Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-04-21, 07:57 PM  
Mickey12

I started keeping a log a couple of years ago, just writing down my workout in a square on a calendar. I never go back to review it except to count up my total workouts for the year. It's fun to see if I can break my record each year.

I also check to get a feel for how many days per week I'm working out, usually 6 days a week, but I don't have any set schedule.
Old 01-05-21, 01:42 AM  
Lauren

I've used an inexpensive monthly planner for years. Physical activity of any kind is noted, a dog walk, yoga, etc. If it's a strength workout I list the weights I use. I draw a small heart for each activity. I like to see several in the course of a week, but sometimes there's only one or two. I also record how my body felt when focusing on a specific genre. I note injuries, and workouts that were helpful in the recovery process. I keep the planners from year to year.

This record keeping came in handy a few years ago. I noticed a photo of myself with toned arms??! I wondered what workouts I was using at that time? Turns out I was using KCM, and only with light to moderate weight!

Perhaps this is just a season you are going through.. Until it passes, maybe you can put it aside? Or log anything you do towards good health, that nurtures your spirit, or aids in your recovery. You may appreciate a "recovery" log of your journey. Best wishes..
Lauren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-21, 08:37 AM  
donnamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfit View Post
Do you keep an exercise log no matter what kind of exercise you are (or are not) doing? I've kept a log for years, but now I can't run any more or do high impact activities ever again because of the permanent effects of an injury. It doesn't seem like there's much of importance to write in the log any more, and I haven't written anything down since the New Year started, and I'm thinking of just giving it up. What do you do? And what do you think?
Hi Bfit -

Is the reason that you don't want to or don't think you want to keep a log b/c you can't do what you used to do? If so, I think that is worth exploring - why do you feel this way? I understand there is a certain "grieving" process to go through when you are suddenly told you can't do something you once enjoyed due to injuries - but that doesn't mean that all the things you CAN do are worthless and not worth recording.

I would suggest to just take a look at WHY you don't want to keep a log any more -

I hope this isn't offensive....

Donna
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-21, 09:37 AM  
buffmama

I think a log can be both motivating to encourage us to do more and instructive if we want to change things up for any reason. Sometimes we don't realize the effect something has on us until after the fact - good or bad.
Old 01-05-21, 01:06 PM  
warriorprincess

I've logged my workouts on a calendar in my workout room as long as I can remember. Just the name of the workout and the duration, usually, but sometimes weight when I'm pushing my limits.

At the end of each month, I total them in different categories: cardio, weights, yoga, dance, etc. As I've done more streaming, this isn't as satisfying because I tend to do several shorter workouts of different categories in the same day. A ten-minute yoga routine shouldn't count the same as a one-hour yoga session. I may start totaling minutes this year.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
You're only 1 workout away from a good mood.
warriorprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-21, 05:25 PM  
Lori_Michigan

I logged everything for about six months this year since I was starting back after a couple crappy health years. But then around summertime I thought, hmm, I'm not going back to look at it, so why am I doing this? So I stopped. I haven't logged anything since. But I'm not entirely sure why I started and stopped to be honest.

I have started making it easier for myself though. Now I'm just doing designated instructor days, so Leslie/Jessica/other walking Monday, Tracie Long Tuesday, Ilaria/other kickbox Wednesday, Cathe Live Thursday, Ellen/fusion Friday. Sometimes I throw in KCM if I'm feeling something 30-minuteish on Saturday. I often don't know how I'll be feeling on any given day (thanks perimenopause!), so I'll go with a longer/shorter, lighter/easier for each instructor.
Lori_Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-21, 08:52 PM  
shoegoddess

https://www.staples.com/2021-at-a-gl...oduct_24416470

I've bought one of these each year since 2005. I write what workout I do each day.

I'm not a typical grandma!

Body by Cathe, Chalene and Dr. Niccole
-Me

A woman is like a tea bag. You never know how strong she is until she gets into hot water
-Eleanor Roosevelt

Well-behaved women seldom make history
-Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

Women are Angels
And when someone breaks our wings, we simply continue to fly....on a broomstick...we are flexible like that
-White Witch

Gotta love Maxine:
http://forum.videofitness.com/pictur...&pictureid=230
shoegoddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-21, 07:48 AM  
fanofladyvols

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lori_Michigan View Post
... Now I'm just doing designated instructor days, so Leslie/Jessica/other walking Monday, Tracie Long Tuesday, Ilaria/other kickbox Wednesday, Cathe Live Thursday, Ellen/fusion Friday...
Lori One of my checkin buddies (bee) has days with cute titles like this. But I also love your Tracie Tuesdays and Fusion Fridays!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoegoddess View Post
https://www.staples.com/2021-at-a-gl...oduct_24416470

I've bought one of these each year since 2005. I write what workout I do each day.
Cindy have you kept all those?

Never give up on your body!-- Miranda Esmonde-White

Word/Guiding Principle for 2024: Embrace: embrace my faith, my family, my friends, myself, the process, the progress, the hard work, the strength program I choose, the recovery methods and rest I need, my life, the good times, and the memories of good people.
fanofladyvols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-21, 10:48 AM  
KateTT
VF Supporter

I do! I keep a calendar log for my rotations and update that montly and an excel spreadsheet with ALL my workouts, dvd or streaming and keep track of the dates and make comments. I've done this for years and update it every day after I exercise. Keeps me on track, helps me keep track of just how many workouts I have (too many) and when I last did them.

When your body screams, tell it to shut up! Body Pump

"Where I am today is where my mind put me. Where I'll be tomorrow is where my mind put me." - Billy Blanks

I'm a SHOCKING GRADUATE of STS!!!! Feb - May '09!
I did it again! I'm a SHOCKING GRADUATE of STS!!!! Feb - May 2018!
Beachbody On Demand 80 Day Obsession - Full Rotation June - September 2018
Third time's a charm! I'm a SHOCKING GRADUATE of STS!!!! July-Oct 2020!
KateTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-21, 04:26 PM  
Cola

i find a log to be very helpful. it gives me a feeling of control and commitment, and even a reward.

i plan my rotation on a monthly calendar page. usually i list a category and not specific workout titles. when i exercise, i can easily see what im supposed to do and pick whatever media i want to use within the scheduled category. (note that my workouts are physically organized into the same categories)

after i finish a workout, i record its length in minutes on the calendar page, to indicate that i followed the rotation. this feels satisfying to me, it is my reward for following the plan.

then, because im trying to build an inventory of all of my workouts, i list the category, title, instructor, length and media type on the back of the calendar page.

if i dont complete a scheduled workout on the calendar, i put an X through that space. this indicates that i should try to do that workout another day or at least, ensure that it is not skipped next time.

i also record my weekly weigh-in and daily step count on the calendar, along with progress on my pushup and plank challenges.

at the end of each month i calculate various stats which i like to compare to those from the previous month. i like to see that im making progress and if im not then i know to make some changes.

also, just want to add that the 'just the workouts' check-in is a great place to keep a daily workout log and i find it helpful to see my info also presented in that format.
Cola is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
logging, workout log, workout logs