Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-01-22, 08:08 AM  
donnamp

Hi!

I didn't get an outdoor walk in yesterday due to the icky weather, but I did do Ellen's Pilates Strong in the evening for some extra movement.

Today, so far:

Jessica Valent - Cardio Kickboxing Workout - this is the first time I tried one of Jessica's "cardio" workouts and it wasn't bad! It did give me a little bit of a cardio effect while working some body weight strength and balance.

Jessica Valent- Pilates for Posture - this was the workout she has scheduled for tomorrow, but it worked well as an add on today.

Carol - yes, there is a lot of flu and also RSV going around. I am feeling ok though so that is good. I am going to see about getting my COVID booster, I have a dr's appointment on Monday - I doubt they have the booster there, but if they do, I think I'll get it if they offer it. If not, I think I'll get it the week between Xmas and New Year's when things are quiet at work.

Hope everyone has a good day!

Donna
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-22, 09:36 PM  
txhsmom
VF Supporter

Today's workouts were a mix -

Improved Health - Energetic Low Impact Walk for Beginners - 20 minutes & Build Strength - Day 5 - 15 minutes;

Jessica Valant Pilates - 10 Minute Workouts for Stronger Hips

I'm really enjoying Jules' workouts and especially enjoying her strength series!

Jessica's calendar looks good for December, so I think I will keep on mixing these two. It was super windy today (and predicted to be even more windy tomorrow), so no walking outside.

Donna - I have done a few of Jessica's cardio workouts and they aren't bad. I haven't done the kickboxing one though.

Carol
txhsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-22, 09:02 AM  
donnamp

Hi!

Yesterday I did get a dog walk in at "lunch" and then I did Ellen's Focused Flow after work. This is one of her new ones - just 20 min. I guess I am doing her challenge after all! Her short workouts make good evening add ons. It kind of helps close the work day and is healthier than my pre-pandemic long driving commute. I hope we don't go back to the office ever....but I can see the possibility of a few days a week. UGH.

Anyway...

Today was:

Ellen - Barre Cardio
Jessica Valent - 20 Min Full Body Pilates for Travel. I was going to do her Gentle Pilates workout which is scheduled for tomorrow - but I didn't have time for 30 minutes. This one was 20 min so worked out better!

I listened to her December podcast and I really enjoyed it - she talks about how our bodies change and how they are supposed to change over our lives. I feel that, particularly, as women, we are "told" that we should strive to keep our youthful bodies - and as a result we are always chasing an unattainable goal. I don't know if men feel this kind of pressure - but I know it is ingrained in women that aging, or gaining weight, or simply just having a different body at age 40 or 50 or 60 is a bad thing. Anyway, it was an interesting perspective. Particularly since post pandemic my body has changed. I was underweight from stress going into the pandemic, but I have since gained at least 10 lbs and I am in no way overweight but the way my body has gained weight at 55 is different than they way it gained weight at 25. And, I'm kinda good with it - you know, I don't want to torture myself with diet or exercise to pursue an ideal that may not be realistic or attainable. Things just change with your body over time and change is inevitable. I really enjoyed hearing that message!

Anyway..I digress!

Carol - I like the looks of Jessica's calendar for December, too. I think I will follow it for the most part and do some add ins here and there.

Hope everyone has a good Friday!!

Donna
Old 12-02-22, 08:34 PM  
txhsmom
VF Supporter

No workout (yet) for me today. I don't know if I'll do something before bed or not. It was a busy day - our Irish Terrier ran into a brick pillar on our porch, running full steam chasing her ball. We were afraid she might have a concussion, but she didn't.

Tons of wind today. Hopefully not so much wind, but cooler tomorrow.

We are watching football tonight while the dogs are crashed.

Donna, I need to listen to Jessica's podcast. The ones I have listened to in the past have been good. Did you see that she has posted her Healthy Back calendar?

Carol
Old 12-03-22, 02:17 PM  
donnamp

Hi!

Today's workout was:

Jessica Valent - Contemporary Meets Classical Pilates Workout

This one was on the more advanced side. I did modify some things and there were other things in this workout (roll overs!) that are just not happening for me. I skipped those and did my own thing. With my modifications this one worked for me.

Short dog walk

My DD had a horse show today so my workout time was short and now I'm pretty tired - and I didn't even ride the horse, LOL!

Carol - I hope your dog is ok! that sounds like something my Golden would do. Even at age 10 she has a ton of energy. I think that is a good thing.

Hope everyone has a nice day!

Donna
Old 12-03-22, 07:54 PM  
txhsmom
VF Supporter

Today's workout was

Jessica Valant Pilates - Gentle Pilates Workout - 30 minutes

A very do-able workout for me. Short bits were challenging in some ways, but overall it was not hard.

