Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-21-10, 12:22 PM  
TLB

"Homemade" Leslie Walking Cable substitute $8

I’m not sure if anyone wants this info – but I thought I would pass it along because it worked for me (kinda long … sorry). I was curious about the new “toy” that comes with the QVC workouts, but wanted a less expensive option (in case I didn't like it).

I know that some VFr's suggested using Billy Bands or Biggest Loser Total Body Bands. I researched these on Amazon and the main complaints about these bands were; they broke easily & were hard to keep on your feet. I went to TJ-Maxx to find these bands anyway, no luck. What I found instead was on clearance. I bought a Gaiam Balance Ball Resistance Kit for $8.00. I added Velcro & had a nice quality set of Leslie booster walk cables that stay on my feet.

The Gaiam Balance Ball Resistance kit has a nice set of handles (not as nice as Leslie’s) with lots of riveted holes to adjust for length. The resistance bands are medium strength & have a clip on each end. Clip one end to the handle and clip the other end to the shoe "strap" and you are good to go. One hitch….. you have to make a shoe strap. This was easy, I just added Velcro & hot glue.

The kit comes with lots of black strapping and 2 “D” clips (these are rings that are shaped like the letter D). You will need to cut off 2 sections of black strapping to wrap around your shoe and overlap – give yourself several extra inches – you can trim later. You will need to free the “D” clips from the strapping. Start with black strap pieces: attach a "D" clip to one end of each foot strap (fold strap end over the flat side of the D clip & hot glue in place). To find the proper strap length and Velcro placement - I positioned the “D” clip over my shoelaces and brought free end of the strap around my shoe & threaded it thru the “D” clip. I then hot glued the Velcro in place (underside of strap end being threaded and top side of strap near “D” clip) trim off the extra strap. I clip the resistance cables to the top of the “D” clip, and I’m off.

Notes: I’m pretty sure I have seen resistance cables with clips somewhere online (replacements) – not sure of the length. I will keep looking. These cables will be pretty short for a tall person. I am only 5’5” - I have room to adjust longer (few inches at most). Also, hot glue makes the straps kinda stiff – a sewing machine will make your straps more professional.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BALL.jpg
Views:	302
Size:	51.0 KB
ID:	2668  
TLB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-10, 12:46 PM  
Suzette
VF Supporter

Thanks! For the life of me I cannot get those Leslie cables to work. The tubing doesn't stay locked in.
Suzette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-10, 02:19 PM  
cfgcanada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzette View Post
Thanks! For the life of me I cannot get those Leslie cables to work. The tubing doesn't stay locked in.
I couldn't get the ball to hold the cable in place either - the ball would flop out on mine, so I put the cable over top of the ball to stop the ball moving around; then threaded the cable through one of the holes and tied a knot to stop it coming out. Works great!

You can buy the actual footstraps separately here, but they're $14.99 which is kind of expensive when you can get the whole PowerWalk package for $29.95 (US dollars).

http://www.fitnesslifeline.com/home.php?cat=21
Old 06-22-10, 07:45 PM  
Non-Dancer

You can get tubing with clips at FWonline:

http://www.fwonline.com/tbcomptubes.htm

They offer different lengths and different resistance levels.

Linda
Non-Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-10, 08:47 AM  
TLB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Non-Dancer View Post
You can get tubing with clips at FWonline:

http://www.fwonline.com/tbcomptubes.htm

They offer different lengths and different resistance levels.

Linda
These look perfect. Thank you so much!
TLB is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
billy bands, body gospel, cables, diy, homemade, leslie super walk kit