom I had to reduce class hours (the commute to school is a two hour round trip) and haven't graduated yet. This semester I'm taking online classes, so the only interaction I have is my family and online.

Sorry I've monopolized your thread, but I think this "rebound" situation is very common and I would love to either take part in a check in. I am on FB, but not everyone here is. I've been a part of another check in, and while those ladies are wonderful (not this site), they were all advanced exercisers and I pulled away, once again...

I'm truly sick of myself and feel ready to do something about this. I'll be 55 this summer and don't want to be frail when I'm in my 60s or 70s (or with my genes [hopefully], older). I want to live to see grandchildren and have the physical energy and fitness to run around with them. I did just get a vitamix and have upped my veggie/fruit comsumption drastically and that has helped my mood...

Would love to join a group if one is started....thanks
Sharron

Edited to add that my profile pic is from my wonderful brief time close to ideal weight...I HATE cameras and can't figure out how to change the pic...my FB has more recent pics...
smissy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-11, 02:19 PM  
cmarsh4

Oh ladies I would love a support group. I am one of those people who are all or nothing. About 4 years ago I lost 40 pounds and I was so happy and looked really good and healthy. I was exercising and eating right then for some reason I just gave up. I am one of those rare people who just gain weight so easily no matter what I do and it is hard to always eat right and exercise a lot and not see results so I just quit. I know this is not healthy and after gaining 43 pounds back I started down a healthy road again in November. I have lost 17 lbs is 17 weeks or so. I know it is only 1 lb a week and the way I eat and exercisie is should be twice that much but I have to live with my metobolism the way it is(perfectly healthy just slow). I want to get there this time and stay there. Why do I gain it back?? If you guys get a support group going please let me know, I would love to be a supporter and be supported both.

Thanks

Chris
cmarsh4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-11, 02:19 PM  
MsThistlebottom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky Star View Post
I love this idea but I'm not on FB (and no wish to be).
Same here, but awesome post, Sherri!

"When I was young, I used to admire intelligent people; as I grow older, I admire kind people." -- Abraham Joshua Heschel
MsThistlebottom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-11, 02:33 PM  
RedPanda

Sherri - sending you (and everyone else in this situation) big cyber-hugs!

You're getting some good advice here, but as someone said upthread, not everything works for everybody, and you have to find what works for you.

FWIW, here's what worked (and is still working) for me:

* not eating out (saves $$$ too)

* planning your food (including snacks) ahead of time. I've been doing a weekly food plan every week since I started losing 10 years ago. Being organised helps me to feel in control, which is important to me.

* in line with the points above, getting into a routine, if you're not already.

* planning for contingencies (for example, I keep some water-packed tuna at work in case I have to work late and am weak from lack of food - keeps me away from the vending machine)

* investing in a food scale, if you don't already have one

* getting your partner on board. I do the menu planning and Mr RedPanda does the cooking, which works out well for us.

* taking it one day at a time. I think this is really important - people tend to get overwhelmed when they look at the bigger picture, and weight loss should be slow and gradual anyway, so it makes sense to take it one day, and one week at a time. It's a cliché, but it really is a lifestyle, not a diet, and you can only make permanent lifestyle changes slowly and gradually.

* enjoying the journey - experimenting with new recipes, trying new healthy foods, trying new forms of exercise - and of course, buying new workout DVDs!
Old 02-08-11, 02:37 PM  
ddj
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demeris View Post

How soon I get there, however, depends on my body, not on my diet or exercise.
This is so very, very true. And yet I still beat myself up because what I'm doing isn't working.

I don't have a lot to lose, but I have lost a decent bit in the past and it is hard to maintain. I think maintainers need a support group, too!

Good luck to all of you. I hope you can help each to wonderful success!
Old 02-08-11, 02:45 PM  
smith938
VF Supporter

I'm going to go back later and read all the posts - but I was doing WW and was close to 50 lbs - this was 3-4 yrs ago - and slowly but surely put it back on and it's so depressing. I'm trying to get it back off though I guess since I'm already backslidden I shouldn't say 'trying'..such a 'loser' feeling. but I'm glad you started this thread 'cause I need some encouragement too! acdtually need someone here making me do what I need to do LOL! I read in The Beck Diet Solution(it's a behavioral type book not a diet book in spite of the name) that you write down on index cards your reasons and every day you read through them - think the beginning and end of the day plus any time you feel 'weak' to remind yourself of why you're doing it...worked til I couldn't find my cards one day and while looking for them found food. she has you do a bunch of cards though and I finally fizzled then couldn't find where I put the book.
Old 02-08-11, 02:56 PM  
smissy

You know, Susanna, I have, "The Beck Diet Solution" somewhere in my basement....I may try to find it ...maybe I'm ready for it's message. I'm wondering if I should just focus on a healthy diet, exercise and how my clothes feel......and not focus on the numbers on the scale? I don't know...I get so anal and feel my eating has to be perfect...when I slide I avalanche!!
smissy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-11, 03:00 PM  
Rhonda

Let me know if you start an e-mail group. Would love to join.

Rhonda
Rhonda is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
motivation, successful weight loss, weight loss