Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-25-10, 06:19 PM  
Karen Beckwith
VF Supporter

I've finally done all three of the new Back Pain Relief DVD segments as well as the Core Workout. I'm a long-time fan of Classical Stretch but I have to agree with everyone else - this is not the best workout for back pain relief. It was OK but I have other DVD's that I think relieve my back pain much better. I should say I only have occasional lower back pain.

The Core Workout was better, although I didn't see it as that much of a core workout. The first half was mostly upper body stretching and that's my favorite Miranda-type exercise, but I'm not sure it did anything for my core. She then did some ab exercises and finished up with barre -type hip stretches.

I like a lot of her other workouts much better.

"Comfort zones are very often expanded by discomfort." - Mimi Solaire
Karen Beckwith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-10, 07:28 PM  
desertMermaid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen Beckwith View Post
I have to agree with everyone else - this is not the best workout for back pain relief. It was OK but I have other DVD's that I think relieve my back pain much better.
Karen,

Thanks so much for the review!! That is such a shame, I had high hopes for this. I don't have a back pain problem but Hubby does and I was looking for something for him. Which other DVDs do you have that relieve your back pain better?
desertMermaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-10, 07:37 PM  
Non-Dancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertMermaid View Post
Karen,

... Which other DVDs do you have that relieve your back pain better?
Karen, I'd like to know about these other DVDs too.

Linda
Non-Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-10, 07:40 PM  
JackieB
VF Supporter

Well, I still like the old back pain one. But, Yoga Zone has a nice Back Pain Relief video. Yoga for Back Pain or something like that.
JackieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-10, 07:45 PM  
desertMermaid

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackieB View Post
Well, I still like the old back pain one. But, Yoga Zone has a nice Back Pain Relief video. Yoga for Back Pain or something like that.
I'm going to try and find the original one, but I won't hold my breath! I don't think I'll be successful in getting hubby to do yoga, but thanks for the suggestion, I might mention that one to my mom (she has back pain too).
desertMermaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-10, 09:35 PM  
Karen Beckwith
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertMermaid View Post
Karen,

Thanks so much for the review!! That is such a shame, I had high hopes for this. I don't have a back pain problem but Hubby does and I was looking for something for him. Which other DVDs do you have that relieve your back pain better?
Besides other Classical Stretch workouts as mentioned above, here are a few:

Priscilla Patrick's Lower Back Pain Repair Kit. http://yogaone.com/cart/products.php?prod=3 This one is very old but it's one of the best for current pain. If you look on her website, you'll see this one is available in VHS for $25 and DVD for about $30. Unless she's changed, the DVD is actually a DVD-R so you might as well get the VHS. It's too bad it's so expensive, but it really is effective.

Winsor Pilates The Back Workout. I'm not sure this one is still available but I always feel better after doing it.

Viniyoga Therapy for the low back, sacrum and hips. Yep, it's dry as can be but it seems to work.

Back to Health with Nancy Wile, Vol. 2 (Volume 1 is good too but this one has slightly shorter workouts and it's filmed in Red Rock Canyon outside of Las Vegas). It has 3 workouts: Neck and Upper Back Program (the one I use the most), Low Back Program, and Back Strength and Flexibility.

Gaiam A.M. and P.M. Stretch with Madeline Lewis. I love these workouts for general stretching - they always makes me feel wonderful. Both practices are great but I probably do P.M. more.

There are lots of threads about back pain workouts so you might want to do a search. I hope your husband gets some relief!

"Comfort zones are very often expanded by discomfort." - Mimi Solaire
Karen Beckwith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-10, 07:44 AM  
sundari

Thank you Karen for your review and for your suggestions.

I would also suggest these:

Gary Kraftsow's "Viniyoga therapy for Low Back, Sacrum & Hips". As Karen stated it is not the most exciting but it is good. The sections are short and good for those time crunched. They run : Low Back 23min., Hip Therapy 30 min. & Strength and Stability 31 min.

Gary's "Viniyoga therapy for Upper Back, Neck & Shoulders". Not exciting again. Sections are Upper Back & Neck Therapy 22 min., Neck & Shoulder Therapy 32 min., and Strength and Stability 40 min. Gary is very good at explaining and has a calm voice.

Mimi Solaire's "Back In Shape". This workout has two section 15 min. each. Or you can do the whole thing. The first section includes Breathing, relaxation, back and abs exercises and hip openers. The second section includes releasing tension in your neck and shoulders and spinal flexibility. This is shot on Whitdsunday Islands, Australia. Mimi does voice over.

Mimi's "Deep Stretch". This is shot indoors and has a bland set. The poses are held longer and it is a relaxing DVD. The sections are Back Stretches 20 min., Legs & Hips 20 min., Neck and Shoulders 20 min. There is also a 10 min. bonus stretch.

Barbara Benaugh's "Yoga for Stress Relief". This DVD has many uses. But for this thread I'll just include the back sections. Easing Neck & Shoulder Tension (passive) 20min. also (active, extended 30 min.), Lower Back Tension 35 min., Hip Pain 35 min. This shot in a tropical location and is very relaxing.

"Yoga Zone for a Strong & Healthy Back" has two 20 min sections shot in Jamaica.

Peggy Cappy "Back Care Basics". This is a very relaxing DVD. It is a long DVD but very well chaptered so you can do whatever section you want. Part 1 Restorative Poses 8:04 min., Part 2 On the back-Leg & Back Stretches 24:49 min., Part 3 On the side -Half Bow Pose/On Hands & Knees-Leg & Back Stretches 13:08 min., Part 4 On the belly - Locust & Cobra Pose Variations 10:07 min., Part 5 Hamstring Stretches 12:33 min., Part 6 Three Part Breath Exercise 8:21 min., Part 7 Guided Relaxation 11:11 min. This is shot indoors.

"Classical Stretch Season 4" has two specific back episodes. Disc 3 Episode 20 offers Back Pain Relief and Episode 21 offers Back Pain Prevention at 24 minutes each. I find this Season of CS to be the best because of the variety, pace, explanation and beautiful scenery.
Old 07-26-10, 08:06 AM  
alisoncooks

Karen & Sundari--
I think you guys have just wrote my new wishlists for me!!! Thank (I think )!

ETA: The Yoga Zone for Strong & Healthy Back is on Hulu!
alisoncooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-10, 08:35 AM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

There are two great practices from Lillah Schwartz, too:

Yoga, Freedom from Back Pain

and

Yoga, Relief from Neck & Shoulder Pain

These are a little old (transfers from VHS), but I absolutely love the second one in particular (my own problem areas). Both are available on Amazon (the links above) or as downloads from iHanuman.com.

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-10, 09:53 AM  
sundari

Quote:
Originally Posted by alisoncooks View Post
Karen & Sundari--
I think you guys have just wrote my new wishlists for me!!! Thank (I think )!

ETA: The Yoga Zone for Strong & Healthy Back is on Hulu!
Always happy to help

Hulu is great for many things. Enjoy!!!

Tags
back issues, back pain, classical stretch, miranda, miranda esmonde-white, peggy cappy, season 4, winsor pilates back