Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-20-10, 07:20 PM  
jloewe

Sun salutes with a chair??

Can anyone point me in the direction of a sun salute sequence that would use a chair...I simply cannot go through the required stepping motions of a full sun salute..my hamstrings are horribly tight, and while I am in no hurry to be able to master a full salute, I do want to enjoy some of the benefits of the sun salute sequence...would a half salute be acceptable as a modification??,..as opposed to fast forwarding the DVD whenever the sun salutes begin.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Jerry
jloewe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-10, 07:34 PM  
buffmama

Power Yoga for Every Body by bodywisdom has sun salutations done with a chair. Seems like you came up with a good sub .
buffmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-10, 07:58 PM  
Sophie

you can definitely do sun salutes using a chair, though it doesn't feel quite as flow-y. But just out of curiosity, what stepping part of the salutation is giving you trouble? have you already experimented with chair-less modifications? Not that there is wrong with anything using a chair of course.

be as relaxed as you can be, as you do what you gotta do.

~erich schiffman
Sophie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-10, 09:24 PM  
RedPanda

The Power of Relaxation, one of the Australian Chi Ball DVDs, uses a chair as a modification for sun salutations. It's a slow-moving, relaxing style of yoga with a modifier demonstrating modifications for the less flexible.

My review is here.
Old 09-20-10, 09:52 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

You need the book Cool Yoga Tricks! All kinds of great yoga modifications, including sun salutes w/a chair.

In the meantime, here are some links:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lasm-FmdQ3c
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72Y5fbf36AE
http://www.strongerseniors.com/node/42

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-10, 11:19 PM  
D72

I don't know if you've ever heard of a yoga instructor named Peggy Cappy but she's featured on PBS and her sun salutations are done with a chair.
D72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-10, 11:54 PM  
bfit

I don't know if you have an exercise ball (the big inflatable kind), but there is a workout called "Yoga on the Ball" (an older workout on VHS) that shows sun salutations and many other moves (like downward facing dog) using the ball. It works well, and it's a fun workout even after you master the moves.
bfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-10, 07:09 AM  
JulieWW

Hi Jerry,

I would recommend Rodney Yee's Smart Start Yoga. It begins with a 30 minute or so seated yoga practice. The setting is pretty and the music relaxing. I do much harder yoga but when my cervical spine is irritated, I use this program. I have immediate and long-term pain relief for my spine. A portion in the middle has a seated sun salutation flow with twists. It is a gentle practice but effective, IMHO.
JulieWW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-10, 07:17 AM  
sheepla
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by toaster View Post
You need the book Cool Yoga Tricks! All kinds of great yoga modifications, including sun salutes w/a chair.
totally agree. I'm fairly experienced at yoga and still use this book all the time!
sheepla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-10, 07:28 AM  
Eibhinn

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfit View Post
I don't know if you have an exercise ball (the big inflatable kind), but there is a workout called "Yoga on the Ball" (an older workout on VHS) that shows sun salutations and many other moves (like downward facing dog) using the ball. It works well, and it's a fun workout even after you master the moves.
If you're referring to Yoga on the Ball by Sara Ivanhoe, which I'm pretty sure you are, it's available on DVD now, either on its own, or as the "bonus" workout on Sara's "Yoga Makeover" 2 dvd set, which is very cheap (usually about $10), and has 5 other 20 minute long yoga workouts. I think most of those other practices - except the abs one - would be something to work up to for something with very tight hamstrings, however the price is right even if it's just used for the ball practice.
Eibhinn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chair yoga, cool yoga tricks, peggy cappy, sun salutations