Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-25-04, 09:02 AM  
meggie
VF Supporter

Jane, I like your theory. I've been reading one of Bikram's books recently, though, and he actually thinks the opposite -- that American/Western teachers need to be tougher than the Indian ones, because we Westerners tend to take "yoga" so lightly....! (That explains a lot about why Bikram studios are the way they are, no?)
Old 05-25-04, 09:15 AM  
Aline

Aline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-04, 10:56 AM  
tiffanywu
VF Supporter

Aline - I know you had mentioned Kofi Busia somewhere, sometime. I'm thinking of heading back to my college town (Northampton, MA) for a weekend workshop with him in July. What are your thoughts on his style and what he brings to bear in a class?
tiffanywu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-04, 12:34 PM  
Aline

Tiffany - Kofi's workshop was one of my very first yoga experiences and the first Iyengar one and that was more than fifteen years ago. I'm sure he's changed lots since and so have I. He did make me fall in love with Iyengar yoga and for that I'm grateful. I think most of what he taught was way over my head at the time, but he presented it in a way that made me desperately curious to continue on so as to find out more. I wish I could give more specifics but I can't remember much except that it was all good. Definitely go if you can!

Lianne might have something to say since she's seen him quite recently (I think)... yoo-hoo! Lianne are you out there?
Old 05-25-04, 01:09 PM  
Loretta S.
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiffanywu
Aline - I know you had mentioned Kofi Busia somewhere, sometime. I'm thinking of heading back to my college town (Northampton, MA) for a weekend workshop with him in July. What are your thoughts on his style and what he brings to bear in a class?
I loved Kofi Busia. In the workshop I was in with him he talked a lot about taking what you learn in your practice off the mat with you. I really liked a lot of what he said before the yoga part too. I'd love to take a whole weekend workshop with him.
Old 05-25-04, 01:41 PM  
tiffanywu
VF Supporter

Nifty, two thumbs up from the owners of different thumbs! I hope Lianne chips in... Of course, this is just another excuse for me to spend a fun weekend with my old profs and try to be a hippie in a college town. Anyone wanna join me? It's being held at the Karuna Center on Main St., Northampton, MA.
tiffanywu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-04, 01:56 PM  
Aline

Ack -

Loretta I was trying to remember who had gone to see Kofi recently and for some reason I thought it had been Lianne but it was you... sorry!
Old 05-25-04, 02:34 PM  
Loretta S.
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiffanywu
Anyone wanna join me? It's being held at the Karuna Center on Main St., Northampton, MA.
I only wish! No big Aline, we've got so many workshop goers here, it's hard to keep straight who went to what. I think Lianne's been to a couple of Kofi Busia workshops, at least.
Old 05-25-04, 10:39 PM  
meggie
VF Supporter

Oh, man, Karuna is *gorgeous* -- really high-ceilinged, with a little "stage" with various props on it and gilt molding oround the ceiling. It's right above Fitzwilly's, Tiffany, on Main St. They do great Iyengar classes on a regular basis; I've taken Danielle* there.

Let me know what weekend you'll be going to the workshop -- I'll try to make it. I'm starting my residency in Emergency Med on June 21 but maybe the gods will smile on me and give me that weekend off?
Old 06-08-04, 01:09 PM  
SharonNYC
VF Supporter

John Friend's Mystical Merry Band Tour, June 6-7.

I'm reviving Jane C's workshop thread -- makes sense to keep the workshop reports together:

John Friend's Merry Band Tour has been going all over the country (and will hit Canada soon). Friend developed Anusara yoga (www.anusara.com) after he was certified by B.K.S. Iyengar to teach in that discipline. I've been taking Anusara classes for almost a year now and so I wanted to get a look at the big dude from Texas. did the John Friend Merry Band Tour workshop June 6 and 7. Each day had two 2-hour sessions separated by 4 hours in a very spacious, bright and elegant first floor space in Chelsea, easily accommodated the over 200 participants.

Both days we worked on standing poses and backbends in the morning and hip openers in the evening continually developing our understanding of the Anusara principles, concentrating most of the inner and outer spirals. Most poses were held a long time so we could better contemplate our spirals. He makes it pretty clear how you contact the inner spiral by sticking out your butt and then the outer spiral arrives as you engage your tail. Musicians accompanied 3 of the practices and we drummed up into backbends just like LisaTV reported in her own Friend experience. The afternoon sessions ended in kirtan singing which was great fun. The musicians were excellent and included Steve Gorn of Drala and Living Arts fame.

Friend, miked, moved freely about the room and suddenly he would pounce and you’d hear your name echoing through the hall – we had name labels attached to our mats. He's very articulate and good with an audience and he’s funny, which helped everyone feel at ease. 10-15 local Anusara teachers assisted including Elena Brower and one of my teachers Jackie Prete so individual attention and adjustment abounded. The first session started with an in-unison sun salutation by the assistants. Very cute.

Overall the workshop was perhaps a tiny bit lower than my skill level – of course I’m nowhere near ready for the advanced classes -- so call me in-between. Maybe next year.

The atmosphere was relaxed and friendly and the partner work was surprisingly fun. Nice moment to remember: in we did supta padangusthasana (reclining leg stretches) -- when the foot was brought down to the side we were instructed to catch our neighbors foot: over 200 people lying on the floor linked foot to hand.

Of course Stupid Sharon managed to hurt her SI joint in vasithasana toward the end of the first session, second day and so wasn’t able to put her all into the backbends -- in spite of an Elena Brower adjustment and massage. Don’t you just hate that? Except for the assisted dropbacks though the assisted backbends are all things we do regularly in class so I didn’t feel too bad. And whatever was done in the adjustments allowed to do just fine in the afternoon class...until the tabla player asked me to turn the amp (at the very end) and I forgot the principles, went our of alignment and my back went back into spasm. Where are those spirals when you need the most???

In brief: I am not willing all my worldy goods and my cat to John Friend. I am saved, once again, from developing an adoring attachment to an authority figure. He's a nice guy and his instruction is very very good . So yes, I learned a lot and it was worth the $$$. And it was a lot of fun to do yoga with live music. If he comes again next year I’ll probably go again – only to those advanced sessions (we’ll see).

Attached is a photo The Squeeze took of my in full yoga dork regalia -- tour tank top and all.
I'm what I am, and what I am,
Is back on Boogie Street.

Leonard Cohen/Sharon Robinson "Boogie Street" 10 New Songs.

(I have a professional/personal relationship with an instructor who produces video and book material relevant to this site.)

Last edited by SharonNYC; 02-19-10 at 06:10 AM. Reason: grammar
SharonNYC is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
christine felstead, eye bag, legs up the wall, old thread alert, proprioception, yoga audios, yoga workshop reporter, yoga workshops