Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-01-09, 11:42 AM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzar
that symptom Mayo tool is very cool! thanks for that link.

i have an upcoming appt w/my doc and i'll mention it to him again.

torn labrum - did you just leave it be, or did you need surgery?
I went to two different sports orthopedic doctors. Both looked at my MRIs. Doctor G said that I had a significant tear in the labrum and needed surgery. Doctor H gave me a much more thorough exam (range of motion, posture, walking, balancing on one foot, etc,) and said that my tear was quite small and PT might be enough. She also gave me a lift for one shoe saying that one leg was longer.

I opted for no surgery. Arthroscopic surgery of the hip is still in it's early days. Insurance won't cover it. The recovery time is quite long and the results that I have read about are mixed. A friend had the surgery and said he regretted it.

It has been almost a year since my injury and I am SO much better. I think my jumping days may be over, but I can pretty much do whatever I want now. Who knows what the future will hold?

I do recommend a second opinion, especially if surgery is suggested. Keep us posted!

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-09, 12:30 PM  
KathAL79

Geez, seems like every time I turn around I hear about someone with a torn labrum. It's the injury of the day in baseball, with a number of high (and low) profile players alike having surgery (well, surgeries).
Glad to hear you're doing better, Alta!

Note: I have had a professional relationship with a vendor of health and fitness books and media. For details please see my profile.
KathAL79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-09, 12:36 PM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathAL79
Geez, seems like every time I turn around I hear about someone with a torn labrum. It's the injury of the day in baseball, with a number of high (and low) profile players alike having surgery (well, surgeries).
Glad to hear you're doing better, Alta!
One doctor told me that many folks have them and don't even know it. It doesn't always cause pain.

POSTURE CHECK!
Old 04-01-09, 12:37 PM  
KathAL79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alta
One doctor tole me that many folks have them and don't even know it. It doesn't always cause pain.
That's a scary thought!

Note: I have had a professional relationship with a vendor of health and fitness books and media. For details please see my profile.
KathAL79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-09, 12:59 PM  
Joni O
VF Supporter

I'm very confused and frustrated. My lower back has given me problems for year and years - the pain comes and goes. I went to an orthopedist several years ago, but ended up freaking out in the MRI machine and telling them it wasn't that bad that I really needed the MRI. (At least they didn't charge me!)

So, it comes and goes. and it has come again. I had a great massage last week and the therapist told me I should work on strengthening my core and hamstrings because they would help stabilize me - rather than leaving that up to the set of muscles across my back that were causing my pain. Well, I had been getting more into Ellen Barrett and Pilates with Flex-Bands anyway, so I continued that with a vengeance (which was probably a mistake).

My problem is that everything I try that will help my back - hurts my back. I went to a personal trainer last night and she told me my muscles are fine, but my stabilization needs work. She said I really shouldn't be doing Pilates or Yoga videos without knowing exactly what's wrong with my back and exactly what I'm doing. Of course, the answer is a series of personal training sessions with her. Not that I disagree, but I really am wondering if I should try something like the Viniyoga that was recommended earlier. She had me do some work on the Pilates Reformer, again, most of which hurt my back.

So, do the Yoga DVDs mentioned in this thread basically stretch you out and strengthen your back muscles? Do they work on the supporting muscles, also? I'm afraid I'll get some DVDs and end up unknowingly doing something 'bad' for my back.

I'm a total neophyte when it comes to that stuff. Thanks!
Joni O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-09, 01:14 PM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joni O
I'm very confused and frustrated. My lower back has given me problems for year and years - the pain comes and goes. I went to an orthopedist several years ago, but ended up freaking out in the MRI machine and telling them it wasn't that bad that I really needed the MRI. (At least they didn't charge me!)

So, it comes and goes. and it has come again. I had a great massage last week and the therapist told me I should work on strengthening my core and hamstrings because they would help stabilize me - rather than leaving that up to the set of muscles across my back that were causing my pain. Well, I had been getting more into Ellen Barrett and Pilates with Flex-Bands anyway, so I continued that with a vengeance (which was probably a mistake).

