Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-06-10, 12:19 PM  
SurferGirl

So, I have a Bodybugg...(help needed)

For the awhile now I just wore it to see how many calories I burn on a normal basis. I burn approx 1800 a day.

Well, on March 1st I decided I was going to get strict with watching my calories. Summer is around the bend and I would love to lose 10 pounds before then.

On March 1st I wasn't feeling well and stayed in bed most of the day. I didn't exercise until 4p and it was the Weight Watchers walking video with Ellen Barrett. I burned 1802 calories.

Each day after that I'm burning less and less calories a day, even with exercise. (I've been doing an Ellen Barrett rotation for a month now-The Studio, Self and Crunch workouts.) I'm eating approx 1000-1200 calories.

Can my metabolism slow down that fast??

It's gone like this:
Feb 24=1721 cals
Feb 25=1706 cals
Feb 26=1858 cals
Feb 27=1885 cals
Feb 28=1517 cals (no exercise this day)

Began diet:
March 1st=1802 cals
March 2nd=1656 cals
March 3rd=1699 cals
March 4th=1675 cals
March 5th=1581 cals!

I'm really upset and don't know what to do now. I'm finally motivated to lose weight and it seems to be killing my metabolism.

Any advice??
SurferGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-10, 12:27 PM  
Mary09(b)

I really don't think it's your metabolism. I read recently that this 'starvation mode' doesn't kick in until someone's truly starving, like severe calorie deficits for many months and no surplus fat or tissue to burn. It makes sense that our bodies wouldn't restrict our energy when we need it most, when it's time to get out there and hunt and forage.

I wear a Fitbit and used to wear a BB. I do see some inexplicably low days and I wonder why. I'd guess it's either the device or some days we just really don't realize we're more sedentary than we think.
Mary09(b) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-10, 12:30 PM  
SurferGirl

What I don't understand is that these are the lowest days I've had so far (not including the days I don't exercise).

But these are all days I've been exercising.
Old 03-06-10, 12:47 PM  
Mary09(b)

One thing you can do is pick up a new BB and wear both for a day or two and see if one is acting up. Then return one. They charge a fortune, they can re-fab one for resale. I wouldn't do that if they weren't so dang expensive.

Or wear a HRM with one for a while, and then estimate your BMR to add back in.

Or clean your contact, maybe?

1500s would worry me if I saw it on my graphs. What does the BB credit you during sleep? Around 1 calorie/minute? What's your height and weight?
Old 03-06-10, 12:50 PM  
SurferGirl

4'11"
115 lbs

My goal is 100-105 (I've been this weight before and was very comfortable at it).

I burn .9 cals a minute when sleeping.
Old 03-06-10, 01:09 PM  
KarenP
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SurferGirl View Post
What I don't understand is that these are the lowest days I've had so far (not including the days I don't exercise).

But these are all days I've been exercising.
Is it possible that you were more sedentary on these days (outside of your workout) than you had been when you first got your bugg?

Karen

QUIT SLOUCHING!!!
KarenP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-10, 01:16 PM  
SurferGirl

No, I don't think so.
Old 03-06-10, 01:27 PM  
Waterbabie
VF Supporter

The body is funny --- not sure you have the same issue as me, but I've found when I restrict my calories too low I unconsciously move less the rest of the day (I workout in the AM 4-6 days per week).

The last couple of weeks, I've had a 300 calorie difference between my average calorie burn at the beginning of the year vs now and my workouts haven't changed all that much.

This week I plan to make a conscious goal to meet my step target to try and reverse the trend.
Old 03-06-10, 02:22 PM  
Mary09(b)

So if you slept 24 hours you'd burn about 1300 calories (says it), so 1600 WITH a workout seems very low, unless you just sat the whole rest of the day. Does it show you only burning about that sleep level throughout that day, excepting your workout time?

If you can, keep doing what you're doing and see if your weight loss is roughly equal to what your caloric deficits would predict. It's been less than a week. Even if your body is already doing some sort of strange calorie hoarding already, I doubt the BB could notice that. Unless you're just unconsciously moving less. I know they have those skin sensors but I really think they rely heavily on movement inputs. Mine never gave me any 'credit' for tough workouts that didn't have big movements of the sort they track, even if I was sweating and gasping.
Old 03-06-10, 07:15 PM  
suebella
VF Supporter

I have a BodyBugg too. How do your hourly graphs look? Can you pinpoint when you burn the most calories and the fewest? Are you burning fewer calories all day long or just burning fewer during formal activity?

I second the suggestion about cleaning your contacts.

Maybe you can compare how much you used to burn a few weeks ago with the same times this week.

It's very possible that you are fatigued from your illness and you are moving less. Your body may need the rest so I wouldn't fight against it. I'd give it another couple of weeks to see what happens.

Overall I would say that the BodyBugg has been eye-opening for me. I burn far fewer calories than I thought I did, other than when I'm running, when I burn far more. It's quite interesting.

How people treat you is their karma; how you react is yours.”
- Author Unknown, but definitely not me.
suebella is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bodybugg, calories, metabolism