Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins

Old 02-17-21, 07:43 PM  
KateTT
VF Supporter

Hi all!
Today I did Katami 4x4 I Am Warrior 2. This one has a STRONG core focus. Every move seemed to work the core in some way. Like wood choppers and a fair amount of plank work. Good challenge. I wish Paul would say what weights they use besides heavy and light. I actually work between 3 sets of weights. 12, 15, 20s.

I have also been working through some of Rudy Mettia's practices on Udaya. There are SO many amazing choices on that site! Well worth the subscription if you ask me.

ChelePA: I have discovered that diet is 95% of it for me. For leaner anything..legs, arms, waist...I HAVE to watch what I eat. But bodyweight only would help too if you don't want to use weights.

manleym: glad you started 4x4. It is fun to me, or at least not boring since you go through each circuit only twice. Have fun!

Kim: I try to arrange my workouts by type. Combo (cardio and weights), Cardio, Kickboxing, Strength, Core, Yoga/Stretch. And then arranged alphabetically by instructor on the shelf.

bee: thanks on Cardio Fusion. I sure felt my legs yesterday. Now I'm getting so brave I'm going to try the Hardcore Extreme and the Terminator workouts in the coming weeks.

When your body screams, tell it to shut up! Body Pump

"Where I am today is where my mind put me. Where I'll be tomorrow is where my mind put me." - Billy Blanks

I'm a SHOCKING GRADUATE of STS!!!! Feb - May '09!
I did it again! I'm a SHOCKING GRADUATE of STS!!!! Feb - May 2018!
Beachbody On Demand 80 Day Obsession - Full Rotation June - September 2018
Third time's a charm! I'm a SHOCKING GRADUATE of STS!!!! July-Oct 2020!
KateTT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-21, 10:01 PM  
cataddict
VF Supporter

Hi all!

Monday I did Change 1, and wow! I didn't recall that it was as hard as it was, at least to me. Fast forward to Tuesday, and I was exhausted, my head ached and my right knee and leg hurt like he**. I spent several hours in bed trying to sleep. I suspect my Monday difficulty with the workout might be due to coming down with something? Anyway I woke up this morning feeling great---completely back to normal. No idea what was going on, maybe a bad night's sleep combined with allergies, but at any rate all seems to be okay with me now. So I did Change 2 today and the experience was different from Monday for sure. Quads 1 through 3 were challenging yet doable but that crazy Quad 4 with both burpees and pushups--yikes! What a finish! Then I did the rope repair and put my gloves on to handle the rope and this worked for me. I also enjoyed this "stretch" although I think I prefer the roller stretch more. I did use a roller on my thighs and calves as an add on.

I think I might do the Change workouts again next week before I switch to the Athlete workouts. I like them enough to do them again.

I'll do Double Down on Friday with the group! TBH I was worried that I might have the beginnings of Covid and was worried about that.

ChelePA, I agree with Kate and bee that there aren't really any exercises to make your legs smaller, at least none that I have found. I have muscular arms and legs, and honestly no matter what I weigh my legs and arms are still muscular. I attribute it to genetics, and like Kate, I pretty much have just learned to embrace it.

Kim, here's how I arrange my workouts. Step one is sort by year within each instructor, then arrange from the instructor I have the most of (Cathe, of course, but she obviously has to be one of the most prolific instructors). Actually now that I think about it she is the only one that I've organized by years. I may have only done that since I was doing the chronological Cathe rotation. Anyway that's my plan as to what I'm going to do.

manleym, girl, sorry, but the Cowboys days of being America's Team are looooong gone, if they ever existed as that in anyone's mind outside Texas lol. No disrespect intended to Tom Landry. He was a great coach.

horusosiris, I also like hearing your family stories. So many clever ideas as to how to cope with not being able to physically get together.

bee, I also have sympathy for our freezing and snowy Watulans, particularly for manley and her fellow Texans, who aren't used to coping with the crazy weather. We've had insane amounts of rain and temperature swings (it was 71 yesterday, and in the 30s today) but nothing that I would call extreme.