My problem is that everything I try that will help my back - hurts my back. I went to a personal trainer last night and she told me my muscles are fine, but my stabilization needs work. She said I really shouldn't be doing Pilates or Yoga videos without knowing exactly what's wrong with my back and exactly what I'm doing. Of course, the answer is a series of personal training sessions with her. Not that I disagree, but I really am wondering if I should try something like the Viniyoga that was recommended earlier. She had me do some work on the Pilates Reformer, again, most of which hurt my back.

So, do the Yoga DVDs mentioned in this thread basically stretch you out and strengthen your back muscles. Do they work on the supporting muscles, also?

(((HUGS))) Joni, I'm sorry you have had to deal with this for so long.

I have claustrophobia and the doctor gives me a prescription for a sedative to take before I have a MRI. I don't understand why you weren't given that option. One ends up nodding off for most of the procedure.

An x-ray and an MRI are very useful tools to diagnose any number of problems. They can't tell you much without these tests. Depending on the diagnosis, you will often be sent for Physical Therapy. A good therapist will teach you the best stretching and strengthening exercises for your particular need. A Personal Trainer is not the best person to help you after an injury. They are better at prevention (hopefully).

Yoga is great, but can aggravate some conditions. The best course its to try and find the source of the pain. Then choose the best ways to recover safely.

Please keep us posted on your decisions.

POSTURE CHECK!
Old 04-01-09, 02:46 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
So, do the Yoga DVDs mentioned in this thread basically stretch you out and strengthen your back muscles? Do they work on the supporting muscles, also? I'm afraid I'll get some DVDs and end up unknowingly doing something 'bad' for my back.

Joni, I can't help but think that the Viniyoga DVDs would be perfect for you! Each DVD (one is for Upper Back, Neck, and Shoulders, and the other is for Lower Back, Hips, and Sacrum) has three practices which build on each other, starting with very basic stabilization and working towards greater stretching and strengthening. They definitely target supporting muscles as well. I would encourage you to read reviews both here and on amazon as well as to check out these DVDs on pranamaya.com.

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-09, 03:50 PM  
donnamp

Joni

Joni,

Just had to chime in - I feel your pain! I have had back issues on and off for years as well (since college, basically) - getting progressively worse each year. I'm seeing a chiropractor now and that is helping. But, I agree with being in the position of not knowing what to do anymore (will this help or hurt?). Is there any way you can bring your exercise DVDs to the therapist to review? I have done that with my chiropractor and I have shown him books about back pain relief/strengthening etc and it has been helpful in that I now have a better understanding of what my issues are and what works/doesn't work. For example, I should focus more on arching my back and less on "rounding" it.

Hang in there,

Donna
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-09, 04:21 PM  
Joni O
VF Supporter

Thanks! I've been thinking about making an appointment with the orthopedist again, going through the MRI (I'm sure they can point me to one of those open sided ones this time - or give me drugs or I can drink wine first ). At least that way I'd get the physical therapy paid for and have an actual therapist.

I took a look at the Viniyogi workouts at totalfitnessdvds.com. They did look very 'stretchy' versus a lot of regular yoga poses (which I hate). Also, there were some moves that I think closely resemble pilates. But - what do I know I might order them. And I do think it is a good idea to review the DVDs I'd want to do with a physical therapist if I end up going.

Aah - I knew I could count on my VF buddies for some good advice !
Joni O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-09, 04:36 PM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Quote:
Thanks! I've been thinking about making an appointment with the orthopedist again, going through the MRI (I'm sure they can point me to one of those open sided ones this time - or give me drugs or I can drink wine first ). At least that way I'd get the physical therapy paid for and have an actual therapist.
I hope you can find a facility with an open one. I've had several MRIs in the last few years and none of the hospitals had an open one.

Don't try wine, Joni. Then you might have to pee! They gave me Ativan (kind of like Valium). It works fine. You have to get a prescription from the doctor, but there isn't usually a problem. They want you to be still to get the best results.

POSTURE CHECK!

Tags
back care yoga, back pain, peggy cappy, rodney yee, yoga, yoga for back pain