Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

View Poll Results: How many VF check-ins do you belong to?
None 39 50.00%
1 26 33.33%
2 9 11.54%
3+ 4 5.13%
Voters: 78. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-01-21, 07:44 PM  
hch
VF Supporter

I voted for "None" because I'm not a member of any continuous check-ins.

I do start the daily "Workouts" threads, if you want to call them a check-in (at least someone can use them like one), but I see myself as a facilitator instead of a "member" as such--I don't otherwise use the threads for their intended purpose. (Even if I were good for nothing else on VF, I can start daily threads that don't require much thought about what to say. )

This thread made me realize how much I like the typical direction of a limited-term check-in. I'm happy to say, then, that this thread and others did inspire me to begin our "midyear" VF sadhana sooner than I otherwise probably would've. Even before the latest posts in the "new year's" thread about possibly starting one around now, I'd been thinking about doing just that, but I would've felt less quiet excitement about starting it without this thread and 20 Days with 20 Instructors, a current example of such a check-in.
"It doesn't happen all at once," said the Skin Horse. "You become. It takes a long time. That's why it doesn't happen often to people who break easily, or have sharp edges, or who have to be carefully kept. Generally, by the time you are Real, most of your hair has been loved off, and your eyes drop out and you get loose in the joints and very shabby. But these things don't matter at all, because once you are Real you can't be ugly, except to people who don't understand."

The Velveteen Rabbit
hch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-21, 11:31 AM  
hch
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonana View Post
I think any group is easy to join, even if you do different workouts. Most groups are small and welcome new members. You don’t have to post every day, or refer to everyone’s post. Some people just post workouts, some chat too. Some post every day, some don’t. Check ins seem very easy going and welcoming to me.
The general introduction to the check-ins from 2001 does say this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WWWendy View Post
Checkins must be open to all interested parties.
Even if that post didn't say so, I'd still really prefer check-ins with as few barriers are possible. Prospective members sometimes ask "can I join you?"--but even if such language is just "politeness," other people can read it as implying some sort of approval process with a serious possibility of rejection.

I also don't want anyone to apologize for apologizing, but if no one posted things like "sorry to be MIA" or "sorry for not posting yesterday," the idea of Mandatory Frequent Posts would at least be weaker.
"It doesn't happen all at once," said the Skin Horse. "You become. It takes a long time. That's why it doesn't happen often to people who break easily, or have sharp edges, or who have to be carefully kept. Generally, by the time you are Real, most of your hair has been loved off, and your eyes drop out and you get loose in the joints and very shabby. But these things don't matter at all, because once you are Real you can't be ugly, except to people who don't understand."

The Velveteen Rabbit
hch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-21, 11:47 AM  
fanofladyvols

I don't think any modifications of how folks post using generally accepted courteous phrases is necessary.

Any potential check-in person can observe the reaction to those phrases you noted and see that the response is accepting.

If a person chooses to not continue in a check-in it can be for a whole host of personal reasons, and not anything to do with welcoming or any perceived barrier. The check-ins do have stated themes but many stay without regard to that theme.

I have begun check-ins and not continued simply for lack of time. Literally, loved the party but just couldn't keep attending.

Never give up on your body!-- Miranda Esmonde-White

Word/Guiding Principle for 2024: Embrace: embrace my faith, my family, my friends, myself, the process, the progress, the hard work, the strength program I choose, the recovery methods and rest I need, my life, the good times, and the memories of good people.
fanofladyvols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-21, 03:52 PM  
cataddict
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hch View Post
The general introduction to the check-ins from 2001 does say this:

Even if that post didn't say so, I'd still really prefer check-ins with as few barriers are possible. Prospective members sometimes ask "can I join you?"--but even if such language is just "politeness," other people can read it as implying some sort of approval process with a serious possibility of rejection.

I also don't want anyone to apologize for apologizing, but if no one posted things like "sorry to be MIA" or "sorry for not posting yesterday," the idea of Mandatory Frequent Posts would at least be weaker.
The bolded paragraph doesn't quite sit with me right. I think your interpretation of "sorry to be MIA" isn't the only interpretation of what is meant and may not be the most common. I know that now that I've been a member of a checkin for quite some time, I have become attached to the other members, and worry when someone hasn't posted for awhile either on the check in or elsewhere on the forum (the last part is critical---some folks may be posting on GD in which case I know all is okay). I have been known to PM a member as a "welfare check" to make sure all is well. It is not intended to mean that posting in the check in is "mandatory," but is rather an expression of concern.

I think what I am saying that IMHO it is unfair to say politeness or "sorry to be MIA" comments are in any way a barrier to joining in posting in a check in. I also believe that it isn't right to instruct people as to how they "should" communicate in a check in so that your particular definition of a "barrier free" standard is met. That instruction in itself is presenting barriers to potential members---i.e. what am I "allowed" to say to introduce myself?

JMHO! It's an interesting topic.

Watula, Cheeto, Charli, Lux, Merlin, Rudy, Finley the Cat, Hobbes, Winston, and Finley the Dog Fan Girl!

Word of 2024: Patience
cataddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-21, 09:48 AM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Well, now I belong to 3 check-ins!

Life is full of surprises.

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-21, 10:31 AM  
cataddict
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage VFer View Post
Well, now I belong to 3 check-ins!

Life is full of surprises.
That it is. And you managed to pass our Super Duper Fierce Watulan Exclusive Entrance Exam to hurdle over all the extensive barriers to joining!!

I also found it surprising how much I have enjoyed our check in! I'm not a very skilled "joiner" in my real life.

Watula, Cheeto, Charli, Lux, Merlin, Rudy, Finley the Cat, Hobbes, Winston, and Finley the Dog Fan Girl!

Word of 2024: Patience
cataddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-21, 09:44 PM  
Pam61
VF Supporter

I've now done the July 20 different workouts/instructors check-in and loved the challenge of that one. It was also fun to revisit old, old workouts that I hadn't seen in many years! My focus was yoga workouts which made it doubly difficult, but it was a blast to see what everyone else was doing daily, too! Such a great idea by Karla!

And, I've since been in the Summer Sadhana check-in. I don't know how some of you post in more than one or two check-ins. I won't always have the time to do that regularly when life gets busy.

Current Rotation:
Dean Pohlman (Man Flow Yoga) 90 Days to Flexible Phase 3 (Intermediate)
Cathe Strength Training (ICE & LITE series)
Pam61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-21, 08:25 AM  
SherBear

I never went into the Check In thread until I participated in 20 instructors in 20 days. GD was my bookmark go-to.

I thoroughly enjoyed doing that check-in. I loved reading what everyone else is doing. I felt part of the group, in a way and I would have never reached for some of those WO if it wasn't for the check-in.
Echoing Pam, great idea and thank you Karla.

So now I'm looking for another short-term challenge check-in to get me motivated..
SherBear is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
check-ins, poll