FN1, glad you are enjoying 4 x 4. Just love the roller and rope segments--I had forgotten how good they are! And manley and FN1, Paul's instruction and pace seems just right.

Waves to Nathalie, Garrie and FOLV!

Watula, Cheeto, Charli, Lux, Merlin, Rudy, Finley the Cat, Hobbes, Winston, and Finley the Dog Fan Girl!

Word of 2024: Patience
cataddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-21, 10:51 AM  
KateTT
VF Supporter

cataddict: you are right! I am prone to build muscle so that's what I focus on. I love having big quads!
Well done on Change 1 and 2!!!
Hope if it is/was covid that you are already over it.

manleym: long story short....my Dad was in the Air Force so I was never "from" anywhere. So I could pick my own football team to root for. Back in high school, that team was the Dallas Cowboys!! Roger Staubach anyone?
I picked them because I liked the uniform with the big star. LOL

Today I did Les Mills on Demand Body Step 120! Thirty years of Body Step!! OMG fun! Not killer hard, lots of options, lots of fun new moves and choreo that I could totally do. I like Cathe's step workouts a lot, but I don't have to think much with Body Step. Sweaty mess!

Speaking of foam rollers...do you guys have a favorite type to get? Strange enough, I do not own a foam roller. My brother says it's glorious!

Stay well, stay warm! for everyone.

"Where I am today is where my mind put me. Where I'll be tomorrow is where my mind put me." - Billy Blanks

Old 02-18-21, 11:40 AM  
ChelePA

Kate...let me know if you decide to get a Halo. I was thinking of asking for one for my upcoming birthday.

Today I needed to work off my anxiety over Winston's endoscopy so I chose to do a mix and match of Cathe's Lite Bonuses. I used the Metabolic warm-up and then did the Calorie Crushes based on difficulty for me. Metabolic, Rev'd Up Rumble, Body Weight and Bands using blue resistance and then Cardio Party. For a cool down I used the warm-up from Cardio Party since I find it fun stuff...plus it was perfect with the standing core crunches before moving on to Abs #1. I finished with the extended stretch. I was able to go deeper into the one glute stretch that I usually can't do without difficulty...slow progress.

Winston's procedure went well. Still has a small ulcerated area that causes some discomfort but should heal with medication over the next week or so. No constriction which was a big concern. And no more procedures!!! Thanks for always lending an ear with my concerns

I decided to change my Fun Friday workout if anyone who has a rebounder wants to join me. It's San Fran's 45 minute Cause4Paws Charity Bounce. They have a link to donate to the charity they adopted their dogs from. A no kill animal shelter. Feeling blessed that we have access to good care for Winston and can afford his daily needs.

Off to shovel snow...it's like Groundhog Day. So far just a few inches. Hoping everyone has a nice day!
ChelePA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-21, 12:07 PM  
horusosiris

Shovel Max again today (10 inches expected)!

Cataddict- The Dallas Cowboys are still America’s team- (LOL)! Most Dallas Cowboy fans are not Texans. I am glad that it was not Covid.

Manelym,- Sorry for all that you and your fellow Texans are going through with the weather and power outages. I hope that it is over very soon! Oh, I wish for those days with Emmitt, Landry, Troy, Michael and Deion. I am a Dallas Cowboy fan forever!

Mickey- I have all of my DVDs in binders. I have a separate binders for Cathe, KCM, The Firm (including all of Tracie Long's) and Beachbody programs but the others are arranged according to genres and within the genres I separate them by instructor. I have a kettlebell and weights only (separated by metabolic, heavy, etc.), barre and cardio (step, kickbox, dance spin, etc.) binders. I have a binders for flexibility (yoga, Pilates, stretching, etc.) and one for complete programs (MetaShred, Ultimatum, Cardio Karate, MetaShred. Supreme 90, Ruthless, Dozois’, Katami 4x4 programs, etc.).

