Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-27-10, 04:32 PM  
Jane P.
VF Supporter

I had heard the myth years ago starting with Charlene Prickett on her show although I don't think she stated that muscle burned a specific number of calories. I believed it for a long time until I came to the conclusion that it wasn't true in my case because I was gaining a lot of muscle, and should have been burning calories like mad and I wasn't.

I know we're not supposed to talk diet here, but I'd sure like a source to tell me how to figure out the right amount of calories so I could lose fat while continuing with weight training.
Jane P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-10, 05:00 PM  
Mary09(b)

The stuff I've read says if you're seriously trying to both build muscle and lose fat, you're probably better off periodizing it. Eat more than maintenance calories, heavy on protein, while you lift heavy for x weeks, then eat way below maintenance while you focus more on fat burning exercises to then lose fat for x weeks (in theory). Or something like that. I haven't read all that much lately, though.
Mary09(b) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-10, 05:10 PM  
sophie kat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane P. View Post
I had heard the myth years ago starting with Charlene Prickett on her show although I don't think she stated a specific number of calories. I believed it for a long time until I came to the conclusion that it wasn't true in my case because I was gaining a lot of muscle, and should have been burning calories like mad and I wasn't.
it wasn't true for me either. i always thought that the reason i was holding on to fat was because i didn't lift enough, so i started using heavier weights. i was gaining *some* muscle but none of my clothes were fitting any better. i wasn't losing weight even though i was only eating maintenance calories and doing cardio.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane P. View Post
I know we're not supposed to talk diet here, but I'd sure like a source to tell me how to figure out the right amount of calories so I could lose fat while continuing with weight training.
i was just wondering how i would go about finding out just how many calories I need everyday. the estimates i've read don't seem to work for me...

I my VF friends!
sophie kat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
metabolism