Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-24-17, 09:35 PM  
ncl

OT: what are your favorite Netflix or Prime shows?

Hey all. I am tired of summer, at least in terms of my shows being off! I am not finding anything I love on netflix or prime, either but figure there has to be something I am missing. I also can watch HBO or showtime shows.

What are your favorite streaming shows?

I just got caught up on House of Cards. Shows I have enjoyed include: Dancing with the Stars (though haven't really liked other competition shows as much), Homeland, Outlander, Greys Anatomy, Scandal, Homeland, Gracie and Frankie, Friday Night Lights, Shameless, Stranger Things.

Looking for some ideas. I typically watch after my workout when I am doing my stretches (I usually do my own stretches).
ncl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-17, 09:40 PM  
Joni O
VF Supporter

I just finished Ozark on Netflix. I also love Wentworth. And Grace and Frankie.
Joni O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-17, 09:42 PM  
alisoncooks

I just finished bingeing on all the seasons of Dr. Quinn, Medicine Woman. (Prime)
alisoncooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-17, 10:09 PM  
zraipel
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joni O View Post
I am about halfway through Ozark and it's really good! I listen to sports radio a lot and one of the hosts mentioned it one day so I thought I'd give it a shot. I had never heard of it before that so I had no idea what to expect. It's very interesting.

I don't think I should admit how many times I've cycled through entire series of The Office (US version). I wish I could find an equivalent comedy. The UK version was good, but I enjoy the US version much more. I've tried Parks and Recreation, but it doesn't give me as many laugh out loud moments or quite as diverse collection of characters. I like Big Bang Theory, but it's not nearly as re-watchable to me as The Office. If anyone has any alternative suggestions, I'm open to new options!

I like The Good Wife on Amazon Prime. I never realized it was a lawyer show until I started seeing what Prime had to offer. I always thought it was a "Desperate Housewives" type of show, so I wasn't interested. Then I read the description somewhere and thought I'd give it a try. I think I started to lose interest a little in Season 4, but it is a much better show than what I had figured it would be based on the name!

I have finally started watching Grey's Anatomy, after resisting since it started. I don't normally prefer Drama-y Dramas, so the few times I had caught it on TV, it just irritated me. But House, M.D. in my top 5 all time favorite TV shows (along with The Office) and I was just wanting something to fill the medical void (and they took Scrubs off of streaming on Netflix and made it DVD only) so I figured I'd try Grey's from the beginning. I found that I really like the non-drama stuff that happens on the show, but all the relationship stuff still really bugs me. I'm making my way through, but it's not a favorite. Nothing at all like House, but there really isn't anything close to that for me.

I really wish that Chicago PD / Chicago Fire / the Chicago-verse was available on either Netflix or Prime, but I'm stuck getting those on DVD.

Dexter is on Netflix, which I already have on DVD, but is a must-watch in my opinion.

Person of Interest is another of my Top 5 of all time and is also on Netflix. It's one that you really have to follow through from the beginning. I don't even know what to say about it, except it's really a great show (this is why I don't do workout DVD reviews... I have a hard time explaining the essence of something or why I personally like it).

The Wire is in my top 5 (so that's 4!) and is on Prime. Great cast, great characters.

Number 5 in my top 5 is White Collar (and it's on Netflix). It's kind of like a caper type show (think The Sting or Ocean's 11 or Fast Five - I love those types of movies!). Definitely a stranded on a desert island show for me, plus, if I were stranded on a desert island, being able to watch Matt Bomer every day would be a huge bonus

Cliffnotes:
My Top 5 all time Favorite shows are:
House, MD
The Office (US)
Person of Interest
The Wire
White Collar

That way you kind of know my taste in TV shows. If none of those interest you, my recommendations may not help, lol!

ETA: Aaauuggghh!! I can't believe I forgot to list Orphan Black!! That's number 6 in my Top 5, haha! It's on Prime.
Old 08-24-17, 10:10 PM  
NotThatGirl

I really enjoy Dexter and Mad Men. The Tudors, Medici's and Borgias are all good as well. Been enjoying Breaking Bad tool!

Last edited by NotThatGirl; 08-24-17 at 10:47 PM. Reason: revised verbiage
NotThatGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-17, 10:45 PM  
sherry7899

Stephanie-Scrubs is on Comedy Central a lot now Have you watched Modern Family?

I keep meaning to watch "House" but have only seen a few episodes. It seems like it would be really time consuming to start from the beginning. It takes place at a fictional hospital in my area, so I feel like I should watch it. They even had someone with a shopping bag from our favorite record store Princeton Record Exchange in one episode. I finally just caught up on the seasons of "ER " I did not watch when it was first on. I had given up on it around season 10 or 11. I ended up buying the series box set-big splurge!

Definitely watch "Breaking Bad" if you have not seen it yet. It is totally not the kind of show I normally watch (drugs/violence) but it was amazing.

Sherry

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-17, 11:28 PM  
LizEMA

I'm not familiar with what either site has in their current line-up so I can't be much help, but I do very much enjoy Prime's original series Bosch.

(And I give another big vote for The Wire, Wentworth and Orphan Black. )

Have you seen Netflix's The OA? I feel like if you enjoyed Stranger Things, you would enjoy that.

I also enjoy Veep and Silicon Valley on HBO (just started watching both of those this year) and Ray Donovan on Showtime. I, admit, though, those shows aren't for everyone, obviously. They will either appeal to you or they won't; I don't think there's any middle area there. Based on the shows you listed that you've watched, I can't tell which side you'll fall on.

Sorry I couldn't be more help!
Old 08-25-17, 05:18 AM  
CHAPLYN61

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherry7899 View Post
Stephanie-Scrubs is on Comedy Central a lot now Have you watched Modern Family?

I keep meaning to watch "House" but have only seen a few episodes. It seems like it would be really time consuming to start from the beginning. It takes place at a fictional hospital in my area, so I feel like I should watch it. They even had someone with a shopping bag from our favorite record store Princeton Record Exchange in one episode. I finally just caught up on the seasons of "ER " I did not watch when it was first on. I had given up on it around season 10 or 11. I ended up buying the series box set-big splurge!

Definitely watch "Breaking Bad" if you have not seen it yet. It is totally not the kind of show I normally watch (drugs/violence) but it was amazing.

Sherry
I have to agree with Sherry on Breaking Bad. It starts off slow, is not the best subject topic, but the character development is fantastic. The ending of the series did not disappoint. One of the best series from beginning to end. It just pulled me in by episode 3 and am glad I watched the whole thing.
Old 08-25-17, 05:20 AM  
CHAPLYN61

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joni O View Post
All great views. Love, love Frankie and Grace. Jane Fonda and Lilly Tomlin play against one another so well. Wentworth to me is a more serious version of Orange is the New Black. And Ozark was a great surprise !
Old 08-25-17, 05:24 AM  
Tugger31

I love Longmire. Sadly they're filming the last season now

I haven't seen the Bosch series, but I have read all of the books and love them.
Tugger31 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
favorite tv shows, netflix, off topic, prime