Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-18-21, 07:42 PM  
bfit

OT: How bad are the Shingrix vaccine side effects?

I'm supposed to get the Shingrix vaccine this coming Friday. How bad are the side effects? How does it compare to the COVID vaccine? I've heard horrible stories from others, but I really don't want to get shingles so I need to go through with it. This is my first of the two Shingrix shots. Is the first or second worse, or are they both bad?
bfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-21, 08:14 PM  
Joni O
VF Supporter

I had no side effects from either. There was a lengthy discussion of this a while back if you can find it with a search.

ETA: Here's one thread. http://forum.videofitness.com/showth...light=shingrix
Joni O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-21, 09:52 PM  
Paine
VF Supporter

My DH and I had no side effects other than a sore arm from both Shingrix vaccines. We also had no side effects other than a sore arm from the Pfizer vaccines. However, I do know that some people had flu-like symptoms from the Shingrix and covid vaccines. I hope you have no side effects from the Shingrix vaccine!
Paine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-21, 10:07 PM  
rhbrand

A slightly sore arm, about the size of a quarter, for a day or two.
That was it for me and my hubby
Old 09-18-21, 10:26 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

I think I posted in that other thread. I had a much worst reaction to the Shingrex vaccine than the covid vaccine - after getting it mid-afternoon, I felt a bit off that night, and then I woke up early the next morning (around 5:30 a.m.) feeling extremely dizzy and nauseous. I felt chilled and flu-like for the rest of the morning, but by early afternoon, I was starting to feel better and able to eat, and by evening I felt fine. DH got the vaccine the same time as I did and felt a bit tired and off, but that was it.

ETA: That was after the 2nd dose. After the first, we were both a bit tired the next day (DH worse than me), but that was about it.

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-21, 07:41 AM  
suzysoho

For the shingles vaccination I had a sore arm for a couple of days. But no other side effects. That's generally how they all are for me. My daughter is 19 and she has had side effects to vaccinations. The chicken pox vaccine resulted in little pox and malaise for a couple days. After the COVID vaccine she felt nauseous and had flu like symptoms. This lasted a couple days as well. My husband had a sore arm with the shingles vaccine. The same with the COVID vaccine. Everyone will be different. I often wonder if there are ways to minimize the side effects from vaccinations. It's worth getting it. I have quite a few friends who contracted it and it's just awful. The pain is excruciating for many of them.
Old 09-19-21, 09:41 AM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

My arm was sore and it was red around the injection site for a few days.

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Something is better than nothing
The best workout is the one you will DO
Laura S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-21, 09:57 AM  
Usia
VF Supporter

My SiL just had her 2nd one and like Beth, she was dizzy, nauseous, feverish with flu-like symptoms for about 2-3 days. I should get one but her experience with it gives me a pause. On the other hand, she also had side effects from Covid vaccine while I had none.
Old 09-19-21, 10:41 AM  
Erica H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Usia View Post
My SiL just had her 2nd one and like Beth, she was dizzy, nauseous, feverish with flu-like symptoms for about 2-3 days. I should get one but her experience with it gives me a pause. On the other hand, she also had side effects from Covid vaccine while I had none.
I think it usually depends on the person's immune response. DH always reacts very strongly to vaccines, most of my kids have little reaction but my youngest has moderate reactions, and I usually have none or very mild.

For Shingrix, all I had was a very sore arm for both doses. DH was sick and miserable with both of his but he's glad he got it since shingles could be much worse.

Erica
Erica H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-21, 11:31 AM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Dana, sorry to hear that your SIL's experience made you nervous. If it helps, my symptoms lasted about half a day, that's it.

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
shingles, shingrix, vaccine, vaccine reactions, vaccines