Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-11-09, 11:08 PM  
KathAL79

Oh, it's no secret that many factors contribute to better performance in the p.m. over a.m., including increased flexibility and a body that's running on more cylinders. Most people require a bit to adjust to morning workouts, often having to reduce intensity until they become acclimated to the schedule.

I noticed at the end they raised the issue of temperature. Actually, I find it difficult to work out, at least in terms of cardio and strength activities, in very warm temperatures, with more stress on my cardiovascular system plus a lot of sweat that can interfere with things, and usually it's much warmer in the pm than in the am (unless we're talking late at night). Increased temperature also leads to increased flexibility, hence one of the appeals of hot yoga, which can be a good thing but can also be a bad one, as it encourages you to push your edge maybe a little further than you should. One reason I'll often work out in the morning is because my workout space is not climate controlled (which also means in the winter I'm less likely to want to do yoga up there as soon as I've rolled out of bed).

I did find it interesting that the one doctor recommended avoiding morning workouts for those who exercise more sporadically, specifically if they are at higher risks for heart problems. Maybe because I'm a regular exerciser and relatively young and healthy that I've never felt a profound difference cardiovascularly between a.m. and p.m.

Note: I have had a professional relationship with a vendor of health and fitness books and media. For details please see my profile.
KathAL79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-09, 11:16 PM  
FitBoop
VF Supporter

I have found that I have the most energy in the late afternoon and early evening and I figured that it's because I have fueled my body unlike in the morning, when I would either not eat before exercising or would eat something very light (and had less energy).
FitBoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-09, 02:14 AM  
ilovemybirds

I wish I could keep exercising in the afternoons, because I always perform my workouts better then, but life is getting in the way, so I'm going to have to switch back to exercising in the morning. (sigh) At least it will get done.
ilovemybirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-09, 12:09 PM  
paideiamom
VF Supporter

For some reason, I have always "known" about the heart issue.
I can't remember where I attained that knowledge. But I do remember reading articles about the "fact" that more people die of a heart attack between certain early morning hours, like 2:00 to 6:00, but that is a vague memory.

I thought I was having heart issues (turned out to be very severe heartburn, thank goodness) and after I was told there may be an issue to when I was able to get to a cardiologist to have it all checked out, I was advised to avoid extreme exertion in the a.m.

Since I am not training for anything and can't even stick to a rotation for longer than it takes me to read it, I will continue trying to work out in the a.m. and then if that doesn't work, try to make it up in the evening.

"Moderation is remembered only after the deed is done." Mirabelle Watkinson, fabulous writer in residence.

"I am patient with stupidity but not those who are proud of it." Edith Sitwell

Words matter.

I thought I had seen it all. Then I tried on my bathing suit. (Unknown sage at craft show)
paideiamom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
article, article link