Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-02-08, 10:41 AM  
JimmiesMojo

I'm in the same boat and I second the recommendation for Yoga for Athletes. It's my favorite! I also found Yoga for Runners, which is helping open my hips and loosen my hamstrings. I'm finding that once these are looser, I'm able to get the stretch into my back deeper!

This is your moment. Own it!
JimmiesMojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-08, 11:48 AM  
Eibhinn

My dad is really inflexible from letting himself go being afraid to exercise after having sciatica. He doesn't like exercise videos either, but completely adores Yoga for Athletes with Rodney Yee. He can only do the first section - "Opening" but sometimes attempts a little bit of the second section when he's feeling up to it, but he simply cannot do a triangle pose and usually gives up here. He has never been flexible and is a 60 year old man with chronic back pain. If he can do this section, I'm sure you can! I'd definitely give it a try. I recall rather enjoying it myself before suggesting my father try it (and never getting it back again!).
Eibhinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-08, 09:44 PM  
Joanna
VF Supporter

Jane, it is not that I am opposed to props in theory, I just have been frustrated when I have felt like the prop they had was not enough for me and I was not clear on how I could make something work. Like, if they are saying 'it's okay if you aren't flexible, just use a yoga block!' If the yoga block isn't enough, what do you do then? I guess I would rather just start with things I can do at my present level rather than trying to modify something way above me down to where I am now. Does that make sense? I guess what I was looking for was some sort of flexibility rating system, like if you put 'full downward dog' at 10 and 'downward dog with a yoga block' at maybe 5, what kinds of dvds could you be using if you were at a 1 or 2?
Joanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-08, 11:15 PM  
Karen Beckwith
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joanna
I guess what I was looking for was some sort of flexibility rating system, like if you put 'full downward dog' at 10 and 'downward dog with a yoga block' at maybe 5, what kinds of dvds could you be using if you were at a 1 or 2?

Joanna - that's why I suggested the Lilias. She does downward dog with her hands on top of a chair seat which I would consider a 1 or 2.

"Comfort zones are very often expanded by discomfort." - Mimi Solaire
Karen Beckwith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-08, 11:31 PM  
weighttrain
VF Supporter

Joanna, one thing that I have discovered is that as exercisers many of us lean towards participating in exercises that we are "good" at. I am not "good" at stretching because I have to work 10 times as hard as the person with the gift of flexibility.

The best advice that I can give you is to set aside a huge block of time after a lengthy cardiovascular workout. Treat yourself to a stretching or a yoga DVD that is do-able and be persistent.

I have learned to add extra time after my cardiovascular exercise activity (indoor cycling, turbokick) dedicated to stretching.

good luck!

Beth
Old 01-03-08, 12:18 AM  
Joanna
VF Supporter

Thanks for the feedback, you guys! I will look for the Lilias
Joanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-08, 12:43 AM  
Jane C
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joanna
Jane, it is not that I am opposed to props in theory, I just have been frustrated when I have felt like the prop they had was not enough for me and I was not clear on how I could make something work. Like, if they are saying 'it's okay if you aren't flexible, just use a yoga block!' If the yoga block isn't enough, what do you do then? I guess I would rather just start with things I can do at my present level rather than trying to modify something way above me down to where I am now. Does that make sense? I guess what I was looking for was some sort of flexibility rating system, like if you put 'full downward dog' at 10 and 'downward dog with a yoga block' at maybe 5, what kinds of dvds could you be using if you were at a 1 or 2?
Hi Joanna,

I think at some point its important to come to terms with the underlying intent/energy/purpose of the pose, and its hard to do that just using dvds.

As an example, the way I was taught, the base-line purpose of downward facing dog is making space between the vertebral discs - so the back has to be long as possible. The lower back should not be crunched in on itself. Here is a photo of two people doing DFD very well - with significant propping:
http://www.eldr.com/files/web-images/yoga1.jpg

This, on the other hand - this woman doesn't look very good to me - although she has her heels on the floor:
http://www.pureyoga.ca/photos/downdog1.jpg

Her lower back has lost its natural curve - she's sacrificed the underlying purpose of the pose in order to make a shape.

Its been a while since I've looked at Yoga for Inflexible People, but my guess is the instruction does address this issue.

My point is that once the underlying intent of the pose is understood, the question of whether to use blocks, or a chair seat, or the back of the chair, or a window sill ledge - takes care of itself You go only as low as you can while maintaining the length and natural shape of the back. You keep your knees bent if that's what is necessary to keep your back long and tractioned, etc.

Come, come, whoever you are.
Wanderer, idolator, worshipper of fire,
come even though you have broken your vows a thousand times,
Come, and come yet again.
Ours is not a caravan of despair.

Rumi

Last edited by Jane C; 01-03-08 at 12:54 AM. Reason: clarity, fixed link
Jane C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-08, 09:01 AM  
SharonNYC
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane C
This, on the other hand - this woman doesn't look very good to me - although she has her heels on the floor:
http://www.pureyoga.ca/photos/downdog1.jpg

Her lower back has lost its natural curve - she's sacrificed the underlying purpose of the pose in order to make a shape.
She's definitely sacrificed her back to get her heels down, which a lot of people think is the point of downward dog. Not pretty.

I like Lilias's use of the chair in these poses.
I'm what I am, and what I am,
Is back on Boogie Street.

Leonard Cohen/Sharon Robinson "Boogie Street" 10 New Songs.

(I have a professional/personal relationship with an instructor who produces video and book material relevant to this site.)
SharonNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-08, 09:37 AM  
spotted zebra

There have been some good suggestions in this thread, and I'm printing it out for someone I know at work who is also interested. If anyone else is looking for dvds for very inflexible people (at 1 or 2 on a scale of 10), this dvd cover shows why people also really like this instructor's style. I gave away my Lilias Folan and Peggy Cappy dvds some time ago, but when I had them I was surprised by how many friends wanted to borrow them.

http://www.amazon.com/Yoga-Rest-More...9370383&sr=1-3

Peggy wrote a book called Yoga for All of Us: A Modified Series of Traditional Poses for Any Age and Ability. Most of her students are 40 to 100 years old. Modifications for limited to very limited flexibility is what she teaches in her classes.

http://www.amazon.com/Yoga-All-Us-Mo...9430038&sr=8-7
spotted zebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-08, 10:40 AM  
bubbles76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane C
Hi Joanna,

I think at some point its important to come to terms with the underlying intent/energy/purpose of the pose, and its hard to do that just using dvds.
For those of us whose only option is DVDs, what do you suggest. as far as instructors not just explaining the WHAT of a pose but the WHY as well? I'm more flexible than Joanna I think, but I want to make sure that I'm not sacrificing the intent of the pose either.
bubbles76 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cool yoga tricks, lilias folan, peggy cappy, yoga audios