Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-17-10, 05:01 PM  
sheepla
VF Supporter

If you sew (not OT)

I was browsing patterns online and came across this:

http://www.simplicity.com/p-1935-crafts.aspx

It's a pattern for yoga bolsters and accessories. I don't know why it never occurred to me before that I could make myself bolsters. Has anyone tried this?
sheepla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-10, 05:27 PM  
Eibhinn

I actually got this pattern a year ago when my local fabric store had a crazy buy one get three free sale. I have all the supplies to make the bolster, but haven't had the time to do it yet. With the exception of the zafu cushions and bolster, the "patterns" are all pretty much simple squares and rectangles and painfully obvious (ie. a "pattern" is unnecessary). It seemed worthwhile to me for the bolster (which I've wanted) because I've never come across any local sources for them and they are pretty expensive even before you add on shipping.

I did make myself a zafu many years ago from a pattern I found on a zen meditation website. I bought a cheap buckwheat pillow from Zellers and used the hulls as stuffing, and the thing gets lots of use in a variety of capacities.

I managed to track down the instructions I used -- now hosted on a different site:
http://www.michiganbuddhist.com/zafu/

You've inspired me to look for yoga sewing stuff online again (I've looked in the past with very little success). The following blog postings have links to some free yoga-related sewing patterns. Unfortunately the SewNews yoga poses for sewers artice linked in the next posting is 404. Seems everything I've ever seen linked to on SewNews ends up being the same.

http://yogawithgaileee.blogspot.com/search/label/Sewing

This posting is from the same blog, and is commercial sewing patterns for yoga clothes and gear, including the one you pointed out.

http://yogawithgaileee.blogspot.com/...%20Accessories

I'll add Jalie patterns as well. I've always wanted to get the yoga pants pattern from them - I've always seen really good reviews of their patterns, which include alot of sports, dance and outerwear designs.

http://www.jalie.com/sports-apparel/...2513579106278c

Anyone else do any yoga or workout related sewing and have advice or resources to share? It would be great to pool any info people have been able to collect.
Eibhinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-10, 07:46 PM  
Pam

Yoga Socks

I love the ideas of sewing other yoga/exercise clothing and props! Thanks for this thread Sheepla and the websites Eibhinn.

I have knitted myself a couple pairs of yoga socks. Basically they are socks without the toes or heels. I use the socks for all my indoor exercising. I have troubles with PF and find if I exercise without shoes (more stretching & strengthen for feet?) I don't have troubles with PF. Having some of my feet bare I don’t slip.

The floors in my house are concrete and at 9,000 ft in Colorado mountains they are cold before the sun heats them up. So the socks are very appreciated at 6am!

The 2nd pair I knitted at a tighter gauge, using a ribbed stitch pattern, and used worsted weight yarn. I like them better the 1st pair that are knitted more like I would knit regular socks (not at such a tight gauge). Worsted weight is heavier yarn than usually socks would be made out of.
Pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-10, 08:33 PM  
tytbody
VF Supporter

I do want to sew again and I'd love a zafu. if I could just get the meditation down maybe I'd use it. or if I make one then maybe I will use it. I have made buckwheat hull eye pillows for my massage clients, then they were too heavy for the eyes so I went to calendula and mug wort to keep it light, and make them sleep

~~~Cheryl

Completed a 10 day Pilates Challenge 2019
Completed Pilates 7 day Challenge 2019

Live Life Simply -Simply Love Life
tytbody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-10, 08:35 PM  
Sophie

I've made sandbag covers, eyebags and straps. The main thing that keeps me from making things like bolsters is finding good stuffing - all I can find around here is the cylindrical foam, which isn't really firm enough. I'd like to have either the cotton or kapok that's in the commercial ones. Ditto the meditation cushions - hard to find good filling (I like the buckwheat hulls). But if you're somewhere where it's relatively easy to get good materials, I think it would be fun. I did make a cover for my meditation mat, just for extra protection. Which turned out to be unnecessary since I hardly ever use it

be as relaxed as you can be, as you do what you gotta do.

~erich schiffman
Sophie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-10, 08:55 PM  
sheepla
VF Supporter

Wow, thanks, Eibhinn, I had no idea there were so many resources out there for making yoga props. I agree with Sophie that the concern with bolsters would be finding the right filling. I'm starting a quest. Think of all the fun colors and fabrics I can choose for my yoga accessories now.
sheepla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-10, 09:35 PM  
Eibhinn

Ditto with the stuffing problem. I actually looked all over for Kapok years ago, but could never find any. I've also never been able to find buckwheat hulls in bulk, although I've seen a number of craft projects calling for it (like eye pillows). Apparently it's used as a soil enricher or fertilizer or something for roses, but I've never found it at any nurseries in my area. The simplicity pattern instructions call maybe 1/2 thick foam which is rolled up (like a yoga mat) fairly tightly and then wrapped in thin cotton batting before being stuffed into the cover. Or something like that. I'm not sure it would actually be firm enough. At some used clothing stores around here they sell tightly packed "bales" of clothes for rags. That kind of thing might be good for stuffing a firm bolster -- I saw a similar suggestion in an old book about making sporting equipment as stuffing for a heavy (punching) bag.
Eibhinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-10, 09:56 PM  
tytbody
VF Supporter

I got the buckwheat hulls off of ebay. bought a pillow and used that.

~~~Cheryl

Completed a 10 day Pilates Challenge 2019
Completed Pilates 7 day Challenge 2019

Live Life Simply -Simply Love Life
tytbody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-10, 11:21 AM  
runnermom

I haven't sewn yoga props, but I just made some yoga pants this past week that I love. I just used some old yoga pants that fit me how I like as a pattern and it worked great.
runnermom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-10, 02:32 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

thanks.

i also sew, but because of too many hobbies, including vidiotism, sewing has taken a back seat!!!

i made a copy of the eye bag instructions from a book - Handcrafted Pillows - Amazon link. i have posted about it here at VF - see last post in the thread.

the same book had instructions for sewing a neck pillow (they call it Shoulder Wrap) stuffed with raw rice granules to use as a heating pad (you warm it in the micro). a wellness store here in downtown sells the same rice bag for some riduculous price.

i got the book from the public library.

the only item i've thought of sewing that is related to vidiotism is sewing a padded seat cover with "draping" on the 4 sides for a fanny lifter. we use the fanny lifter to do computer work sometimes!!!

EDITED TO ADD: red/italicized verbage for links

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bolster, diy, eye bag, homemade, sew, yoga accessories, yoga bolster, yoga props