Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-29-07, 02:43 PM  
54sneakers
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helen S
Firstwavefirmie,

Wow!!! You have a nice collection. I wish I didn't throw away the old Firm catalogs. I really liked looking at them. I should have saved at least one of them.

Helen
I had a bunch of those old catalogs too, but I threw most of it away in a fit of cleaning a few years back. I still have some goodies, such as the adjustable ankle weights that say "The Firm" on them, the original step up boxes (both sizes), the "baby" Firm Barbell, the Firm towel and an old T-shirt. My favorite piece of memorabilia is the walking cassette that Susan Harris did; I don't know why I'm saving this because I don't have anything to play it on, but I can't part with it!
54sneakers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-07, 03:07 PM  
DawnP
VF Supporter

Set Designer AND/OR Director of Photography

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanny
I think Helen S is right, it was someone who helped with the sets, not the photographer, and also a personal friend...
This appeals document explains Everett Davis' lawsuit in detail: http://pacer.ca4.uscourts.gov/opinion.pdf/001359.U.pdf That appeal was still going strong in 2001 :rolleyes:

It also looks like a set designer named Carl Copeland is named in a 2005 motion to dismiss/lawsuit here: http://www.richlandonline.com/depart...j200508121.pdf

Looks like there's no scarcity of plaintiffs.
Old 03-29-07, 03:19 PM  
Helen S
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnP
This appeals document explains Everett Davis' lawsuit in detail: http://pacer.ca4.uscourts.gov/opinion.pdf/001359.U.pdf That appeal was still going strong in 2001 :rolleyes:

It also looks like a set designer named Carl Copeland is named in a 2005 motion to dismiss/lawsuit here: http://www.richlandonline.com/depart...j200508121.pdf

Looks like there's no scarcity of plaintiffs.
Thanks Dawn!! Yes, it was Carl Copeland that I was talking about. There was another Copeland listed in the Firm credits. I believe she was his wife. The Copelands were the ones that Mark regarded as friends before all these lawsuits.

Helen
Old 03-29-07, 04:16 PM  
~^~RedFlame~^~
VF Supporter

Wow, the law is a strange strange animal. I read the document, which seems CLEAR that Meridian made it clear when originally published that THEY had the copyright, and yet still those who want to ride on the coattails of others will go to any length to parasite their efforts. Years later somebody can come in and muck up the whole mess, just because they need some money, and don't have what it takes to earn it themselves. Grrrrrrr.

I just get so fed up with our litigeous nation! When somebody can sue because they spill hot coffee in their own lap, and win millions, there is just something WRONG with our system. But what's new?

Proud GRADUATE of P90X!! TWICE Class 2007&2008!!
Burn Burn BUUUUURRRRRNNNN!

One's main goal in life is to give birth to oneself.
If you are not busy being born, you are busy dying!
~^~RedFlame~^~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-07, 04:32 PM  
Fanny

Mark used to post about his ex-friend, Carl Copeland, quite a bit but never mentioned Everett Davis. Thanks for the links.
Fanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-07, 05:00 PM  
ellaenchanted

Well, if they produced new videos spliced from older ones and he had royalty credits, then he may have had a valid case. Unfortunately lots of behind-the-scenes people like techs, videographers, and musicians get competely ripped off. They provide creative input and work and should be credited and compensated for it. Of course, there's a long history of lawsuits regarding the FIRM and I'm sure the truth lies somewhere in the middle. To be honest, after reading Mark's posts, he lost all credibility IMO. He was insulting, and could not accept that he was not always right. Yes, the FIRM brought AWT to videos when workouts were scarce, but they didn't invent AWT. AWT types of training exercises had been done long before, but w/o a name. And, he couldn't accept that others in the industry had gone on to continue to make innovations and constantly denounced other instructors/programs in public forums calling them liars and saying their products sucked. Frankly, I'm not surprised the FIRM went under and had legal issues.
ellaenchanted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-07, 05:14 PM  
MichelleRN

Oh what kindred spirits - the Firm had 2 or 3 minute commercial in the 80's - there were no infomercials back in the day...I spent 49 on it too! I'll give Jane Fonda, that she made fitness accessible to kids like me (in the 80's) who couldn't afford a gym or anything - in fact, 4 of us went in on the ALBUM (not even cassette) - that's how poor we were in college...but it was susan harris and janet jones that made me "the body" of AT&T years later when I was a yuppy and belonged to a club....and the Firm changed my body....
MichelleRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-07, 05:25 PM  
lfcjasp
Exchange Moderator

Drama, drama, drama...

that's what my DD's would call this

I remember when The Firm first broke on the scene! It took forever for me to finally order that first vhs tape with Susan Harris, but once I started working out with her, I was hooked. They had no problem getting my money for the next three tapes! I did Vol. 2 so much, I broke the tape and had to have it repaired. I couldn't bear to be without it and couldn't afford a replacement. I'd alternate them with my stationary bike

I don't think I'll ever get over all the mess associated with the Bensons and Medical Mark, etc. I can't believe it's still going on!!!

The Firm changed my attitude towards working out and kept me going...they were indeed cutting edge! I still appreciate how much they taught me and inspired me.
Old 03-29-07, 06:04 PM  
pugcrazy

I think it's a shame that because of all of this legal mess, we the devoted Firm users, have to suffer along with it by not getting Benson-quality workouts as often as we should.

Mary
pugcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-07, 06:11 PM  
~^~RedFlame~^~
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pugcrazy
I think it's a shame that because of all of this legal mess, we the devoted Firm users, have to suffer along with it by not getting Benson-quality workouts as often as we should.

Mary
I think that in this day and age there are SO many good workouts, compared to 'back in the day' when she was really innovative. It IS a shame, because once they sold, it was never the same again. But I think there are plenty of AWT workouts on the market now that are as good, and effective. The Firm will always have a place in my heart, and in my collection, though!

Proud GRADUATE of P90X!! TWICE Class 2007&2008!!
Burn Burn BUUUUURRRRRNNNN!

One's main goal in life is to give birth to oneself.
If you are not busy being born, you are busy dying!
~^~RedFlame~^~ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
everything the firm, firm for life, firm history, mark henriksen