Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-11-23, 09:46 AM  
donnamp

This is a really great idea - making lasting changes is not like flipping a switch. And if we expect to go to bed on December 31st and wake up as a new person on January 1st, the December 31st person will be back before the end of January. I think expecting to make a lasting change overnight also makes us more prone to giving up if we "mess up" once.

Doing small attainable steps is the best way.

I set out to eat a salad a day in January - I want to get more leafy greens in. It is Jan 11th and I missed one day. I may miss more days, but I'll stick to it.

I am trying one thing a month that is fitness/health related. I'm hoping that come February the salad a day thing will be ingrained and I can add something new in February.

For personal stuff i'm working on finding ways to be more productive and less distracted, particularly when it comes to work. I tend to resist schedules and plans b/c they feel stifling, but I think some scheduling and planning will result in more freedom. Like no more working late at night b/c I got pulled off task too often during the day, etc.

For now, I'm trying time blocks for important tasks.

Donna
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-23, 10:08 AM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Donna, i like what you wrote.

reading other people's posts makes me feel less alone in my deficiencies!

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-23, 10:47 AM  
BunnyHop

I can really relate to all of this! Thanks for asking such a great question!

In recent years I've been using the bullet journal methods (and others, folded in) simply to track what I do. For me, that's mostly about writing what I do each day, with an eye to being able to later review and track patterns. It's been hugely helpful, and one of the main things I've found useful is to tie habits together so they make a sequence.

For example, in recent years I had been struggling to meditate, even though I know it's good for me AND I find it generally enjoyable.

Not long ago I began working with the Crappy Childhood Fairy's Daily Practice, a routine that consists of twice daily a) writing out any fears and resentments (I fear ..., I resent ___ because I have fear ..., etc.) then twice daily b) 20 minutes of very simple meditation, with a very basic mantra (single words like: this, release, easy).

Much to my delight, I've found that I am able to sustain this set of habits quite easily, and I've found it a helpful addition to my days. There has been a noticeable improvement in my quality of life, which is just the sort of longer term benefit I'm striving for.

In terms of fitness I've reached out to a local fitness teacher, and we're going to work together to help me create some lasting improvements in my physical fitness. For the last few years (since my hysterectomy) I've struggled to regain strength, so it seems to me it's time to try a small new step down a different road. So far, so good. Baby steps, right?
Old 01-11-23, 11:02 AM  
Jane P.
VF Supporter

I really need to get in some more cardio. I was doing Hiit cardio along with weight lifting and it was too much. I much prefer weight lifting, so I was working hard at it. Not much energy left for hard cardio. So my small goal is to do at least 15 minutes of cardio 3 times a week along with Pilates on other days. 5 days a week will also be fine. If I only get in 3 that's fine too. I do like challenging workouts, but sometimes I have to respect my limitations.
Old 01-11-23, 01:08 PM  
juliel
VF Supporter

I love this. I don’t like big lofty resolutions. I just wrote these down last night ( my micro changes):
- one to two restorative workouts a week (starting w Lee Holden)
-2 coffees a day max
-1 more glass of water a day
-only one bar of dark chocolate a week ( any thoughts on recent lead findings?!)
-more consistent sleep schedule
-reach out to friends more

"One cat just leads to another." - Ernest Hemingway
juliel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-23, 01:25 PM  
Vantreesta

I was listening to a podcast the other day with James Clear (author of Atomic Habits) and he was saying the same, start small. If you want to start going to the gym to work out then start with just literally going to the gym. If you get in your car, drive there, sit in the parking lot a minute and leave, you are still laying the foundation for being a person who works out at the gym.

Last night I did day 1 of Adriene's current yoga challenge. The practice was titled Show Up. She said if you want to just sit on your mat and breathe during this entire practice that's okay. You still showed up for yourself.
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-23, 01:33 PM  
laurajhawk

I want to lose 15 pounds, but my dietary resolution is to not eat fried potatoes (chips, fries, whatever) and not drink soda. Those are creeping bad habits for me, and it's helping me to make conscious choices.

My yoga teacher Kim has a FIVE-minutes-a-day yoga challenge that I'm doing (although I do a lot of yoga anyway) - I'm using it mostly as a warm-up for Caroline Girvan's Iron Series. It's a nice way to get just a little yoga into your life! It costs $5 for the 30 days and you can start anytime: https://kimberleasmarr.namastream.com/buy/product/56123

"Don't say 'I can't' ... say 'I presently suck at this thing.'" - Matt Meese, BYU Divine Comedy
laurajhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-23, 02:32 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

i got to bed by 10:30 last night. my FitBit pings me at 9 PM saying "you should be in bed now" or "time to get ready for bed" or something of that nature! you can change the settings - i entered 9 PM so that i could be ready at 10 PM. it's a mental thing.

i'm going to just write it down in a notebook to just track myself.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-23, 05:09 PM  
Venus

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinaT View Post
Anyone else making small goals and commitments for themselves this year?
I am doing a daily 1 mile walk and 30 squats, 30 push-ups, and 30 Supermans. I've been doing Jessica Smith's 1 mile Walk and Talks, except this past Sunday when I did a Moving Mango walk. I may continue doing a different instructor on Sunday since those are my "rest" days (I only do yoga/yin yoga on Sundays). For the exercises, I do 3 sets of 10 reps and usually a different variation for each set.

It's been a nice addition and enjoyable so far, and simple enough to keep up. I do these after waking up or in the afternoon (I work out in the evening) to add a bit more movement in my day.
Venus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-23, 08:43 AM  
donnamp

Jessica Smith's latest 1 mile walk & talk addresses this very subject!

This a great thread.

Donna
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
goals, habits, new year goals, resolutions, small goals