Donna - The dog is fine. I'm thinking either her head is very hard or she didn't hit it as hard my DS thought she did. Right now she is sleeping on the big chair with DS while we watch football. Her sister is curled up on the couch with me.

Carol
Old 12-04-22, 09:53 AM  
donnamp

Hi,

I don't know what came over me, but this morning, I was really nostalgic for Pahla B. So, I decided to give one a try for old time's sake. It went well but I'm remaining cautious - since I have a strong suspicion that there is something in her workouts that aggravates the heck out of my back/hip. And, I can't figure out what it is b/c some of the exercises she does are done in other workouts that I do like Lively Ladies, Burpee Girl, Lucy Wyndham Read, etc. It is a mystery. And, it is a shame b/c I generally like working out w/ Pahla - the workouts are simple and I enjoy her message.

Anyway, today was:

Pahla B - 5 Pounds Down (this was her 2022 playlist - where she did 5 workouts every 4 weeks in 2022) - Day # 1 - Fast Walk to Kickstart Weight Loss. This was a typical Pahla B walking workout w/ walking in between body weight cardio exercises.

Then, I did a yoga session w/ Adriene - another instructor that I used frequently in the past and migrated away from. In the case of Adriene, it wasn't injury - but something about her just started to bug me. I think her vibe changed from a more carefree and friendly instruction style to a more serious style. In addition, Adriene is not super great at showing or mentioning modifications - but I know enough at this point to do my own.

Anyway, I did:

Yoga w/ Adriene - Fill Your Cup - this started out on the floor and ended up standing. It was a nice practice, 20 min.

Carol - I'm glad your doggie is ok!

Hope everyone has a good day!

I'm not sure what else I will do today - gotta catch up on housework, chores and all that good stuff.

Donna
Old 12-04-22, 08:52 PM  
txhsmom
VF Supporter

Sunday's workouts were

Silver & Fit - Favorites: Intermediate Strength with Penny 11/17/22 - 30 minutes;

Jessica Valant Pilates - Pilates for Posture - 20 minutes

Penny's workout was structured as follows: 4 exercises for upper body, 4 exercises for lower body, repeat both circuits with slightly modified exercises, and then 2 circuits of standing ab work 4 exercises each. It was a nice change.

I'll probably be sore tomorrow, both from the workouts and from the grocery carryout guy ramming me in the low back with the shopping cart. A car started to back out and I stopped but the grocery boy didn't. Oops!

Donna - that's funny! Lately I've been thinking about Pahla B's workouts too. Maybe you can do them occasionally?

Carol
Old 12-05-22, 08:21 AM  
donnamp

Hi!

Yesterday I did manage a dog walk - it was nice out and my dog is so used to going now she comes to get me when it is time - which is a good thing overall as I would sometimes be tempted to skip it.

Also, no ill effects from Pahla B so far - but that isn't surprising, I would usually notice some tweaks after several consecutive days of doing her workouts. I guess if want to reintroduce them I have to either figure out the move(s) that bug(s) me and do substitute moves or find the ideal schedule for doing them. I'm sort of hesitant to rock the boat as much as I enjoyed her workouts in the past, 2022 was a good year for me in terms of not having pain, and i don't want to trigger anything.

Today, so far:

Lauren/Senior Shape - Christmas Dance & Walk - this was her holiday workout from last year, it was about 20 min, the bulk of it is light cardio dance and the last portion is some weight training for just a few minutes. I did this one mainly to warm-up and wake up, plus it is the time of year to do holiday themed workouts.

Jessica Valent - 10 Min Leg Workout w/ Weights - this was a basic lower body workout - squats (3 sets, I believe) lunges (2 sets) and a deadlift series.

Jessica Valent - Knee friendly Pilates workout - this was a nice one, a good mix of exercises.

I have a dr's appointment this afternoon w/ my PCP. Hopefully it will be quick and painless and I can get my dog walk in, too.

Carol - ouch on the grocery cart incident. Geez!

Hope everyone has a good day.

Donna
Old 12-06-22, 07:20 AM  
txhsmom
VF Supporter

Monday's workouts were

Jessica Valant Pilates - 10 Minute Walking Workout, 10 Minute Leg Workout with Weights, Knee Friendly Pilates Workout - 15 minutes

I don't believe I had done any of these workouts before. The Walking Workout served as a good warmup for the weights workout. I think I used my 7 lb-ers for the weight workout.

Not too horribly sore in my back yesterday, but I did notice it when I got up this morning. I will probably add Jessica's 5 day series on to the regularly scheduled calendar workouts this week.

I spent the evening making a rum cake for work, using a new recipe - and that was a total waste of my time. Making it from scratch was not nearly as tasty as when it is made using a cake mix. I think I would rather throw it away than take it.

Donna - funny about your dog! Ours are the same way about bedtime. Hope your PCP appointment went well.

Carol