Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-26-08, 11:58 AM  
Lucky Star
VF Supporter

'Recession' retro workouts

I believe there was a thread within the past month or two in this same vein but I was unable to locate it, so pardon me if I'm repeating anything.

I have planned to begin a barre rotation in the new year but wanted to exercise today (after being 'fluffy' for the past couple of weeks .) In the huge mess presently taking up my exercise room I could only find a bunch of Firms and did Volume 1. Wow, that was a kick up the a$$! This made me think about my favorite golden oldie workouts I've held onto and how good they made me feel. All use very little equipment - light-to-medium weights - and many feature decent floorwork. I feel like delving into a retro rotation for now - goofy and cheesy is a plus, lol - to see what results I get. (Not to mention save $$ not buying anything new!) Here's my preliminary list of workouts which I thought would be fun to re-visit:
~ Firm vols 1, 2, 3 (other Classics, too but these are my faves)
~ Jane Fonda's New Workout (advanced)
~ Cindy Crawford's Next Challenge
~ Keli Roberts' step videos (with or without Cher)
~ Callanetics (the original barre workout!)

My memory is kinda shot, but there must be more worth adding..? I should mention I'm not a fan of the really old Kathy Smith videos (even I have my cheese limit). But if any produced remarkable results I'm willing to look through the very back of my shelves.
Lucky Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-08, 12:03 PM  
shirleyj62

You might want to try some of the old Gin Miller workouts (i.e., Step Workout the Video, Best of Step Reebok, etc). Another oldie I would add is Gilad from his tv series.

Beauty is what you feel about yourself not what you see in the mirror.
shirleyj62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-08, 12:06 PM  
missmomus

Original Buns Of Steel!
missmomus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-08, 12:11 PM  
juberann

Hi LuckyStar!!! Hope you had a great Christmas Keep in touch and let me know how your Barre rotation goes because I plan on doing a rotation myself the beginning of the year,so excited can't wait to see what happens when I stay consistant with it.
I discovered I still had Jane Fonda's Step Workout,found it in a box under my bed the other day, OMG, that used to be a favorite I popped it in the ol VHS player in my bedroom and it still looks like a fun workout. Oh my,the BIG hair worn my these girls (Jane wasn't even in that workout) and I remember when that was so cool,so normal,to have hair that big,workout clothes that............bright(for lack of a better description )but,really,how the HECK did we exercise with our leotard going up our butts in the back???? I actually wore those things at one time ~LOL~ Judy
juberann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-08, 12:18 PM  
Sissy B

I think I'm going to pull out Disco Sweat. It's been a while since I've done that one but I always had so much fun when I did it in the past.

~Sissy B
Sissy B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-08, 12:28 PM  
daisysunshine

Hi Judy! I hope you had a great Christmas too! LOL You wore a Leotard?! (that is the number one question of the day - how did people do that? Though for the longest while, I exercised in a swimming suit because I didn't have a cool "exercise suit" LOL

Lucky! LOL a Retro rotation sounds so fun! Why not add Shape Your Body to it as well (if you have it or not).Umm... that's as far as my retro mind goes LOL

...right now you're saying, no i can't do this. you should know by now i don't train that way - Dasha Libin

offering the two tracey mallet dance workouts, pm me.
daisysunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-08, 01:00 PM  
Jane P.
VF Supporter

I'm doing the same thing but for a different reason. I've been dealing with a foot injury and that limits what exercises I can do. I thought about Firm vols 5, 6 and the Hare and the fact that they don't have any lunges (which I can't do right now) so I got them out and did them. It had been years. Doing them again will also help me decide whether to buy them on dvd or not. I had not been planning on getting them on dvd, but now I'm not so sure. Good luck with your rotation.
Old 12-26-08, 04:36 PM  
Lucky Star
VF Supporter

Thank you for your comments and additions!

Shirley, I have a v-e-r-y old Gin Miller - from the One on One series - in which she is super young and has BIG hair, lol. Gotta find it!

Missmomus, I'd almost forgotten about Buns of Steel... mmm, squeezing out that cheeseburger and french fries! I've gotta search to see if I still have this video. (Of course part of the Recession Retro rules are only using what you have and not buying anything additional.)

Hi Judy, my Christmas was so nice and relaxing - how was yours? We're going to be barre-ing together in the new year, aren't we? I'm just taking a little journey down Memory Lane. Oh and about thong leotards: I preferred wearing the regular-bottomed ones to my outside aerobics classes... I did belt them, though, a la Jane Fonda!

Thanks, Sissy and Daisy, I can add both Richard Simmons and Cindy's Shape Your Body to the mix. The more the merrier!

Jane, I'm sorry about your foot and hope it's healing well. I don't necessarily do all the lunges & squats anyway and will substitute deadlifts and other moves. Just like I won't always do all the high impact cardio bits and sometimes modify down to suit my knees.
Lucky Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-08, 05:02 PM  
juberann

Hi everyone~ this is a fun thread!! it reminded me of another age old mystery question I had back then. WHY did we belt our leotards?? surely not to keep them from falling down~LOL~ oh well, it was the 80's,fashion made absolutely no sense back then anyway but,looking back on the belt and leotard thing we did,it really did look quite silly Judy
juberann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-08, 05:05 PM  
daisysunshine

Because Judy - the belt completed the outfit!

...right now you're saying, no i can't do this. you should know by now i don't train that way - Dasha Libin

offering the two tracey mallet dance workouts, pm me.
daisysunshine is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
retro workouts