Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Recipe Box
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-01-15, 07:50 PM  
sherry7899

Reviving old thread:

I made this recipe today for breakfast this week. It is delicious. I left out the butter and used skim milk. I may try almond milk next time. I used Gala apples.

I used her "double boiler" method in the crockpot. It makes cleaning up REALLY easy. You spray non stick cooking spray on the inside of a heat proof bowl that fits inside the crockpot, and put all the ingredients inside the bowl.
Then you pour water around the outside of the bowl, until it is about halfway up the side of the bowl. I was glad not to have to chisel oatmeal out of the crockpot!

http://www.theyummylife.com/Slow_Coo...nnamon_Oatmeal

Slow Cooker, Apple Cinnamon Steel-Cut Oatmeal
By Monica Servings: 7 (3/4-cup) servings
Ingredients

2 apples, peeled, cored, cut into 1/2-inch pieces (2-1/2 to 3 cups chopped)
1-1/2 cups fat-free milk (or substitute non-diary alternative like almond milk)
1-1/2 cups water
1 cup uncooked steel-cut oats
2 tablespoons brown sugar (or substitute maple syrup or other desired sweetener)
1-1/2 tablespoons butter, cut into 5-6 pieces (optional)
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1 tablespoon ground flax seed
1/4 teaspoon salt
Optional garnishes: chopped nuts, raisins, maple syrup, additional milk or butter

Directions
Coat inside of 3-1/2 quart (or larger) slow cooker with cooking spray. Add all ingredients (except optional toppings) to slow cooker. Stir, cover, and cook on low for approx. 7 hours (slow cooker times can vary). Spoon oatmeal into bowls; add optional toppings, if desired. Store leftovers in refrigerator. Freezes well.

To reheat single servings: Put 1-cup cooked oatmeal in microwave proof bowl. Add 1/3 cup fat-free milk. Microwave on high for 1 minute; stir. Continue cooking for another minute, or until hot.

Recipe can be doubled in 6-quart or larger slow cooker. Increase cooking time 1 hour.

Nutritional Info (per 3/4 cup serving): 149 calories, 3.6g fat, 27.3g carbs, 3.9g fiber, 4.9g protein; Weight Watchers PointsPlus: 4 pts

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
steel cut oats