Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-15-19, 05:56 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzar View Post
those who have one - do you like the ones where the legs fold in for easier storage? i was wondering if the legs have a locking clip to keep it from buckling when you're sitting on it?

....or is it moot once you have your weight on it?
Yes, that’s a good question Jeannine. The folding legs would make for easy storage but are they are stable to sit on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vantreesta View Post
Pam, I was thinking of asking my dad to make me one!
I bet he would!

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-19, 08:38 PM  
lreidgreen
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gladgirl View Post
For those of you who use a meditation bench, would you mind sharing which one you use and how you like it?

Am trying to go longer and in a chair I start to sag...
On cushions (various types) I begin to ache in my low back (scoliosis)
The bench looks like it would remove enough pressure off the low back and not hurt my legs. TIA
I sit on cushion that I put against a sofa so my back is supported.
lreidgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-19, 10:00 AM  
shawnt

When I started meditating, I bought a lot of books. One of them recommended this:

https://www.nadachair.com/product/back-up/

I was very intrigued, but ended up buying a zafu and zabuton. I use the zabuton but not the zafu, go figure. I'm still curious about the nadachair, though. It seems like it would be useful for more than just meditation.

You can also find this on Amazon -- maybe even cheaper?

"The greatest glory in living lies not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall." Nelson Mandela

"You must be the change you wish to see in the world." Mahatma Gandhi
shawnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-19, 08:35 PM  
BunnyHop

Quote:
Originally Posted by lreidgreen View Post
I sit on cushion that I put against a sofa so my back is supported.
I sit on a footstool with my back to the bed so I can use the mattress edge for support if I feel I need it.

I do meditate lying down sometimes too, but usually only with some sort of audio for guidance to minimize the chance that I doze off.

My only goal is to build my practice til it becomes a part of my daily routine. Whatever I do, just something daily.
Old 02-16-19, 10:52 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

this might be a no-no, but i meditate in savasana pose when using a guided meditation. lately i have been propping my legs up on the bed while lying down on the floor (carpeted).

i get insomnia a lot, and using meditation techniques, and sometimes alternate nostril breathing in bed, quiets my mind.

before i invest in a meditation stool, i'm going to use a pillow or try my mom's ordinary stool and tilt forward, and see if it makes a difference for me. otherwise, i will continue in savasana pose.

i recently bought a cylindrical yoga bolster, and i'm having a heck of a time finding a place to store it. it reminds me of when the kids received a huge, plush shark from their uncle as a gift - it was hard to store that thing! i finally gifted it to my nephew, and his mom was unthrilled about it!

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-19, 01:14 AM  
BunnyHop

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzar View Post
...i recently bought a cylindrical yoga bolster, and i'm having a heck of a time finding a place to store it. ...
I just keep mine on end right beside the bed. I use it just often enough that I want it handy. The rest of my fitness clutter has taken over the back porch.
Old 02-17-19, 09:35 AM  
cyana

Here's a plan that doesn't look difficult:

https://www.instructables.com/id/How...itation-Bench/

Also - if you read the comments, someone shows where they used hinges so the legs would fold under.

Here's another with folding legs:

https://www.westernchanfellowship.or...en-meditation/

There are multiple examples on line - just search how to make a meditation bench. If someone handy makes one (or gets their family member to do it for them), please post pictures!

"I've decided to grow old disgracefully." - Twigs
cyana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-19, 09:42 AM  
cyana

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnt View Post
When I started meditating, I bought a lot of books. One of them recommended this:

I was very intrigued, but ended up buying a zafu and zabuton. I use the zabuton but not the zafu, go figure. I'm still curious about the nadachair, though. It seems like it would be useful for more than just meditation.

You can also find this on Amazon -- maybe even cheaper?
Hmmm....wondering if you could play around with a long yoga strap (or a couple of straps hooked together) and a small pillow or folded towel or blanket to rig up up one of these or at least get close enough to see if this is something that might work for you.

I like the idea of the meditation bench as it is difficult for me to sit in cross-legged pose for an extended period of time. I bought a set similar to this some years back and while it is of excellent quality, I still find kneeling or lying down to be preferable to cross legged meditation. https://monasterystore.org/zafu-zabu...tain-seat-set/

"I've decided to grow old disgracefully." - Twigs
cyana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-19, 10:07 AM  
Vantreesta

Thanks for the DIY links, Cyana! I have a zafu and zabuton (one bought, one made my by mom and grandma) but I really should bring them upstairs. The basement, where my gym is, is too chilly for proper meditation!
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-19, 12:37 AM  
hypnomoon

Quote:

I bought one of these at a renne faire years ago. I quite using it after a month or so because it was too fussy for me. While my back may have been straight, it felt strained too.
hypnomoon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diy, meditation bench