Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Old 02-20-24, 02:54 PM  
Vantreesta

Arm band heart rate monitor

Does anyone use an arm band heart rate monitor? I am wondering about the accuracy and reliability of them compared to chest straps and wrist monitors.

I have used a Polar HRM for many years now. Sometimes the HR10 chest strap causes irritation from chafing on my sternum. Usually it clears up quickly but this time it is lasting longer, so I have not been using my Polar for over a week. Instead (bc I'm a numbers junkie) I've been recording my workouts on my Fitbit Charge 4 and am not happy with the accuracy. It isn't as bad on cardio as it is on yoga, but it routinely gives a higher heart rate and calorie burn than my Polar. (I also use a Garmin for outdoor runs and hikes and have compared with my Polar by wearing both a few times, and these produce very similar stats.)

So I'm wondering if the arm band ones are more accurate than the wrist ones. Just a quick search has turned up the Polar Verity Sense and the Scosche Rhythm R+2.0. One thing I noticed is it doesn't seem like these connect to a watch, and I really like seeing my real-time numbers as I'm working out. I will keep looking to see what others are out there but thought I would go ahead and ask if anyone has any experience with them.

I know that calorie burn numbers may not be as accurate with a home HRM as in a lab with fancy gadgets, but I use the heart rate info more. If it tests similar to my Polar and Garmin I would be happy with it.

Thanks for any thoughts or insights!

(As a side note, I have read that people have used tape or BodyGlide to help with chest strap chafing, but I didn't know if this would hurt the sensor or skew the readings. I don't want to ruin my strap!)
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Old 02-20-24, 06:02 PM  
donnadc

Not an arm hrm, but I've compared my Fitbit charge 6 to my polar chest strap hrm and it matches very close. I was amazed at how close.

Fitbit. Ave hr 114, max hr 130, 93 calories burned
Polar ave hr 118, max hr 130, 110 calories burned

That was for a 17 minute step aerobics workout

Good luck!
Old 02-20-24, 07:26 PM  
Vantreesta

Thanks, Donna! My dad just got a Charge 6 and it looks good!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Old 02-23-24, 11:28 AM  
donnadc

Maybe you could borrow his and try your own comparison. I hate recommending something then someone hates it .
Old 02-24-24, 12:39 AM  
Vantreesta

Well, he's in AZ and I'm in MN so not really an option till he visits this summer!

Tags
arm band hrm, chest strap, heart rate monitor, heart rate monitors, hrm