Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-11-03, 11:21 AM  
Seabush

Have you gotten leaner with Cathe strength tapes

I have most of Cathe Friedrich's strength tapes. I've gotten stronger but not leaner using them. I have gotten leaner with other muscle endurance tapes. I'm wondering if this because her workouts emphasize moderate to heavy weights. Has anyone gotten leaner more defined muscles doing Cathe's strength tapes?

Crystal
Seabush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-03, 11:33 AM  
Kathryn
VF Supporter

That's a good question. I know I've gotten stronger. I did get more definition in my arms, especially with the Pyramids. But leaner? Actually, the Slim Series showed me that lighter weights are what I need to get leaner, at least in the lower body. I think heavier weights/fewer reps works better for my upper body, while lighter weights (or body weight) works better for my lower body, but I'll have to experiment a bit more.

When I go back to PH, for example, I'm going to keep the weights lower (I had gotten up to 45# plus a 19# weight vest--64# total, for those who don't want to do math today --for the squat section, but I'm reconsidering staying with 35# and working on focusing on the muscles that are workiing.

2010 season speed-walking 5K PR: 35:47
2011 season race-walking 5K PR: 34:42
Kathryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-03, 12:46 PM  
hdw
VF Supporter

I'm beginning to re-think about 'lifting as heavy as you can' concept. I'm not bulky (I think) yet, but I have come to realize that I don't need that much weight... I have thought many times over about buying a weighted belt. Right now I'm holding off on that thought and trying to use low-weight high-rep. I am also thinking that I have reached my 'genetic' limit as to how much weight I lift...

The problem I have with that is I much prefer strength type workout...
hdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-03, 12:50 PM  
SharonNYC
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally posted by hdw
I'm beginning to re-think about 'lifting as heavy as you can' concept. I'm not bulky (I think) yet, but I have come to realize that I don't need that much weight... I have thought many times over about buying a weighted belt. Right now I'm holding off on that thought and trying to use low-weight high-rep. I am also thinking that I have reached my 'genetic' limit as to how much weight I lift...

I think I've reached my body's limit for the amount of poundage it will take -- I just hope that's enough to prevent osteoporosis. That's the most important thing for me...in the long run. Not only do I like strength work, but I love the feeling of empowerment the resulting muscles give me -- puts a real spring in my step.
I'm what I am, and what I am,
Is back on Boogie Street.

Leonard Cohen/Sharon Robinson "Boogie Street" 10 New Songs.

(I have a professional/personal relationship with an instructor who produces video and book material relevant to this site.)
SharonNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-03, 03:31 PM  
frostyjan
VF Supporter

Re: Have you gotten leaner with Cathe strength tapes

Quote:
Originally posted by Seabush
I have most of Cathe Friedrich's strength tapes. I've gotten stronger but not leaner using them. I have gotten leaner with other muscle endurance tapes. I'm wondering if this because her workouts emphasize moderate to heavy weights. Has anyone gotten leaner more defined muscles doing Cathe's strength tapes?

Crystal
Hi,
Do you mean leaner muscles or leaner overall? I have found that no matter what I do--lift heavy, use more reps, less reps, fast reps, slow reps--what ever it is--- my muscles are getting defined, but it is the eating right, that makes the definiton apparent in my body . I think that if you are getting stronger, your muscles have to be changing shape to some degree. So to answer your question, yes I'd say Cathe has definitely given me more definition, but I don't know if my muscles would be shaped differently had I been doing something similar to the Slim Series for the last two years instead of Cathe. I've always mixed my workouts up so much it's hard to tell what is having the most effect, but one thing is for sure, increasing the NUMBER of weight workouts of whatever type has lead to becoming more lean overall. Hope that makes sense.
Janet
frostyjan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-03, 08:07 PM  
suebella
VF Supporter

Interesting...

Quote:
Originally posted by hdw

I love strength training, too. Mentally and physically.

I dont' do much of it for my lower body because between running and doing my three sessions of yoga a week, my legs have plenty of strength. I develop muscles in my lower body easily.

But the only thing that has ever made me lean is to eat a good diet in moderate portions. And I can't say more than that on this forum -

How people treat you is their karma; how you react is yours.”
- Author Unknown, but definitely not me.
suebella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-03, 01:09 AM  
BeckyG
VF Supporter

Stronger, but NOT leaner

I got my very first "major" muscle definition with MIS and the PS series -- but it didn't last. I kept up with the exercise, but I guess my body adapted in about 4 months, and I felt like I went backwards.

So I tried the CTX, S&H, and recently, the Intensity series. I've tried training hard, training light, increasing weight, decreasing weight -- but I lost that cool "definition" I saw initially. I found that I have trouble staying focused on Cathe's tapes for more than three weeks. For some reason these tapes don't have the "fun" factor and they also don't give me the rewarded feeling that something like the FIRM does.

I can lift more weight, but I don't feel that same preproceptive (sp?) feeling I get with other workouts. It's nice to have the strength, but I really work out for the "feeling in shape" and the "definition".

Maybe I have the wrong body type for these tapes? (originally ectomorph tending to endomorph) . Maybe it's my age -- 40? I'm tempted to buy the new Blast series, but I'm wary about the lack of fun I've had with the most recent sets.
BeckyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-03, 07:00 AM  
editstein
VF Supporter

Re: Interesting...

Quote:
Originally posted by suebella
But the only thing that has ever made me lean is to eat a good diet in moderate portions. And I can't say more than that on this forum -
Sorry to ask but why ?

Is it not allowed to talk about diet here ?
I am NOT asking it to grumble if we cannot but I would just like to avoid doing it in the future if I am not supposed to

Thanks

Samantha
editstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-03, 07:09 AM  
Jenne
VF Supporter

I have gotten leaner with PS... without losing a single pound, I've lost several inches on my ribcage, waist, lower abs, and thighs. However, I have a LONG way to go, since I'm still obese. I don't know if someone who is at goal weight would see such dramatic changes.
Jenne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-03, 08:03 AM  
Aline

Re: Re: Interesting...

Quote:
Originally posted by editstein
Sorry to ask but why ? Is it not allowed to talk about diet here ?
I am NOT asking it to grumble if we cannot but I would just like to avoid doing it in the future if I am not supposed to
here's the link that explains why:

http://www.videofitness.com/dietfreezone.php
Aline is offline   Reply With Quote