Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-02-10, 06:37 PM  
neatski

Quote:
Originally Posted by violingal3 View Post
Does anyone know how this compares to Jeanette Jenkins' Bikini Bootcamp intensity-wise?
It's harder than Bikini Bootcamp, but MUCH more fun. I hated Bikini Bootcamp- the intervals dragged on forever.

The most effective workout is the one you're not doing right now!

neatski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-10, 06:56 PM  
icebergslim

Quote:
Originally Posted by violingal3 View Post
Does anyone know how this compares to Jeanette Jenkins' Bikini Bootcamp intensity-wise?
For me, it is fast paced with 1 minute for cardio, upper, lower and core, done in 5 segments twice, oh and a bonus section at the end if you are still standing. It is up there with the intensity of Jeanette Jenkins' Bikini Bootcamp but just broken down differently. I like Jeanette's Bikini Bootcamp workout but it is a tad bit longer than Katami's Bootcamp.
icebergslim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-10, 08:32 AM  
violingal3

Thanks neatski and icebergslim! Jeanette's is probably the hardest bootcamp workout I have, so it's good to know I'll be getting something up to par or even better!
violingal3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-10, 03:25 PM  
Gymmie

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliel View Post
our second kitty likes to get involved with my workouts.
she also loves to play with drawstrings...she went in for
the kill during the plank series on katami's bootcamp.

http://www.flickr.com/x/t/0092009/gp/kombatgrrrl/292wv0

cute kitteh
“Think about Corey. Right at the finish line and his body gave up after one mile. You’re looking at yourself and if you have 100 plus pounds to lose, your body wants to be healthy.”--Bob Harper on Contestant Corey Pinkerton TBL10

DISCLOSURE: I had a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.

Beachbody Coach
Gymmie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-10, 06:39 PM  
Lizzo
VF Supporter

Darn you Neatski for enabling me!

Thank you though for the great review. This will definitely go on my wish list.

http://musingsofafitnessjunkie.blogspot.com
Lizzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-10, 07:42 PM  
Denise R
Exchange Moderator

My little review!

Hollywood Bootcamp 4x4 with Paul Katami

Hollywood Bootcamp 4x4 is an intense, 72 minute minute circuit style cardio and weight workout that is guaranteed to help you look your "Hollywood" best!

The main workout contains 5 circuits, each repeated twice with just a quick 30 second break to "quickly catch your breath". Each circuit contains exercises that are performed in blocks in the following arrangement: Cardio first, followed by lower body, then upper body and lastly working the core. Multi functional exercises really engage the entire core area (so you aren't just doing the core 1 time during each circuit, you are always actively engaging it throughout). Paul uses traditional/familiar cardio and toning exercises but he often adds in various intensity options. Each of the segments contained in the circuit run for 60 seconds. I loved that a timer is used to run down the seconds left in each of the 4 blocks. It was also nice that you didn't have to count "reps" like you would in traditional weight workouts. (here you'd just perform as many as you could with good form during the 60 second time frame) Terri Ann and Michelle workout with Paul during the workout. Neither of the girls demonstrate modifications however if any particular move is too difficult, often Paul will show an easier version to follow. Paul used proper form throughout the workout and even laughed at points in the workout when the "going got tough"!

