Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins

Old 07-22-21, 08:13 PM  
bubbles76

Day 11 - Doonya dvd 2. Virgin and new instructor . I did the warm up, drills, and about 30 minutes of the workout. Ouch, not a workout to do if you have knee issues. Although I don't think my knees will hurt in the morning, I definitely felt that I had to take it easy on the knees. My carpet doesn't like the workout either. However, I can see how I would LOVE the workout if my knees and carpet would allow me to go all out

Karla, I think I'm going to try Angles, Lines, and Curves this weekend. It's a virgin workout, but not a new instructor.
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-21, 08:26 AM  
Kitten

Day 13 virgin

I have been watching Justina Ercole's youtube videos for a little while now. Her improve your pushup one is how I am now able to do full pushups.
I tried on of her workouts this morning - 10 minute core workout.

This was tough. It mixed standing, planks, dead bugs, etc for a very thorough workout.

At the end, Justina says you can do this one or two more times. Lol, no.

Keeper.
Kitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-21, 12:16 PM  
SherBear

Day 13 Chris Freytag
American Council on Exercise HIIT Series

I missed several days here due to a neck pull. I think it was a case of sleeping wrong but it took awhile to get better. Finally changed pillows. So jumping back in..

I think this is the only Chris DVD I own and I don't remember where i got it (probably Collage going out of business).
I really like her style.

2 discs, with four 30-min workouts, 20-min Yoga, and two 10-min blasts.
I did the 30 min total body.
It is the concept of 20 secs work, 10 secs rest.
Although she uses weights, it is not a muscle building WO.

Pluses
30 minutes with the 20/10 format equals a good heart workout. I was surprise how much I was huffing and puffing.
The moves that are plyo can be modified. She shows you.

Minuses
She doesn't verbally cue that the 20 secs is up. So if you are not looking at the TV, then you do what I did and worked through many of the 10 sec breaks. And I needed those!

My budget - I am going to look up Chris's other workouts. Because of this check-in I have already bought four videos from the other instructors mentioned via Mary's sale.
SherBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-21, 05:39 PM  
Pam61
VF Supporter

Day 12

Janice Lennard Yoga (60 minute practice.)
  • New Instructor/DVD (to me.)
  • Janice is a lovely, graceful 78 year old yogi who has a dance/ballet background.
  • This practice is good, though not for the faint of heart (or newbie.)
  • Best for intermediate and advanced yoga peeps.
  • Possible and still do-able for advanced beginners realizing they can't do it all.

I liked this, but it's not one I would reach for frequently. Maybe I would pull it out a few times a year as a gage to see how far I've come. It's not fast paced "Power Yoga" but Janice doesn't stay long in a pose so (once you get there) she's ready to move on. She is stunning to watch and very long and lean!

Janice also has a Pilates and Ballet/Barre workout which I haven't tried yet!
I also forgot to mention that she's been teaching and practicing yoga for 40+ years!

Current Rotation:
Dean Pohlman (Man Flow Yoga) 90 Days to Flexible Phase 3 (Intermediate)
Cathe Strength Training (ICE & LITE series)
Pam61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-21, 06:20 PM  
jetlitis

DAY 12 (July 23, 2021) virgin workouts

2010 Bob Harper Pure Burn Super Strength:
Workout 2 (25 minute beginner workout) I used 5 lb dumbbells -- I think this would be a good maintenance workout when you're short on time.

2010 Bob Harper Body Rev Cardio Conditioning:
Workout 2 (25 minute lower body workout) I used 3 lb dumbbells -- lots of balance work (not my favorite)

Both of the DVDs have 2 workouts, Workout 1 (long) and Workout 2 (short). A few years ago, I did both of the long workouts and from what I remember, they weren't for me. I totally forgot about the short workouts (until today), and decided to try them out. Of the 2 DVDs, I prefer the short workout from Pure Burn Super Strength.
jetlitis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-21, 06:30 PM  
Karla25

Day 12

Cindy Joseph & Robyn Stuhr Keeping Fit in Your 50s Strength

This is a gentle strength workout for those new or returning to exercise. I recently found this in a thrift store and thought it might be good for those days that I don't want to workout. It fits the bill.

It does have some shortcomings. The reps aren't always even, although that doesn't bother me. Also, they do the reps slowly. I just did them at a faster pace. There's a nice warm-up, but no stretching at the end. I thought that odd. I just popped in a Jessica stretch DVD.
Old 07-23-21, 07:50 PM  
bubbles76

Day 12 - Karla for you I tried Kari Anderson's Angles Lines and Curves. I liked it, but don't see myself reaching for it. I think I would reach for an Ellen or Balletone or yoga if I wanted the same stretched out but worked out feeling. I loved the music though. I may try her Center Floor (yet another virgin) after the 20 days is up.
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-21, 06:57 AM  
Kitten

Day 14 virgin.

Someone on reddit mentioned a new to them youtuber with walking workouts. I decided to check him out: https://www.youtube.com/c/FocusFitnessGlobal/featured

I tried a 30 minute step workout.

Pros: super basic if choreography isn't your thing or you just want to zone out. No talking so you can mute it and listen to something else. A timer on the side of the screen so you can see what % you have left

Cons: he had squats, which I just ignored and kept stepping instead. The workout ends rather abruptly with 2 minutes of stretching.

I'll totally do this again.
Kitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-21, 10:40 AM  
Vantreesta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pam61 View Post
Today I did (still in the shrink) Hot Yoga for Beginners with Matt Giordano! I looked to see that I bought this one just over five years ago along with his Gaiam Athletic Yoga:Yoga for Runners, which I liked the few times I did it.

Pros
  • Matt is hot (cute) for a much younger guy/yogi!
  • He doesn't talk a lot during voiceover.
  • Workout isn't as intimidating as I expected, so very do-able.
  • My stalker self thinks he lives in Connecticut.
  • Keeper, as my younger self would be very interested in Matt.

Cons
  • Matt is hot (cute) so I wanna just watch him, but I should be working out!
  • Since he doesn't talk much, there isn't much instruction or form pointers.
  • Not for an absolute beginner (see above.)
  • No introduction by Matt, like there was with his Yoga for Runner's DVD.
  • With "beginner' in the title, you'd think he'd explain what "hot" yoga is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vantreesta View Post
Pam, I don't think I knew Matt had another DVD! His post-run practice from Yoga for Runners is my favorite and most used after runs. I actually have it memorized so i can do it while i watch baseball if i run at night!

I should go check my shelves. I would feel quite embarrassed if I discover Hot Yoga for Beginners there!
So I checked my spreadsheet and not only do I have Hot Yoga for Beginners I have apparently done the Simmer Down practice!
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-21, 11:30 AM  
Pam61
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vantreesta View Post
So I checked my spreadsheet and not only do I have Hot Yoga for Beginners I have apparently done the Simmer Down practice!

We are more alike than you know!

Current Rotation:
Dean Pohlman (Man Flow Yoga) 90 Days to Flexible Phase 3 (Intermediate)
Cathe Strength Training (ICE & LITE series)
Pam61 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dustbunnies, new instructors, rotation ideas, virgins