Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-04-06, 08:49 AM  
Gardengirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol_is_fit
When I do the BOSU workouts out there that have you doing step routines on it I do the step moves on the floor and the rest of the workout on the BOSU. Works for me!
Carol
Now why didn't I think of that??? I guess I might have to look into some Bosu workouts!

I like using my rebounder for Tony's PHH and Tom Holland's workout. I do all the cardio segments on my rebounder.
Gardengirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-06, 09:33 AM  
~^~RedFlame~^~
VF Supporter

I personally use my rebounder far more than my bosu, but both are good additions to any gym. The BOSU can be hard on the knees AND the ankles are in real jeapordy if you have weak ankles. It is very easy to turn your foot on the BOSU. I consider the BOSU to be more advanced in the balance sense, if your balance is iffy, you can just be tossed all over the place, and although that in itself is a workout, LOL, it can be risky for injury. The rebounder will work on your core and balance while giving you a bit more stability and platform area. You can also do pilates on the rebounder, and various Yoga poses, to increase the difficulty factor, then graduate to the BOSU later when you are very comfortable with your balance on the rebounder. I find the rebounder takes LESS room to store, unless you deflate the BOSU every time you are done. Rebounders are different though, I have had 3 and the one I currently use has legs that flatten so it just slides under something, or rests against the wall out of the way.

Proud GRADUATE of P90X!! TWICE Class 2007&2008!!
Burn Burn BUUUUURRRRRNNNN!

One's main goal in life is to give birth to oneself.
If you are not busy being born, you are busy dying!
~^~RedFlame~^~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-06, 10:18 AM  
Lexy
VF Supporter

I have rebounder-avoidance, I think, cuz my mom owned one of those mini-tramps 30 years ago. It's sumpin in my head. She would "jog" on that thing daily though. And then it stood in the corner for years until I had kids and they played on it.

I had no idea the BOSU is hard on the knees. Definitely don't need that. I could stand to improve my balance but that's challenging enough on the floor.

I'm not sure I'll get either yet. Need to think more. It sounds like the rebounder will be the way to go when I'm ready. Thanks for all the input!

Lexy
Lexy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-06, 10:54 AM  
SharonH
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~^~RedFlame~^~
I personally use my rebounder far more than my bosu, but both are good additions to any gym. The BOSU can be hard on the knees AND the ankles are in real jeapordy if you have weak ankles. It is very easy to turn your foot on the BOSU. I consider the BOSU to be more advanced in the balance sense, if your balance is iffy, you can just be tossed all over the place, and although that in itself is a workout, LOL, it can be risky for injury. The rebounder will work on your core and balance while giving you a bit more stability and platform area. .
Thank you for your comments on the BOSU. My balance is extremely bad even though I have worked on it for most of my life - maybe weak ankles - so I'm thinking, too, it might be a high-injury device for me. My knees aren't in the greatest of shape either. I'm glad to be talked out of the BOSU as I already have a rebounder. I would have had to give up a lot of my workouts if I couldn't do the high impact movements on it.
SharonH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-06, 11:08 AM  
ellaenchanted

Oh boy, now I want rebouncer! Off to eBay
ellaenchanted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-06, 12:48 PM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

One of the things I have found is that it is really helpful to see these things. After standing and bouncing a little on a rebounder for about 2 minutes, I decided I'd find it soooo boring. I don't do high impact or already modify it in workouts, so that's not a draw for me. And, I couldn't see doing freeform. The BOSU, however, really intrigued me. I had eliminated it as an option after seeing the full-size one, wishing it weren't so big. But, when I saw one of the smaller ones, I thought it would be a great option. So, if you have the option, it's a good idea.

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Something is better than nothing
The best workout is the one you will DO
Laura S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-06, 03:58 PM  
LovingLife
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharonH
For those who find a regular BOSU too high, there are now "Sports" BOSUs at 7" and 9".
I just discovered this last night myself. The smaller ones are much cheaper too ($59 and $79) -- the only thing I'm curious about is if it being smaller in diameter makes me have to have my legs too close together when stepping on it because that's also hard on my knees.

I'm hoping these start going retail so I can try one out. Here's a link for the 55 cm one (one website said it was 8 inches, another said 9) :

http://www.bosu.com/scripts/cgiip.ex...m=15850-55BSB1

-- the 45 cm one is 7 inches high:

http://www.bosu.com/scripts/cgiip.ex...m=15850-45BSB1

"I know you're tired, but jump higher!"
-- Cathe

DISCLOSURE: I had a professional relationship with Beachbody. For details, take a look at my profile or see my blog www.foodplusfitness.net .
LovingLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-06, 04:14 PM  
Gardengirl

FYI, I've ready somewhere here on VF that the small (less high) Bosu also is smaller in diameter, giving you less room for movement on the top.
Gardengirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-06, 04:32 PM  
LovingLife
VF Supporter

Yeah, the smallest is 19 inches across, the next smallest is 21 1/2 inches and the regular one is 25 inches across. I think 19 would be too narrow, yet I'd rather have a 7 inch height than a 9. But if I used it for old short box FIRM stepping instead of Cathe style, 9 would probably be fine.

"I know you're tired, but jump higher!"
-- Cathe

DISCLOSURE: I had a professional relationship with Beachbody. For details, take a look at my profile or see my blog www.foodplusfitness.net .
LovingLife is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bosu, bosu sport