Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-05-09, 04:53 PM  
carole r.

Well, a long time ago, I used to see Richard Hittleman (yoga) and Lilias Yoga. I haven't seen anything lately except when they're trying to get pledges. Then they'll usually put on Rodney Yee and that Chi Gong guy. The Spanish PBS (VME) has a yoga program in the morning.
Old 07-06-09, 09:45 PM  
paideiamom
VF Supporter

DeeDee, my goodness, maybe that is why I didn't work out in college.
That seems like the stereotype people think about when they think exercise tapes.

Carole, Spanish PBS? Cool. We have a large Hispanic population in Atlanta. Maybe that would be a pro in the column for local PBS.
Although, for me, all yoga might as well be in Spanish because I just don't get it I can never remember the pose names in time to do them.

Thanks.

"Moderation is remembered only after the deed is done." Mirabelle Watkinson, fabulous writer in residence.

"I am patient with stupidity but not those who are proud of it." Edith Sitwell

Words matter.

I thought I had seen it all. Then I tried on my bathing suit. (Unknown sage at craft show)
paideiamom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-09, 05:59 PM  
hch
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by paideiamom View Post
Maybe more workouts and less eating would be beneficial to a state that is quickly, or should I say sluggishly, moving up on the list of fattest states.
I was going to answer the question as given until the end of the post; reading it reminded me that hard work and dedication begin at home.

Here's a handy lookup tool, then, that works by US ZIP code:

http://www.pbs.org/tvschedules/

It also links to a similar station finder.
"It doesn't happen all at once," said the Skin Horse. "You become. It takes a long time. That's why it doesn't happen often to people who break easily, or have sharp edges, or who have to be carefully kept. Generally, by the time you are Real, most of your hair has been loved off, and your eyes drop out and you get loose in the joints and very shabby. But these things don't matter at all, because once you are Real you can't be ugly, except to people who don't understand."

The Velveteen Rabbit
hch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-09, 06:30 PM  
paideiamom
VF Supporter

Thanks for the link hch.

I have looked up the PBS schedules and seen that there aren't any workout shows shown in my area. I was just wondering what other areas see on PBS so that I had some actual names to give in my e-mail.

So I have sent the e-mail and have yet to receive any reply. Giving them the benefit of the doubt, I am sure that with the 4th, people have been busy. I also don't know how/if they are affected by furloughs.

Thanks again to all for the information. It was interesting to see which areas have so many workout shows and so many PBS stations. I thought two was a lot, but I see that we are surpassed by a lot of other areas.

"Moderation is remembered only after the deed is done." Mirabelle Watkinson, fabulous writer in residence.

"I am patient with stupidity but not those who are proud of it." Edith Sitwell

Words matter.

I thought I had seen it all. Then I tried on my bathing suit. (Unknown sage at craft show)
paideiamom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-09, 06:55 PM  
carole r.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEEDEE View Post
Speaking of PBS fitness shows...I used to workout to this one when I was college. :-) All I can say now is WOW!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XuJr0jq4LYY
Wow, that was a trip down memory lane. I'd forgotten about that one. I remember those three platforms: high, medium and low. I like the fact that the low platform means "low" effort.
Old 07-11-09, 08:50 PM  
DEEDEE

Quote:
Originally Posted by carole r. View Post
Wow, that was a trip down memory lane. I'd forgotten about that one. I remember those three platforms: high, medium and low. I like the fact that the low platform means "low" effort.
You know, as dated as that show looks today, I have to give "Hooked on Aerobics" credit for helping me get interested in aerobic exercise. Which of course led to other aerobic instructors which lead to different types of exercise and which explains why I have over 400 workouts that I use almost every day.

I remember the very first exercise video I bought was a little piece of garbage called, "Low Impact Calorie Burner" with Madeline Lewis (who I really like) and a really, really thin (I mean bones showing) female model, and a cocky guy with an 'aren't I God's gift' attitude. The two other so called instructors couldn't keep the beat, one couldn't remember the routine, because I could hear Madeline feeding her the cues in the background and at one point the guy was so busy trying to look good that Madeline had to take over instruction from the back row. It was a mess! But it was my first workout and I loved it at the time. Oh did I mention that the editing was also so bad that the beat and moves would just suddenly change with no warning. LOL
DEEDEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-09, 12:16 AM  
Janga

There's only one station here broadcasting three digital channels and I think they've dropped ALL of the few exercise offerings they used to have, which was Wai Lana and Body Electric. They previously dropped Margaret Richards.

I'd love to see more workout shows added. Maybe I will tell them.
Janga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-09, 07:26 AM  
Jane P.
VF Supporter

I get two PBS stations and I think I can get all the exercise shows, Body Electric (on both channels), Wai Lana, Classical Stretch, Priscilla Patrick, & Sit and Be Fit. I don't watch any of them. I used to like Margaret's program when it was produced out of Florida. The production values were higher and she had a larger cast. I don't think she has the budget for that anymore.

Tags
pbs, peggy cappy, tv fitness programs, wai lana