The workout begins with a knee up. Paul usually will repeat each exercise for 60 seconds. Pick it up into a little jog and then move into a basic squat. Jumping jacks follow which really begin to warm the body. An easy shuffle forward and back moves into a solid forward lunge. The next warmup move is a knee hug to a deep rear lunge. (the core is kept active during the entire move) Block 1 begins the main part of the workout. A double rope jump begins and then shifts into a single knee. (Paul gradually picks up the pace here) Now onto leg work. Progressive front lunges are next. What this means is that Paul goes a little deeper into the movement with each rep. The upper body movement begins with three, 10 second versions of the bicep curl. (the varied hand positions work different areas of the muscles) The core is next and you'll perform a weighted squat rotation or what looks like a "windmill". I'd recommend light handweights for this move! Take your break, repeat Round 1. Round 2 begins with a burpee. This is a squat with a thrust out. It is a unique/tough move that gets the heart rate up AND works the core! The lower body move that follows is a squat to the side then move to a front lunge, repeating it equally to each side. Iron crosses are next for upper body. (I tried to use the same weight as the legs but quickly had to drop down as it is very shoulder intensive!) A 60 second forearm plank is next. Paul uses Terri Ann to show proper form for this move. Again, rest & repeat. Round 3 cardio starts off with a starters block, like you are running a race and you are pushing yourself off the runner's block, adding a jump at the top. (you'll do this for 30 seconds to each leg) Grab your weights and perform lateral lunges. You'll first go to the right, then the left, 30 seconds each side. The upper body move performed next is a 4 count run/4 count pushup. This is intense and pushes the heart rate up! The next core segment is a crunch with a double rotation at the top. Rest & repeat. Round 4 starts off with a bang---you'll perform squat jacks immediately followed by AIR JACKS! The next move for the legs is what Paul calls 1-2-3 Booty and it is a rear lunge. He calls it this due to the small changes he adds to the move for added difficulty and more "booty toning". Renegade rows follow. Paul completes these rows while remaining in a full plank. I, on the other hand, was spent and had to do them in a modified plank. (so take note as this move CAN BE MODIFIED!) Core is next and it's a crazy tough one! It is called chatarunga climbers and even Paul has to come up out of the low chatarunga early!! You'll feel this one for sure in your obliques. Rest and repeat. The last round is up. A double run into a squat, repeating this alternating the lead leg each time you go through the motion. Squat knee into a curtsy lunge is next, working the legs effectively. Moving on to the upper body, you'll move to the mat and perform skull crushers. These work the back of the arms, a hard area to tone for us ladies!! The final core set is an explosive X-Factor move, burning the entire ab area! (a low impact version is shown by Paul if this gets too hard to finish the set) Repeat block 5 one more time after your 30 second rest. Just when you think you are finished, Paul throws out a special bonus "compound set". Squat, crawl forward into a pushup, crawl back, then jump begins this set. Paul encourages you to go at your own pace and get out as many reps as you safely can. Next you'll grab your weights and perform a squat. Then you'll push the weights overhead and perform an overhead extension. To make it more challenging, Paul adds a balance move to this. Hover squats with a front raise hold follows. (you might need light weights on this one) Next up is a plie bicep curl. Paul promises 30 seconds into the 60 seconds set that if we can finish the plie pulses, we will be finished and low and behold---we are! Stretches are next and Paul trys to hold them for about 30 seconds. Side static lunge stretch begins, 1st to the right then the left. Next you'll perform down dog and stretch out the calves. Then move into up dog. Again into down dog for 10 seconds. Stand and perform a rounding out of the back (nice). A standing quad stretch follows. This requires some balance so you might need to grab a wall for stability if needed. Hip circles release the lower back and hips. A nice side stretch concludes the workout.

I greatly enjoyed this workout! It is truly a calorie burner and as noted, several times had to drop my weight selection. The only thing missing would have been chapters or even premixes (to maybe do all the cardio or all abs, etc). Two thumbs up!

"By far the most important application is those 18 inches between the table and your mouth. Your diet. Eat clean to get rid of fat." Robert Kennedy, Oxygen Magazine

"Having the body you want starts with loving the body you have." Mandy Ingber, Shape Magazine
Denise R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-10, 08:37 PM  
isebelleg44

I loved this workout! Defintely one of the best I have done this year. Paul Katami has created a tough workout that has no dread factor. It reminds of Cathe's bootcamp, only you go through each section twice. I wish she would do another version of that workout. My only complaint is the music, but since the workout is so good I can overlook it.
isebelleg44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-10, 09:00 PM  
BurnRN

I did this for the first time today and I loved it! Boy you girls weren't lying, it was tough. I really like how it's broken down into 60 seconds at a time; you have the feeling "I can do anything for a minute!". I had to modify on a number of the exercises but that's OK, I still got a great workout. Somehow when reading reviews I must have missed the part where he throws in the "bonus" block at the end. Here I thought I was done and there was more! While doing block 6 I found myself praying that he wasn't going to repeat it! Lol. And thank God he didn't! I found Paul to be very motivating but real and liked that it seemed to be tough for everyone.
BurnRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-10, 11:01 AM  
violingal3

Quote:
Originally Posted by icebergslim View Post
For me, it is fast paced with 1 minute for cardio, upper, lower and core, done in 5 segments twice, oh and a bonus section at the end if you are still standing. It is up there with the intensity of Jeanette Jenkins' Bikini Bootcamp but just broken down differently. I like Jeanette's Bikini Bootcamp workout but it is a tad bit longer than Katami's Bootcamp.
I finally did this one and its a keeper! I think Jeanette's is tougher just because you're so exhausted from the cardio and the sculpting portion just keeps your HR up there without much chance to come down. This workout reminded me of Jillian's 30DS, just tougher!
violingal3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-10, 12:39 PM  
isebelleg44

Jeanette's is defintely tougher if you do the whole thing, but I don't reach it for as often anymore. I will put it in my rotation and then talk myself out of it. I think the cardio is a little too repetitive for my tastes. I loved it when first came out, but my problem is that I keep buying new workouts and doing those instead.
isebelleg44 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boot camp, bootcamp, hollywood bootcamp, hollywood bootcamp 4 x 4, hollywood bootcamp 4 x4, paul katami