Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-10-10, 12:18 PM  
neatski

Paul Katami's Hollywood Bootcamp 4x4- most underrated workout of the year

Holy moley! This workout is the KING of all circuit-style cardio/weights training workouts that I've done this year, and since that's my favorite workout genre, I've done many. I can't believe this workout hasn't been discussed much on here, because it is sensational and exceptionally difficult and advanced.

I regularly dip my proverbial workout toes into intense interval and circuit workouts, including Insanity and many of Cathe's, and I've also done some of the other popular and tough ones including the Peak 10 workouts without too much difficulty. Well, let me emphasize that NONE of them prepared me for this workout.

The workout consists of a warmup, 5 circuits (each repeated twice with a 30 second break in between) including one minute each of cardio, legs, upper body and core, (surprise!) an additional strength/conditioning circuit, and finally a cool down, clocking in at 72 minutes total. The only equipment needed is a pair of dumbbells- I used 8 lbs mostly but was able to go up to 10 lbs for some of the leg work and had to drop to 5's for the iron crosses. The first circuit brings it up to a nice intensity, but don't be lulled into a false sense of security, because the circuits get significantly tougher as the workout progresses. I very rarely have to modify exercises in any workout that I do, but this one brought me to my knees, both literally and figuratively. During one of the grueling pushup segments, I had to switch to doing them off my knees- and to qualify how difficult those segments were, normally I can do many consecutive pushups off my toes with no breaks.

There are a few factors that make this workout so outstanding. First of all, almost all the exercises in the workout are multi-purpose, particularly since the majority of them also engage/work the heck out of your core. For example, in one circuit, Paul does squat thrusts for the cardio, then compound legwork that engages the core, then pushups and mountain climbers for the arms, followed by plank work for the core (YOW!). My entire body was burning by the end of that one. There are tons of pushups- way more than in any other circuit/interval workout I've seen except for Insanity- which are my favorite exercise for shaping my upper body and core. In addition, Paul is an excellent instructor, motivating without being too peppy (he reminds me of Cathe),and the workout combines both functional and conventional weight training so my muscles really felt worked at the end (unlike Peak 10 Cardio Strength, which I felt skimped on the strength). Finally, the exercises changed so quickly and I was working so hard that my highly attention-deficit self didn't get bored!

I did have a few minor criticisms of the workout. There are some minor production quality issues (sound in particular), but they did not interfere enough with the workout to bother me. The music free option does not work on the DVD, but when I played it on the computer, I chose Title 4 and that played the workout without music. More importantly, some of the exercises were repeated too quickly to keep good form (in my opinion), in particular some of the leg exercises. Doing front lunges that quickly is just asking for knee pain, and doing biceps curls that quickly will cause most people to use momentum rather than the muscle. However, Paul encourages you to go at your own pace, and I concentrated on form rather than speed for the exercises that I thought were completed too quickly.

I'm a huge fan of bootcamp style workouts, so if you're advanced and that's your thing, then you must try this. I'd love to hear if you can do this without having your booty handed to you!

The most effective workout is the one you're not doing right now!

neatski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-10, 12:29 PM  
RedPanda

I acquired this workout recently, but haven't had time to do it yet.

It sounds great - I'm both excited and afraid!
Old 11-10-10, 12:38 PM  
neatski

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedPanda View Post
I acquired this workout recently, but haven't had time to do it yet.

It sounds great - I'm both excited and afraid!
It is awesome. I was NOT expecting to be so thoroughly "owned" by this workout. But I think it'd be easy to modify until you get the feel for it (or don't want to kill yourself with intensity). For example, doing all those pushups and plank work off the knees would make it significantly easier.

Old 11-10-10, 12:41 PM  
momof10

I have three of his workouts. I just ordered his two new kettle bell workouts from Mary. I second the fact that he is very advanced!!!! You feel totally worked out to the point that you would not want to do an add on. His ball bc workout is very advanced also. His bands workout seems more intmediate to me compared to his other two workouts.

I am looking forward to getting his two new workouts. I think these will be similar to kettlenetics, but harder. From what I understand it is a good cardio workout. I enjoy kettlenetics and use an 8 pound kettle bell.

Thank you for the great review and plugging Paul for he is under rated as an instructor. I hope he makes lots more DVDs.

Cheryl
momof10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-10, 12:52 PM  
icebergslim

Neatski, I have been stating this about this workout for over a MONTH!! This is fun, advanced and hard but will keep your heartrate going the whole time. I do this workout once a week and my husband did it last night and could not finish it. Paul Katami is my new BFF....
icebergslim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-10, 02:26 PM  
A-Bot
VF Supporter

Yippee!!!! I had this on my wish list and I just broke over the weekend and bought it. Now I am SOOO glad I did. Neatski, I follow you a bit to see what you like cause I think our taste is sort of similar. This makes me really happy!!!!!! Thank you for posting this!!
A-Bot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-10, 02:33 PM  
Fitstick

Here is my usual question when a workout is characterized as 'very advanced'-- do you see any dread factor in these? I had my eyes on his med ball workout but wondered based on the length etc if it would just be too much to do it regularly. I typically don't have more than 60 mins in the morning.
Fitstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-10, 02:53 PM  
muffins135

I was just going to buy it from TotalFitnessdvds and it is out of stock. Hopefully Mary will have more in soon.
muffins135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-10, 03:31 PM  
neatski

A-Bot, yay!! That makes me feel really flattered, whether justified or not!! But yes, this workout is killer and I can't wait to hear what you think about it when you try it!

Fitstick, I don't have a dread factor with this workout, and that's primarily because you only have to do each exercise for 60 seconds (repeated twice, but still). I hate lots of repetition and long intervals. Also, although it is very tough, it is easy to modify (eg: going to the knees for the pushups, not using weights for the legs) to make it slightly less intense (but still tough).

Anyway, the first time I did the workout, I only did the first 4 out of the 5 circuits due to time constraints, and that brought the workout down to under 50 minutes including warmup and cool down. I will probably use it like that a lot, and that's what I'd recommend if time is a factor for you. You will still get a wonderful workout and feel thoroughly worked.

Old 11-11-10, 04:33 AM  
seagreen01
VF Supporter

I did this one for the first time yesterday! Wow! I felt humbled by the toughness of it. I did enjoy it though and will modify some things, quite a few things actually to avoid the dread factor. I really like Paul and it's great how he completes the whole workout. Even he has to push through it. Loved it!
seagreen01 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boot camp, bootcamp, hollywood bootcamp, hollywood bootcamp 4 x 4, hollywood bootcamp 4 x4, paul katami