Chel- more muscular legs (not bulky legs) will make your legs seem smaller. A variety of approaches for my legs works best for me, weights (moderate and heavy using bands, dumbbells,) and bodyweight exercises. I will join you for rebounding tomorrow. I am glad that Wintyton's procedure went well. That sound like a fun potpourri of Cathe's workouts!

Bee- That sounds like a very nice birthday celebration.

Kate- I have two foam rollers. One is smooth and the other has spikes for deep tissue myofascial release. If you have never foamed rolled before, I would recommend the smooth type.

I am getting ready to drink a cup of tea and read a good book!

Have a great Thursday and the weekend is almost here!
horusosiris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-21, 12:40 PM  
KateTT
VF Supporter

ChelePA: So far the only input I've found are reviews on Amazon. I'm still thinking about it.
I have a few of the LITE workouts on my Wish List. I really like the ones I have now and am thinking about just buying the few that I don't have. I like that set.
Yay..Winston is ok!

horusosiris: I have not foam rolled so smooth it is. Thanks!
What kinds of tea do you like? I'm a HUGE tea fan...I prefer green but drink all. Jasmine green tea is my fav!
Whatcha reading? I just finished Dan Brown's Deception Point. I could NOT put it down, it was so good. Kind of a political thriller involving NASA and the government. I just started his Digital Fortress. After that I will have read all his books.

Old 02-18-21, 01:57 PM  
ChelePA

Wanted to say Cataddict I’m glad you are feeling better. Any symptoms we automatically think Covid.
ChelePA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-21, 02:18 PM  
bee
VF Supporter

Hello Friends!

Kate, if you haven't ordered that foam roller yet..... well, and I'm not sure how you'd be able to know this ordering on line but..... I have two. One is sort of more "foamy" than the other -- the other one is pretty rigid/hard, and it can sometimes be a bit painful. So if you can try to get a more foamy one, that might be good. But either way, it seems like it takes a little building of tolerance and then you'll be good. And you'll be glad you have it, I'll bet! You can definitely handle Terminator and Hardcore Extreme! You are fierce!

Chele, glad to hear Winston's procedure is in the past! That's got to be a big relief. Wow, the workouts you used to take your mind off of it!! Hopefully he will just feel better and better!

Speaking of that.... cataddict, I'm glad it was nothing serious/lasting. I had a night like that where I felt awful. I was sure I was coming down with something and I really hoped it wasn't covid. Went to bed really early and then the next morning I woke up feeling fine. Strange. I had gotten super cold earlier in that day and I wonder if it just didn't agree with me or something.

You guys are making me so curious about those Katami workouts!!

And all that Cowboys talk is cracking me up!!

Ok, I don't know why.... but I had a bee in my bonnet about doing Willpower and Grace Mile High. I couldn't find it at first, but I persisted (so much for my dvd "organization"!) and found it eventually. My memory of that workout is that it was sort of tough. Well, I guess I am in better shape now. I almost felt like I wasted my time. So that was a bummer.

For Fun Friday, I was thinking I might do High Step Training again.... I don't know why but I feel like doing that one. We'll see.....

Hope you all have a nice day.....
Old 02-18-21, 07:10 PM  
manleym

Ugh for those of you getting more snow!! Shovel Max is hard work!! Hopefully all of this horrible weather will move out soon!!

Kim good point about Travis's Flexibility practice being advanced. Didn't even occur to me. But it should have. I can do Bird of Paradise on one side, but not the other. I guess it shows my imbalances between the 2 sides.

