Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-05-09, 10:26 PM  
DebnPhx
VF Supporter

Can someone tell me about Ana Forrest yoga?

I downloaded the first Forrest yoga from yogadownload.com and tried it yesterday. It was a very slow, beginner workout with the standard postures other workouts have, and I guess I was expecting more, especially cause Ana seems to have her own brand. At the end I felt neither worked out nor particularly stretched out.

There is another download which is 'advanced beginner' but I'm wondering if it's even worth the money to try it if this first one seemed so lame.

Any thoughts? Thank you!
DebnPhx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-09, 09:05 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

Wow, I'm surprised to hear a Forrest practice described as "lame." Are you interested in audio downloads only? You might enjoy something by Heidi Sormaz more, she is a Forrest instructor and owner of Fresh Yoga in New Haven. I have some of her older downloads and find them challenging. If you want to try a tougher Ana on video, her Pleasure of Strength might interest you - or maybe she is just not for you.
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-09, 02:16 PM  
Loretta S.
VF Supporter

One of our fellow VFers, Chris Miyachi has gone through Forrest Teacher Training and has some audio workouts. Chris might be able to give you more information if she sees this thread. I also like Heidi Sormaz. I like Ana's 5 CD intensive series and Strength & Spirit. I've taken a live workshop from her and it was really good.

Someone just posted a thread in the bargain watch forum with a 25% discount code on Ana Forrest.
Old 01-06-09, 03:54 PM  
Lianne
VF Supporter

The one you tried would have been Chris' class. I'm surprised you found it lame - but I do think the advanced beginner one is more challenging. They are both beginner classes - so keep that in mind.

Actually - if you are newer to yoga, I might not be so surprised - the more you learn in yoga, the more you instinctively do in the poses and even the seemingly simple practices can be made challenging.
Old 01-07-09, 04:11 PM  
cmiyachi

Hi DebPhnx,

I have all Ana's alive downloads - which one were you talking about?

I personally don't like her all of her downloads. I don't think her workshops translate well to audio. There is a lot of demo'ing and down time. In one of them there is a huge track of silence as she splits the room up and turns off her mic for the second group. Heidi Sormaz's translate well to auido IMHO.

I did the advanced arm balance workshop and I loved that one - but it was a lot of me doing my own thing (or doing something twice) while she demo'ed. I think that class would translate well to video. That one was definitely not lame - it was called "Gravity Surfing" for reference.

I remember when I first tried Strength and Spirit - her more beginner DVD - and I liked it but didn't love it. It wasn't until I did her workshops and got the 5-Day CD set (which is still my all time favorite!) that I really got what her style was about.

I would strongly recommend a live class if you can get it. Her Pleasure of Strength DVD is a toughie IMO - and only an hour. You could probably get it on the swap too because it is older.

HTH,

I have a professional relationship with web sites that sell yoga downloads.
cmiyachi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-09, 07:37 PM  
junadelam

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebnPhx
I downloaded the first Forrest yoga from yogadownload.com and tried it yesterday. It was a very slow, beginner workout with the standard postures other workouts have, and I guess I was expecting more, especially cause Ana seems to have her own brand.
I really liked this practice, since much of the Forrest media available is too advanced for me. I have Chris' beginner and the advanced beginner Forrest practice from yoga download and was just thinking that I need to do them again. I just parted with my original Ana 5-day set, since I don't have the discipline to work up to it at this point in my life. I still use Ana's two DVDs every now and then.

I'm by no means an expert, but Ana does have her own style in the way she executes some poses. I think she's even invented some asanas. But she, like most other yoga instructors, draws from a repertoire of standard poses. For that reason, a beginner Forrest practice may not be wildly different from other beginning practices. The attention to alignment may depart slightly from the norm, but a rose is a rose is a rose... That said, subtle differences make a world of difference for some people.

There's no perfect fit for everyone, so this kind of yoga may not be your thing. I'm just chiming in to say that I like Ana's work...and Chris' take on Ana's style at yogadownload. I thought Chris did an excellent job of creating an accessible Forrest yoga practice with intelligent instruction and terrific music (so much yoga music a la acacia drives me nuts).
junadelam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-09, 08:34 PM  
cmiyachi

OK - I see you are talking about my classes now. Yes they are very beginner. That said - my advice is the same.

I have a professional relationship with web sites that sell yoga downloads.
cmiyachi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ana forrest, heidi sormaz