Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-16-09, 09:09 PM  
RedPanda

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzar
viniyoga - how come the 2 aren't sold as a set? is amazon the only place to get this?
The DVDs are also available at Pranamaya:

http://www.pranamaya.com/kraftsow_vyt_lowback.html
Old 03-16-09, 09:26 PM  
Kimberly33

When I was having hip/back pain, I found Barbara Benaugh's Yoga For Stress Relief (the Hip/SI joint practice) really helpful.

Set the gearshift for the high gear of your soul
You've got to run like an antelope, out of control. (Phish)

Can't control the kittens!
Too many whiskers. Too many whiskers
(Sleep Talkin' Man)
Kimberly33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-09, 11:21 PM  
Karen Beckwith
VF Supporter

Quote:
is amazon the only place to get this?
I'm seeing these at lots of online stores: Total Fitness DVDs, Buy.com, BestBuy.com, Deep Discount, DVD Empire, Tower.com (very inexpensive!), etc. etc.

"Comfort zones are very often expanded by discomfort." - Mimi Solaire
Karen Beckwith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-09, 06:52 AM  
Orlita

Quote:
where do people get these? and if i may ask, how much?
They're all over (and probably of varying quality). I got mine at the Healthy Back Store. They have a website (not sure which mine was. it's about 3-4" thick).
Orlita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-09, 07:04 AM  
sundari

I'm sorry to hear of your back pain and hope you recover quickly.

I feel that these are very good workouts for back therapy at home. When done a few times a week whether you have pain or not they do help in keeping the back pain away.

Gary's "Viniyoga Therapy" both workouts lower back and upper back are excellent. I also like that they each have three workouts ranging from 23 minutes to 40 minutes. Some find him boring but these actually work and that is all that matters to me. This DVD is a must have for me.

Desiree's "Yoga To The Rescue For Back Pain" I agree with Beth this workout is choppy, the chaptering is weird and it doesn't flow like a regular class. I also hate that she included in some exercises "the right way and wrong way" she should have put that stuff in a separate section not part of the actual workout. I always forward fast through these sections. But the main thing about this workout is that the exercises are really good and effective. It is a long practice of 60 minutes if done in its entirety. But since it is chaptered its easy to just pick what you want. When I do this practice I do the whole thing since that is what works for me. While I wouldn't say this DVD is a must have. I won't get rid of it and I use it regularly. It would have been much better if there was no choppiness and if it flowed like a regular class.

Peggy's "Yoga For The Rest Of Us Back Care Basics". I saw Peggy on PBS and they showed some of the practice. So of course I was curious about another back care workout. This is a really slow and careful practice. Peggy's voice was really relaxing on the PBS show and in the workout she is also relaxing. This is a long workout if done entirely over an hour. However the DVD is chaptered very well. This DVD includes everything and is really good. I would say that it would be great for someone who is in pain and moves slowly, but if not in pain it can just be a very relaxing slow practice. You can see clips of this on Peggy's website. This DVD is a must have.

Yoga Zone's "Yoga For a Strong & Healthy Back" I don't do this DVD very often. It has two 20 minute practices: Part One includes Stretching and Warm Up, Downward Facing Dog and Sitting Postures. Part Two has Standing Postures, Sitting Postures and a Closing Meditation. I prefer Part Two. These two practices include alot of twisting postures. They are not bad practices and are very easy to add-on to any workout or time crunched lifestyle. It is not a must have back care DVD but the scenery is beautiful. And the twists will unkink you after a day at the office or being stuck in the car for a long time.

Barbara's "Yoga For Stress Relief" this DVD is great for all of its content. The "Neck, Shoulder & Back Issues" section is good and relaxing. It also has nice outdoor relaxing scenery. Barbara's voice is relaxing as well. Barbara includes some nice relaxing and stretching exercises in the "Lower Back Tension" section for 35 minutes. The "Hip Pain" section is also 35 minutes. This whole DVD is a must have since it includes so much.

Lee Holden's "Qi Gong for Low Back Pain" this workout offers a nice selection of exercises that are different than other back workouts. There is a mind body connection. Lee has a very relaxed demeanor adding to the already relaxing flow of this workout. The scenery is very nice as well. You can view clips on his website. I like that this workout is different than the rest. I also prefer Qi Gong to Tai Chi. So for me this back therapy workout adds variety as well as mental and body relaxation.

As far as where to get the workouts. Peggy's are at Amazon and at her website. Mary from Total Fitness has Gary's and Desiree's I think. Amazon also has Desiree's. The others I believe Amazon carries them.

Last edited by sundari; 04-01-09 at 03:44 PM. Reason: wanted to include Lee Holden's workout.
sundari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-09, 07:28 AM  
antbuko

Wow, Tower has them for cheap. I was going to suggest this ebay seller, from whom I've purchased other DVDs.

http://cgi.ebay.com/KRAFTSOW-VINIYOG...3286.m20.l1116
Old 03-17-09, 07:36 AM  
CarlaVeg

Quote:

are the same techniques presented in Kraftsow's book, "Yoga for Wellness"?
I have the dvds and the book and yes, the DVDs show the same technique presented in the book!

Carla
CarlaVeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-09, 07:38 AM  
CarlaVeg

Quote:
where do people get these? and if i may ask, how much?
I got mine at Matress Giant.... Mine was on sale for $1,700... I got the Deluxe,... mine was a closed out, so it was a bargain (I think the original price is over $2,00 )

Carla
CarlaVeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-09, 07:42 AM  
SharonNYC
VF Supporter

While I like Desiree Rumbaugh's general Yoga to the Rescue (don't look to it for any kind of flow though) I agree that the Yoga to the Rescue for Back Pain is a bit poorly organized and aimless.

I like the Kraftsows very much -- I think the viniyoga approach is effectively therapeutic.

The Benagh Stress Relief is great.

I have one of the Yees, don't know which one since it's a Gaiam repackage. His back pain approach in general seems to be more preventative than pain relief. I like it though. Of course I haven't done this DVD in years and don't have time to look at it for a few weeks.

I also like Lillah Schwartz Freedom from Back Pain as a learning tool -- she also has one for neck and shoulders. This is an Iyengar approach.

I went through a period of several years with episodes of severe SI pain and have worked hard with various yoga approaches to improve that situation. I haven't had an episode of severe pain for several years (knock wood) and I'm pretty sure that it's my yoga practice that has made the difference. I've really worked on my alignment and I've used some of the above material for continuing guidelines.

My most immediately healing poses are: supported bridge with my sacrum
on a wooden block (at medium level) and a stretch Jenny Otto calls american in paris (seen here: http://capitolhillyoga.com/Sciatica%201%20handout.pdf). Giving a lot of attention to general alignment also does wonders. Ball rolling (with two small balls in a sock) helps a lot too.

I don't have the Peggy Cappy but keep meaning to pick it up.
I'm what I am, and what I am,
Is back on Boogie Street.

Leonard Cohen/Sharon Robinson "Boogie Street" 10 New Songs.

(I have a professional/personal relationship with an instructor who produces video and book material relevant to this site.)
SharonNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-09, 08:02 AM  
beth22

What a great thread! I just ordered the two Viniyoga practices (for back and hips and the other for upper body). I'm really excited to try them both. Thanks for the recommendations!
beth22 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
back care yoga, back pain, peggy cappy, rodney yee, yoga, yoga for back pain