Bee love reading about all of the fun birthday celebrations you've been having with your friends! Sounds delightful! And what a breath of fresh air, literally, being able to hike around the Redwoods. Years ago a friend married in the Napa area and it was one of the best trips I've ever been on. Absolutely gorgeous area. I would love to go back. And glad your little spell was nothing serious and that it passed quickly. Oh, and watch Mary's Daily Deals for Katami 4x4. I bought the set for a really good price when it was a daily deal.

Cataddict I'm so glad you're feeling better. And sure glad it wasn't covid!! I like the idea of doing Change 1 & 2 again next week before moving on to Athlete. Like the idea of doing each Phase for 2 weeks. I know what you mean about those burpee/pushup move. I took out the pushup and just did a burpee with a jump. So in between intermediate and advanced version. I also did the intermediate version of the hot dogs. I did the rope stretch workout today and I like the foam roller one better too. The rope was a good stretch, but the foam roller just gets in there good. And yes, Paul's pace and instruction are excellent!

KateTT and Horusosiris GO BOYS!!! So glad Drew Person FINALLY got inducted into the hall of fame this year. It's about time!! Ha Kate that you picked the Boys because you liked the star!! Roger Staubach, Tom Landry - such men of character and integrity. Horusosiris, how did you become a fan? And I too am a HUGE tea fan, mostly green tea. Drink it all day long - hot and cold.

KateTT I LOVE foam rolling, but like Bee and others have mentioned, start off easy. It will bring you to your knees and make you whimper like a baby. But once you get in those tight muscles, it REALLY loosens them up. I've heard it be referred to as "poor man's massage." I foam rolled today after doing 4x4 rope stretch. I have several rollers - one long and soft, one short and hard. Kinda like yoga mats, you just can't have one.

ChelePA so glad Winston's procedure went well and that you are both recovering nicely. Yay to no more procedures! And regarding legs...the older I get the more of a losing battle it is...agree with Cataddict and others who have said it's mostly genetics and diet. Mostly genetics.

Horusosiris hope your tea and book were good. Did you do Cathe Live today? I thought it was a good workout. I like using bands and sliding devices. Not super intense, but a good solid lower body workout. And not boring.

I have most of my dvds organized by type 1st, then by instructor. So all of my step workouts are all together and within that all of the Cathe step are together, Cristi step together, etc. Same applies to cardio workouts, metabolic, kettlebell, weights, etc. Type of workout 1st, then by instructor.
However with some instructors I just keep all of their workouts together, like Tracie Long and Amy Bento. Maybe a space thing but theirs are together by instructor and not by workout type. Sets just stay as sets - I don't break them down.

I hope to be able to do Double Down tomorrow but may have to sub Amy's Breathless Body 4. DD is supposed to arrive tomorrow but I'm guessing it will be late with all this craziness.

Stay warm my friends! Hugs and waves to all!! Tomorrow is Friday! YAY!
manleym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-21, 09:15 PM  
Mickey12

Cataddict I'm also extremely happy to hear that you're feeling better and it was nothing serious. We're all second guessing every sniffle and it's very anxiety-provoking. Glad you're well.

ChelePA super happy that Winston's procedure is over and he's on the mend. He's such a bundle of love.

ManleyM you inspired me to do the Travis Flexibility practice from Level Up 108 tonight. It's a good one and I am seriously and completely impressed that you can do Bird of Paradise pose - even if it's just one side. Wow!

All this foam roller talk is making me want to to get mine out and do some rolling. I have to keep it in the closet because it's one of those things that Rudy likes to chew and eat, so out of sight, out of mind for me. Tony Horton's P90X2 has a lot of foam rolling in it. Mine is called the rumble roller and it's got bumpy spiky sort of things on it. It can be tortuous, but it does feel good when used properly.

So bummer that Manley's Double Down DVD maybe won't arrive on time for Fun Friday. And it was your idea.

I'm glad tomorrow is Friday. I took the day off from work and I'm looking forward to getting some chores done, maybe do some cooking and doing a lot of relaxing.

Have a great night, my fierce Watulan friends.

Tags
watulan check-in