Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-19-21, 02:51 PM  
SandyT

Online Personal Trainers?

Hi All,
My husband finally decided he would like to start working out. (Yay!) He is 58 years old and sedentary. He is interested in building strength, but needs to start out slowly. (Whenever he tried to follow a lifting program when he was younger, he felt so bad afterwards that he always quit. This makes him quite reticent to do anything at all.) Maybe a lifting session twice a week to begin.
What he is looking for is an online personal trainer that can set him up with a program and, most important, critique his form live over zoom or something similar. (His form on squats is sooooo bad it is scary. He needs someone more knowledgeable than me to make sure he doesn't get hurt!!)
I have found one place online, The Strength Co., but it is $150 per hour. Is this a normal price? Does anyone have another suggestion? Help please
SandyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-21, 03:44 PM  
Jane P.
VF Supporter

Look locally, they might be cheaper. If he doesn't want a live trainer, a local person might be able to train him over zoom. The other thing is not to overdo it at first so he doesn't get so sore and discouraged. Remind him that the DOMS doesn't last forever. Also if he soaks in a cool bath afterwards (great in the summer) that will help.
Old 07-20-21, 10:36 AM  
SandyT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane P. View Post
Look locally, they might be cheaper. If he doesn't want a live trainer, a local person might be able to train him over zoom. The other thing is not to overdo it at first so he doesn't get so sore and discouraged. Remind him that the DOMS doesn't last forever. Also if he soaks in a cool bath afterwards (great in the summer) that will help.
Thanks for the idea. I will look into locals this evening.
Old 07-20-21, 01:05 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

i see a lot of ads on craigslist, with trainers offering both live or virtual training. you'll need to look on both the "services" side and "community" side. i think you can do an "all section" search in one fell swoop.

you can also check on Yelp. in fact, if you can cross-check between CL and yelp, it might help you decide which trainer to go with. Yelp added a button to click on "request a virtual consultation" on their site.

i also saw a crossfit group out in the park near the beach back in May. they did a quick body-weight workout with their mats. they were all spread out - about 20 of them. not saying your DH should consider a group training session, but i'm pretty sure trainers are also willing to go one-on-one.

let us know how it goes!

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-21, 06:56 AM  
SandyT

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzar View Post
i see a lot of ads on craigslist, with trainers offering both live or virtual training. you'll need to look on both the "services" side and "community" side. i think you can do an "all section" search in one fell swoop.

you can also check on Yelp. in fact, if you can cross-check between CL and yelp, it might help you decide which trainer to go with. Yelp added a button to click on "request a virtual consultation" on their site.

i also saw a crossfit group out in the park near the beach back in May. they did a quick body-weight workout with their mats. they were all spread out - about 20 of them. not saying your DH should consider a group training session, but i'm pretty sure trainers are also willing to go one-on-one.

let us know how it goes!
I did find a few trainers listed locally for much much much cheaper. But I didn’t think to check on craigslist. I will do that this afternoon.
DH is not at all worried about exercising with people/Covid. It’s just that in the past few years his free time is so limited that He really needs to work out at home so that there’s no travel time.

Tags
personal trainer, personal trainers