Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-09-10, 05:22 PM  
mtnmom

I don't know how easy this is to purchase, but how about BB's? You know, the kind for BB guns. Maybe mixed with the rock salt or rice.

Rock Salt is not a common commodity here. I guess it might be sold at the grocery store for ice cream makers, but that's about it.

I love make-it-yourself projects.
Old 04-11-10, 07:04 PM  
donnadc

Hubby just made me a set (2) of "XCO trainers" out of PVC.

I got the 1 1/4" inch pipe (2 foot piece that he cut in half for $2) plus 4 end caps (70 cents each) and I had some aquarium rock under my kitchen sink that I filled them with. They only weigh 1 lb 9 oz, cause that's all the rock I could fit in. I almost wish that I went bigger in diameter so that they could weigh more.

I printed out the exercise chart from fitterfirst.com so that I can figure out a workout. Yeah!! Thanks Barb S.
donnadc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-10, 11:34 PM  
tigger

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnadc View Post
Hubby just made me a set (2) of "XCO trainers" out of PVC.

I got the 1 1/4" inch pipe (2 foot piece that he cut in half for $2) plus 4 end caps (70 cents each) and I had some aquarium rock under my kitchen sink that I filled them with. They only weigh 1 lb 9 oz, cause that's all the rock I could fit in. I almost wish that I went bigger in diameter so that they could weigh more.

I printed out the exercise chart from fitterfirst.com so that I can figure out a workout. Yeah!! Thanks Barb S.
That is exactly how I made mine! We already had a long piece of 1 1/4 PVC pipe out in the garage, and I had four end caps too. So, I started with 18 inch pieces and I used kitty litter (which is basically TINY little rocks), and mine weigh about the same as yours. Then, I bought four more end caps and made some 12 inch ones also so I can see what I prefer (They weigh 1 lb. 1 oz. each). The long pair slides a lot (actually they both seem to). I'm going to play around with some cardio workouts with them this week, and see what else I can figure out to do with them. Total cost: <$6.80. I also bought the bubble containers which are about the same size as Pringles cans but have a lid that can screwed on tightly, but they are lightweight too and I'm not sure how they could be effective if used in place of a medicine ball. I will have to research that but I don't see using it much. I think I'll like the sticks though and can see how they could work the arms in a different way.
tigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-10, 03:00 PM  
horsemom2

Remember, it isn't how heavy that counts as much in these filled tubes as the action used to make the slider flow. Putting in alittle less filler may actually improve the flow action even if lighter.
If you can find yourself a large plastic bottle, it may make a medball substitute with sliding action.

Barb S
who was able to go up to between 2 and 3 lbs with good action in a Lays Stax can using rocksalt and pennies but found a plastic bottle (cannot even remember what its original contents were LOL) that was even roomier so can go even heavier ... maybe 5 lbs or more

ETA: If you do not know how to best use these sliding filler weights, try a Fitstix workout! Mary is expecting them literally anyday (4/16)
horsemom2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-10, 10:59 AM  
DejaDeb

I went for a walk this week carrying a bottle of water. The sloshing back and forth motion reminded me of the new FitStix I'd just purchased, only obviously a much more "fluid" motion! I don't know about the weight, but it did make me wonder if something like that would work (i.e., a half-filled skinny water bottle.)

Tags
diy, fitstix, pvc pipe, shake weight